Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Pagid RS 29 to PFC 08

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 08:12 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

My $0.02
I tried 08. They felt like they had no bite. It was like steel rubbing against steel. The 06 are much better.
Apex Performance is great to deal with btw.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:34 PM
senna
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't 06 wear faster than 08?
Old 10-22-2012, 08:54 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
Monday I did a track day and at noon my pads looked like this (PFC08):

Drove with them for +2 hours in the afternoon with zero issues or brake fade.

Concerning caliper bolts: replace them with the Porsche Motorsport studs. No more worries about breaking the alu thread, and no bolt replacement needed either.

I wouldn't bother with steel brake lines. OEM works just fine.
Holy over braking....where were you?

They dont wear that much at Sebring
Old 10-22-2012, 11:19 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,591 Likes on 737 Posts

The Ring is no Sebring...
Old 10-23-2012, 04:43 AM
nigt3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
The ring is not hard on brakes probably one of the easiest!! The F1 circuit at the ring is different, it is hard on brakes!!
Old 10-23-2012, 08:50 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
I wouldn't bother with steel brake lines. OEM works just fine.
What if the OEM lines are 3+ years old and you are replacing them them as a safety/wear item?
Old 10-23-2012, 04:30 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
Holy over braking....where were you?

They dont wear that much at Sebring
Originally Posted by nigt3
The ring is not hard on brakes probably one of the easiest!! The F1 circuit at the ring is different, it is hard on brakes!!
Hold your horses!

This is how they looked at noon. Nowhere did I state they were NEW when starting the trackday! These pads were used in all trackdays I did this year.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:39 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

It was the hardest on brakes for me, no idea where I was going = LOTS of braking! ;-)
Old 10-23-2012, 05:07 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It was the hardest on brakes for me, no idea where I was going = LOTS of braking! ;-)
That's the wisest thing a man can do on his first visits there. Better screw up a brake disc than an entire car
Old 11-21-2012, 09:06 AM
rickgrande
Advanced

Default Replacement Rotors?

I just ran 2 days at Road Atlanta this weekend and destroyed my new Sebro Slotted rotors and Pagid Black pads. I was thinking of just upgrading to Yellows, but after this, it seems like you guys have had great luck with PFC08s.

What rotors are you using? Have any of you tried Performance Friction's Direct Drive Rotors? seems like an "affordable" way to go from 1 piece rotor to 2 piece for better heat dissipation.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:02 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

I switched from Pagid Yellows to PFC08 and am not going back to Pagid. The PFC have more bite, last longer, feel more solid..just a better all around brake pad.
Years ago I tried PFC97 and 01's and didn't like them and went back to Pagid but the PFC08 is THE pad to have for sure!
Old 11-21-2012, 10:34 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rickgrande
I just ran 2 days at Road Atlanta this weekend and destroyed my new Sebro Slotted rotors and Pagid Black pads. I was thinking of just upgrading to Yellows, but after this, it seems like you guys have had great luck with PFC08s.

What rotors are you using? Have any of you tried Performance Friction's Direct Drive Rotors? seems like an "affordable" way to go from 1 piece rotor to 2 piece for better heat dissipation.
For what car is this?

I lost brakes twice when the Pagids just no longer stopped the car.

Both times after 2-3 flyers at Sebring and VIR hammering the brakes and then at the end of the long straight into T1 at VIR and T17 at Sebring I went for brakes, decent firm pedal, trying to put my foot through the floor, no ABS, no normal decelleration.

Its as if once you cook them and they cool down a bit the get spungy and wont bite anymore. Even with better than 50% material left. As soon as you have about 4 days on them overcooking them, they get like that in general as soon as they warm up and you lose seconds per lap.

This never happened to me with PFC08, they are good till the last 1-mm of pad material. They are slightly harder on rotors and they do wear maybe 10-20% quicker then Pagid, but with overal useful life is better with PFC.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:42 AM
rickgrande
Advanced

Default track pads and rotors

I have a 996 C2, but its tweaked with JRZs and GT3 sway bars and Tarett bits, but I do run on street tires (Star*) and Gt3 brake cooling ducts

good to know on the Pagid yellow's. i'll have to send them back and suffer the restocking fee and shipping costs, but sounds like a worthwhile endeavor.

Anyone have any experience with the Performance Friction's Direct Drive Rotors I mentioned earlier. My sebro slotted rotors were warped after just 1 of the 2 days on track. Not sure if its due to the Pagid blacks or bad rotors. I have a new batch of Motul brake fluid in the car, so the brakes never faded, they just felt like crap.

Brakes that don't vibrate like crazy, and I might have gotten under my 1:45 time at Road Atlanta.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:34 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 904 Likes on 342 Posts

Dumb question, but are you sure they are warped vs. excess pad deposits on the surface?

I forgot to post after I tracked my 08's for the first time. Past track days with my car were all on stock pads and upgraded fluid. After some seat time, I realized that the stock pads were not up to task anymore for me. By the end of almost every track session (Laguna was the last on stock pads), I would start losing stopping power badly to the point where I'd have to back off to save the brakes. I swapped in the 08's and did 2 days at Reno Fernley and was amazed at the difference. Never once faded them...and I tried. Never once got a soft pedal either. Bite and modulation were great. Stopping power more what I expected from this car. Overall, HUGE improvement and was extremely pleased with the pads. Could not see any noticable wear on the pads or rotors either. Savvy also drove my car for a couple of laps seemed to love them.

Now I understand why they are the official pads of the DE cup.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:24 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Pagids are good once they are hot but after the cool down they are spongy feeling with less stopping power when hot again. It's like after 1 hot heat cycle they are a lot worse. For a endurance race 1 time use I can see people liking them but after that it's over. PFC08's are not like this.

Quick Reply: Pagid RS 29 to PFC 08