Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

goodbye 981S, hello ..

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 10:55 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 381 Posts

Congrats. You are going to love it! I came via a similar route (Cayman S), but it took me 18 months to make the switch. Well played sir.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:30 PM
cbweaver1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats! You are driving the best GT for touring Europe. Ask me how I know ? The season is getting a bit late but next year start using it the way it was intended by touring with it to and from these incredible tracks. Enjoy in good health!
Old 10-25-2012, 01:34 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Congrats on the purchase that is one great looking ride !! Love the color selection you picked for both. Can't wait to hear how you compare them. Enjoy
Old 10-25-2012, 02:01 PM
Darkstar1
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 135 Posts

Looks like a proper upgrade to me...
Old 10-25-2012, 02:51 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cbweaver1
Congrats! You are driving the best GT for touring Europe. Ask me how I know ? The season is getting a bit late but next year start using it the way it was intended by touring with it to and from these incredible tracks. Enjoy in good health!
I will use it at least once a week, even in winter, so long as it's dry ..

the engine noise is so sensational, I really cannot wait till Sat am .. around 38 hours away, but I'm not really counting.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:07 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Drove around 140 miles today ..

It's more amazing than I remember it.

Amazing composure at all speeds, including town.

It's so incredibly quick -- look up, look down and the mph numbers have changed dramatically. Meanwhile, the noise from the back has gone from loud to nearly obnoxious And the rear window vibrates ..

Much more raw, and much noisier than the 981S. But ..

the car is ALIVE .. it grabs your attention, and holds it completely.

It is screaming out to be let loose on track .. I'll take it to Norway next June for Petrolhead Nirvana's Viking Tour.

First owner did 6500 miles, and original tyres still have 5mm thread all round .. it's never really been stretched

Old 11-10-2012, 02:30 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Decided to add some colour to the interior .. matching the instrument needles, and the calipers.

Porsche only sell complete units, so I now have 2 spare black seat belt units ..

Old 11-11-2012, 01:36 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,358 Posts

gotta have speed yellow belts!
Old 11-11-2012, 02:50 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Great car. Enjoy. Love the belts.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:04 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

1100 miles and 2 months later, the love affair with my GT3 is getting stronger than ever. Every drive is an occasion, and a delight. I enjoy warming up the engine, transmission and tyres, checking the gauges to watch progress of warming fluids and tyres, and the car becoming progressively more ‘on’. Bit like a tortured genuis’s routine for waking up in the morning, like someone who doesn’t enjoy waking up, but once up, is lots of fun.

Thanks to relatively benign winter conditions, I have been able to drive the GT3 on all sort of roads, but not yet on track.

I find it a fine motorway car, lots of thrust, well damped, yet awake and responsive. I don’t find it noisy or uncomfortable. I rarely have the radio or music on, such is the aural pleasure of engine. I press the “Sport” button quite a bit to change tunes. There is enough going on to ensure that a motorway drive never produces a yawn. The Sound Package Plus is much better (depth, clarity and volume) than I expected .. perhaps the significantly increased passenger compartment volume (compared to a Boxster) makes all the difference.

The Pirelli Corsas are fine in the rain, but deep puddles have meant that I have experienced a little more front end lightness than I am used to. In the drier conditions, the grip is much better than anything I have ever used, but early days. Also, Pirelli have produced N rated (N1) Corsas for the 7 GT3 which are now available. I will probably fit those again. In 7500 miles, my car is still on original tyres front and rear, with about 5mm on the front and 4mm on the rears. The first owner really didn’t drive it very hard at all.

On A and B roads, I have scared myself a number of times .. corners come up a lot quicker than I am used to, but the PCCBs are awesome. You can brake very late, and steer into and out of corners with abandon. I am still taking it carefully, but each time I push a little harder, I am amazed how utterly composed and balanced the car is. I have scratched no more than 20% of its abilities. Each time I think I’m being daring, the car responds and asks: “is that it?”.

I could listen to the engine all day long. It sounds completely analogue, unfiltered, natural and sometimes a little bit rude. Very rude past 5k rpm and onwards .. I cannot imagine ever tiring of the noise. Main disadvantage is 5k and beyond engine speeds are not often doable on public roads. When you do, well, it’s such a treat. Naughty, but what cat does not like cream?

Coming from Boxsters, I love the feel of the GT3, the much more interesting and varied sounds from the engine, the sense of driving a very large go kart, and most of all, the sensation of the large pendulous thing at the back on the entire driving experience. It feels so safe, and yet at the same time, somewhat terrifying. It very much keeps you on your toes. And you delight in being on your toes ..

