Pagid RS 29 to PFC 08

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 01:16 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I completely disagree.
well, i spoke with enough people who race and use both pfc and pagids and that is what I was told so far. pfc is more agressive to rotors and generates more heat, RS29 is less damaging to rotors, creates less heat but requires more pressure on the pedal compared to pfc.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:20 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

OK, maybe it is a bit harder on the rotors, but rotors cost the same as pads or less, so even if so, moot point but I got the same days out of the rotors.

More power for modulation? I put the pedal to the floor and the car does not slow down or gets even near ABS... This is pad fade and they do it every time when PFC never does. I have seen no one switch back from PFC to a Pagid.

This is only the 30 or so GT3's we run with in the southeast so heat might be the difference..
Old 10-18-2012, 01:22 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, maybe it is a bit harder on the rotors, but rotors cost the same as pads or less, so even if so, moot point but I got the same days out of the rotors.

More power for modulation? I put the pedal to the floor and the car does not slow down or gets even near ABS... This is pad fade and they do it every time when PFC never does. I have seen no one switch back from PFC to a Pagid.

This is only the 30 or so GT3's we run with in the southeast so heat might be the difference..
+1 ... I have first hand experience. The only Pagid that worked for me and that was just when new were the blacks, and those ate the rotors like nothing.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:24 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

one guy i spoke to runs 997 cup car and on his car rs29 does not fade, so, i find it odd if it fades on a street gt3.
if you eat up rotors in the middle of the race it is no matter how much they do cost... and i do not argue for DE PFC is 'better' as we never have such long sessions anyway and, well, rotors are indeed replacable.
i just do not see how RS29 can fade at a regular DE, it is technically impossible due to pads max operating temperature.

as of cracks - i use pagids all season, my rotors do not have any cracks, a guy who runs with me uses PFC, he runs slower lap times than I do but his front rotors are all cracked up now - we both replaced them in the beginning of the season. so, whatever his PFC06 does to his rotors RS29 pads do not do to mine and it works fine for me so far.

if you need more pressure in brake lines or a better pedal feel, whatever what that pressure is - put on dual master cylinder from cup car. it helps. or try a car with it installed first to see if you like it.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:24 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PFC08's are ordered....thanks for all your valued input guys.

I'll look forward to trying them out in May '13 as our season is over here in Quebec.

Note: Clarke at Apex corrected me on the Part Numbers.
0991.08.17.44 front (not 45)
1299 08.18.44 rear

Derek
Old 10-18-2012, 01:27 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Derek,

Your car belongs in the GT3DE CUP Nov-Feb...
Plenty of top notch shops where you can leave it for safe keeping and service in between events..
Old 10-18-2012, 01:32 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

PFC > Pagid, I have a 20 pound box full of half used Pagid race pads I'll sell cheap to anyone that wants them.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:54 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Pagid works great the 1st day for me but it's those other days where it changes and does not feel as good that gets me. PFC08 does not change in feel like the Pagid does. It think this is the greatest advantage for PFC and guys like us that do multipul DE events on 1 set of pads.

With Pagids it's like they are a good long endurance pad for 1 race 1 time use...they work well for that....after that 1 all day race or DE and you go to use them in a few weeks they are not the same and feel a lot worse.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:57 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by utkinpol
RS29 are eduro grade compound, it cannot fade, it is impossible. they do not bite in as hard as PFC but PFC do heat up rotors more and you`ll get cracks on rotors faster. that is why RS29 is preferable if you have fast tracks with a lot of braking (less heat to dissipate compared to PFC) and run long sessions (do not eat rotors as fast as PFC).

rs29 requies more pedal pressure compared to PFC but those pads do not fade.
I really don't agree...not with the PFC08 pads. They PFC97 and 01 yes they transferred heat to the caliper like crazy and ate the rotors in half the time Pagid Yellows do....but the PFC08 pads are much different and much better for the way we use them.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:07 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Derek,

Your car belongs in the GT3DE CUP Nov-Feb...
Plenty of top notch shops where you can leave it for safe keeping and service in between events..
Thanks for the invite Peter!

Hope to make it down your way one day but it's not in the cards so far....
Old 10-18-2012, 02:12 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
Even without dealing with pads at 50% life the PFC control and release are better in my mind than the Pagid. PFC08s have great initial bite but not harsh enough to trigger the ABS. As the heat gets into the pad it really starts to work and modulation of the pedal is easier. The release is a nice smooth release allowing easy trail braking that won't overload the front end of the car or upset the back end. THis is the same on the pad from Day 1 to the end of the product.
Good info. I've had my PFC08's for 2 months waiting to go in, just squeezing out the last bit of the RS29's before I ditch them. Last weekend at Mid-Ohio was about all she wrote for the Pagids.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:19 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
I really don't agree...not with the PFC08 pads. They PFC97 and 01 yes they transferred heat to the caliper like crazy and ate the rotors in half the time Pagid Yellows do....but the PFC08 pads are much different and much better for the way we use them.
well, it is time for me to try them out then. good to know.

i just looked at apex site - for my car they only have 08 compound for fronts and not for rears. and they do not have 97 for my rears neither, just 01 or 06. maybe by spring it will change, as of now it renders it out for me.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:59 PM
mdrums
Race Director

i just looked at apex site - for my car they only have 08 compound for fronts and not for rears. and they do not have 97 for my rears neither, just 01 or 06. maybe by spring it will change, as of now it renders it out for me.
Its best to call Clark at Apex on the part numbers...I've found issue with PFC part numbers.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:09 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I hope they have them in your size
Old 10-18-2012, 03:37 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

as of cracks - i use pagids all season, my rotors do not have any cracks, a guy who runs with me uses PFC, he runs slower lap times than I do but his front rotors are all cracked up now - we both replaced them in the beginning of the season. so, whatever his PFC06 does to his rotors RS29 pads do not do to mine and it works fine for me so far.
Personally I don't see how this is possible. I have cracks in my stock front rotors from using the stock pads on my 4.0 at Road Atlanta and AMP. And this is with fewer than 30 laps on the car total. Are you running aftermarket drilled rotors? Are you talking about heat cracks on slotted rotors?

I will even explain further why I don't understand. Every car that I see reach speeds similar to a Porsche on track will slightly crack its rotors in a simple DE session. The heat from the friction of any pad on the rotor causes small cracks to form in the metal. These are not bad cracks either. It is simply the way metal responds to the temperatures reached under extreme braking. My GT3 RS with stock pads will slightly do this even after hard street driving. This is why I am perplexed at the reason behind the statement of Pagids will not crack your rotors but PFC will.

Quick Reply: Pagid RS 29 to PFC 08