Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

New PCA DE centerlock tech inspection requirement

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 01:10 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 80 Posts
Default New PCA DE centerlock tech inspection requirement

This just arrived in my inbox from Pete Tremper, PCA National DE Chair. Can you CL experts chime in on whether this inspection procedure is adequate/effective & doable for the average volunteer in the paddock. I note too that this new mandate will require all CL cars to have their dustcaps OFF during tech inspection.

Note: I removed Pete's contact info just to save his privacy a bit. Otherwise this email has not been edited.

We will need to implement this in our PCA Region. Please help me understand whether or not this is an effective process and if not what can be done to improve it on the ground at our next DE.

Thanks guys!

<begin quote>
October 25, 2012

To: Regional DE Chairs and Chief Driving Instructors
Re: Center-lock Wheel Inspection at Grid Tech

The purpose of this note is to provide you with information concerning the correct way to inspect center-lock wheel equipped cars at Grid Tech. You should verify that:

1. The center-lock nut has been replaced in accordance with the Porsche recall notice. (Note: The newer nut will NOT have torque a specification written on the face of the nut - See below)

OLD (labeled with 500Nm torque spec)

CURRENT (No torque spec shown, nut color is irrelevant)

2. The locking mechanism is fully engaged (See attached photos below)

Hub locked (center spline is flush to nut surface)

Hub NOT locked (center spline is recessed)

3. The wheels were torqued in accordance with Porsche specifications. (Note: You must verify with the car owner that the wheels were suspended off of the floor at the time of torquing as shown in the Owner’s Manual.)

If you have any questions, please contact me.
Pete

This email was sent to Region Chief Driving Instructors and National Staff and Region Presidents by Vu Nguyen and the National Porsche Club of America, Inc. You may opt-out of receiving emails from PCA National by updating your PCA membership record at our web site. Read the PCA privacy policy.
© Copyright 2012 Porsche Club of America Inc. All rights reserved.

<end quote>
Old 10-25-2012, 01:25 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 194 Posts

This is difficult to implement, but not impossible. It will require a separate area for CL inspection where each member's car gets lifted, corner by corner, and each wheel untorqued, retorqued, untorqued and finally retorqued (in that order) to 600Nm / 450lbft using a calibrated instrument. Then the center splines are re-seated and checked.

Alternatively, you can have a qualified tech "sign off" on this procedure in each member's pit.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:00 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
This is difficult to implement, but not impossible. It will require a separate area for CL inspection where each member's car gets lifted, corner by corner, and each wheel untorqued, retorqued, untorqued and finally retorqued (in that order) to 600Nm / 450lbft using a calibrated instrument. Then the center splines are re-seated and checked.

Alternatively, you can have a qualified tech "sign off" on this procedure in each member's pit.
I think you may have misinterpreted the above. Steps 1 & 2 are merely visual inspections. Step 3 is merely a question the tech inspector is supposed to ask the owner. At no point will anyone on the event staff touch the centerlocks. That would onboard WAY too much liability.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:58 PM
rubber_ducky
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts

I suppose in-focus photos would have been asking too much.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:09 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PCA could just outlaw street centerlocks and problem solved :-)
Old 10-25-2012, 03:29 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

The inspection procedure he sent you is doable by the tech volunteers. And the things in the inpsection that are called out are very important. Whether it's adequate/effective is debatable. Other questions would be how many hr do the CL's have on them. What tires have they been used with. Have they ever been operated at improper torque.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:30 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 337 Posts

I think it's a step in the right direction. Some months back, I asked our local POC tech steward about implementing something similar and he just shrugged it off. Given the collateral damage that can occur, I think it's in all organizers best interest to implement some procedure to reduce potential risk. Too many owners who simply don't know or don't care about the process.