Is it a 100% race car and raw experience? No, but it’s close. Think of it as camping in the wilderness, but with all the right equipment to ensure that you are warm and safe. You get the experience of the wilderness, but with some comfort and not too much modern conveniences, which might remove the essence of camping.

The GT3, it’s the real thing. Once sampled, always desired.

I am merely at the beginning of starting to uncover the wonder that is Porsche’s incredible GT3.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:28 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by sfo
1100 miles and 2 months later, the love affair with my GT3 is getting stronger than ever. Every drive is an occasion, and a delight. I enjoy warming up the engine, transmission and tyres, checking the gauges to watch progress of warming fluids and tyres, and the car becoming progressively more ‘on’. Bit like a tortured genuis’s routine for waking up in the morning, like someone who doesn’t enjoy waking up, but once up, is lots of fun.

Thanks to relatively benign winter conditions, I have been able to drive the GT3 on all sort of roads, but not yet on track.

I find it a fine motorway car, lots of thrust, well damped, yet awake and responsive. I don’t find it noisy or uncomfortable. I rarely have the radio or music on, such is the aural pleasure of engine. I press the “Sport” button quite a bit to change tunes. There is enough going on to ensure that a motorway drive never produces a yawn. The Sound Package Plus is much better (depth, clarity and volume) than I expected .. perhaps the significantly increased passenger compartment volume (compared to a Boxster) makes all the difference.

The Pirelli Corsas are fine in the rain, but deep puddles have meant that I have experienced a little more front end lightness than I am used to. In the drier conditions, the grip is much better than anything I have ever used, but early days. Also, Pirelli have produced N rated (N1) Corsas for the 7 GT3 which are now available. I will probably fit those again. In 7500 miles, my car is still on original tyres front and rear, with about 5mm on the front and 4mm on the rears. The first owner really didn’t drive it very hard at all.

On A and B roads, I have scared myself a number of times .. corners come up a lot quicker than I am used to, but the PCCBs are awesome. You can brake very late, and steer into and out of corners with abandon. I am still taking it carefully, but each time I push a little harder, I am amazed how utterly composed and balanced the car is. I have scratched no more than 20% of its abilities. Each time I think I’m being daring, the car responds and asks: “is that it?”.

I could listen to the engine all day long. It sounds completely analogue, unfiltered, natural and sometimes a little bit rude. Very rude past 5k rpm and onwards .. I cannot imagine ever tiring of the noise. Main disadvantage is 5k and beyond engine speeds are not often doable on public roads. When you do, well, it’s such a treat. Naughty, but what cat does not like cream?

Coming from Boxsters, I love the feel of the GT3, the much more interesting and varied sounds from the engine, the sense of driving a very large go kart, and most of all, the sensation of the large pendulous thing at the back on the entire driving experience. It feels so safe, and yet at the same time, somewhat terrifying. It very much keeps you on your toes. And you delight in being on your toes ..

Is it a 100% race car and raw experience? No, but it’s close. Think of it as camping in the wilderness, but with all the right equipment to ensure that you are warm and safe. You get the experience of the wilderness, but with some comfort and not too much modern conveniences, which might remove the essence of camping.

I am merely at the beginning of starting to uncover the wonder that is Porsche’s incredible GT3.
This is awesome.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:35 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sfo

Hi Sfo,

Your words could have been written by me too..this is how I got started with the whole thing too..in a GT3 - now I own a GT3 and a GT2..- listening to music in these cars is a distraction.

Two more things:

1) great pictures - or great picture you took at Reims circuit..please more of that ..

2) Tell us a bit more about 997.2GT3 - vs 981 with regrad to chassis performance..its always said that the 981 is the best Porsche chassis for the moment..better handling than 991 etc..now you owned the 981..compared to the GT3..which behaves better according to you in corners, steering feel, braking?
Of course..100Hp will be felt..thats clear..

Thanks for your impressions and let me know if you come to Spa..
all the best,
Old 01-08-2013, 04:23 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beautiful car... And it seems like the car came with every option. White is the fastest color.... Hehe I'm biased
Old 01-08-2013, 05:53 PM
nuge design
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From SFO...

"Think of it as camping in the wilderness, but with all the right equipment to ensure that you are warm and safe. You get the experience of the wilderness, but with some comfort and not too much modern conveniences, which might remove the essence of camping."

Nice camper indeed... I too, like the white. Congrats.

Last edited by nuge design; 01-08-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:35 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 14 Posts

I like the camping comparison!
Great car, pics & write up.
Thanks

Quick Reply: goodbye 981S, hello ..