I think the implementation could be:

1. the signoff on a separate PCA CL tech sheet by a dealer or qualified shop showing steps 1 - 3 have been completed, followed by a visual inspection of items #1 and #2. If either is failed at the track, they must be remedied before the car can go on track;

2. if no prior signoff, follow steps #1 and 2. For step 3, the owner should be asked to demonstrate an understanding of the torque spec and process. If the owner is not able to recite a basic understanding, they should be directed to the Porsche bulletin, possibly even given it (unless that is too much of a potential liability concern).

I think if either is failed, the driver be asked to return another day. The event description should have a clear note explaining special instructions for CL owners. Yes, the process is a PITA but look at the design we are dealing with. I think it would help educate owners who track about the process though.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:36 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I should add that I'm not sure it's known how many hrs they can take before they time out. And it probably depends on how grippy the tires used were. There is internal documemts re: determing damage due to improper torque. It's not something to be done in the tech line though.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:37 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I witnessed CL inspection procedure at NJMP Lightning with Pete there. Caps removed before going through tech a simple procedure to verify properly locked. Then keep your fingers crossed. Hubs will probably become a wear item after "X" number of hours.

Last edited by Gofishracing; 10-25-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:00 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Better late than never. I could never understand why it was not required in the past.

Step 1 about the recall: If recall was not carried out, owner should be informed and asked to get it done before the NEXT event.

Step 2 is appropriate and should have been there from the beginning. It is not a hardship to inspect this at tech.

Step 3 might be a bit much to ask of an owner who does not get involved in the maintenance of his car. This should be covered on the tech inspection form, and signed off by the tech who did the inspection.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:56 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

I do see a lot of knuckleheads at the track that have the nut stuck in and not pulled out where it should be. I usually try to help them out and explain the problem if they are unaware.

Good for PCA. Doubt this inspection will make any difference. Improper torquing procedure is what will make the hubs fail and you cannot see that at a tech inspection. I should know
Old 10-25-2012, 06:39 PM
ray09c2s
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
I think it's a step in the right direction. Some months back, I asked our local POC tech steward about implementing something similar and he just shrugged it off. Given the collateral damage that can occur, I think it's in all organizers best interest to implement some procedure to reduce potential risk. Too many owners who simply don't know or don't care about the process.

I think the implementation could be:

1. the signoff on a separate PCA CL tech sheet by a dealer or qualified shop showing steps 1 - 3 have been completed, followed by a visual inspection of items #1 and #2. If either is failed at the track, they must be remedied before the car can go on track;

2. if no prior signoff, follow steps #1 and 2. For step 3, the owner should be asked to demonstrate an understanding of the torque spec and process. If the owner is not able to recite a basic understanding, they should be directed to the Porsche bulletin, possibly even given it (unless that is too much of a potential liability concern).

I think if either is failed, the driver be asked to return another day. The event description should have a clear note explaining special instructions for CL owners. Yes, the process is a PITA but look at the design we are dealing with. I think it would help educate owners who track about the process though.
I have my dealer tech the car before each DE, and only use their best mechanic to check and handle my wheels, with me there assisting. I agree with your recommendation, and would not want anyone checking the torque at the tech inspection...can you imagine the delays if they decided to do this?

Last edited by ray09c2s; 10-25-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:09 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
I do see a lot of knuckleheads at the track that have the nut stuck in and not pulled out where it should be. I usually try to help them out and explain the problem if they are unaware.

Good for PCA. Doubt this inspection will make any difference. Improper torquing procedure is what will make the hubs fail and you cannot see that at a tech inspection. I should know
What he said.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:48 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Plus 2 on what GT3DE said...only a few guys I know that have center locks actually do,there own wheel work and do it correctly and others I've talked to are either clueless and did the procedure wrong.
It's good PCA noticed that Porsche Center Locks have issues and the car owners have issues. Porsche really messed up big time and never will admit it with putting this stupid center lock system on its cars.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:30 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Originally Posted by GT3DE

What he said.
+1

When Giesha loses a wheel you all have something to work about

Quick Reply: New PCA DE centerlock tech inspection requirement