Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Must have 997 GT3/RS Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 09:09 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kormaster
I thought it was just me who couldnt get into 3-2 downshift. Sometimes it just wouldnt go in smd i felt like i was trying to jam it in. So i took some turns on neutral only happened 2-3 times out of 5 session day.
Kormaster, I have the 3-2 problem also. What do you mean by "took some turns on neutral" Thanks, Allan
Old 10-12-2012, 09:20 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree with most of these suggestions, but, naturally not all.

I had a 2010 GT3 that was modded towards a track car. I had the Sharkwreks bypass and the Cup shifter cable. With my new 2011 RS, I have chosen to NOT install either.

Why? Both are too loud. The OP is correct that you can't carry a conversation w/o yelling. When I added the Cup shifter cable, that problem became much worse. Yes, I liked the shifter feel with it, but I've grown to be just as smooth & precise without it. When I read that you've added sound deadening, I'm right there with you. But then you say you want the loud exhaust & Cup cables and I just have to laugh. You're making the car quieter, just to make it louder.

The whole exhaust thing is beyond me. To get black flagged by the sound ***** after you've paid $$$ to be on track is soooo not worth it.

Wow! I'm pretty grumpy for a Friday!

Oh, yeah... add a clear bra condom to your list!

Last edited by 24Chromium; 10-13-2012 at 11:25 AM. Reason: damn iPhone
Old 10-12-2012, 11:05 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

I love my sharkwerks bypass on the street. On the track though with both windows down it does get loud at times.
I have even thought about earplugs. Maybe I AM getting old.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:21 AM
rja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

24Chromium, the sound deadening is to kill the road noise from the tires which can be very loud, constant, and unpleasant unlike a sweet sounding exhaust. So there are good noises (which is why such a market for aftermarket exhausts) and bad noises (which is why tires w/ low road noise is considered desirable). Like you, I just have to laugh (but when I have to keep explaining this seemingly obvious point). As for sound level, for the tracks (and days) I drive, sound level is not an issue. I was simply pointing out downsides for benefit of others wanting to make a decision. Yes, I won't be able to take my car for Laguna, but that's ~1k miles away from me and would be a one time deal. So -- for me -- not worth making it a constraint for the options I choose.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:47 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,706 Likes on 2,342 Posts

if you have prob shifting from 3-2, it's not the shifter, it's you.
i know b/c i had that too.
most the the guys that are 5 seconds faster than me had no issues. clearly it's me.

RS is not loud. i dont hold conversation my my RS. if i wanted to talk or listen i would stay in the office or home. if i wanted to drive, i take the RS and i dont talk or listen when i drive. i just text ;-)
Old 10-13-2012, 09:31 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mooty
most the the guys that are 5 seconds faster than me had no issues. clearly it's me.

RS is not loud. i dont hold conversation my my RS. if i wanted to talk or listen i would stay in the office or home. if i wanted to drive, i take the RS and i dont talk or listen when i drive. i just text ;-)
Old 10-13-2012, 11:30 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 174 Posts

With a size 12.5 wide foot there is little room to do a traditional "correct" heal and toe (toe on the brake, heal on the gas). So instead of contortioning around, I just use my wide foot to roll off the brake and dab the throttle.

If it were my race car the brake and gas pedals would be spaced much further apart to fit my feet....

3-2 downshift issue at least once a track day, but usually not more than twice in a day.

Love the AK exhaust, I have the bypass pipes for the side muffler. Might try them on next season, but it is so loud already that I will have no options at tracks where I'm marginal on the sound level- meaning black flag and you go home.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:34 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

I typically only drive my RS to/from the race track. The closest track is an hour plus ride, while the farthest of those journeys is 6 hours. Anything longer than an hour and I'll wear ear plugs (great tip, Mjones) in the car.

There is only one track I frequent that does not have a sound restriction. I don't even bother going to Laguna Seca anymore because I can't pass sound WITH A STOCK CAR.

If you are mainly driving your GT car on the street, then yes, I can see why you'd consider an exhaust. Or, even better, the tracks you frequent do not impose sound restrictions.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:45 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rja
24Chromium, the sound deadening is to kill the road noise from the tires which can be very loud, constant, and unpleasant unlike a sweet sounding exhaust. So there are good noises (which is why such a market for aftermarket exhausts) and bad noises (which is why tires w/ low road noise is considered desirable). Like you, I just have to laugh (but when I have to keep explaining this seemingly obvious point). As for sound level, for the tracks (and days) I drive, sound level is not an issue. I was simply pointing out downsides for benefit of others wanting to make a decision. Yes, I won't be able to take my car for Laguna, but that's ~1k miles away from me and would be a one time deal. So -- for me -- not worth making it a constraint for the options I choose.
For those of you that don't live in a state like OR, WA, or ID that has archaic laws allowing studded tires, you have no idea what tire noise is all about. Here in the PACNW, the roads get chewed every year by Grandma and Grandpa driving their Buick with studded tires from Nov to Apr for the two snow days a year that impact our roads. Every major highway ends up getting ruts and looking like a gravel road. The amount of tire noise is easily triple what you have on smooth freshly paved asphalt.

Having lived in Nashville (famous for public works repaving projects) I can tell you that you would never need any additional sound deadning in any performance car. But come out here, and OMG, even in a standard Mercedes sedan the tire noise is irritating!
Old 10-13-2012, 11:50 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Originally Posted by montoya
smooth freshly paved asphalt
What is this smooth road surface you describe? I live in CA. Our state is broke.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:56 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
What is this smooth road surface you describe? I live in CA. Our state is broke.
I go to CALI all the time, my folks live in LA, you have no idea, spend some time on I5 between PDX and Seattle. Or drive to Ashland from Redlands on I5 where it starts to see the impact of studded tires. Then you see the difference. It's horrible.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:31 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty

No wonder your rs was all over the track. Yeah you're rs was understeering big time- texting wasn't helping either while on track. Glad you got car dialed in- it was awful!!! Mike
Old 10-14-2012, 02:50 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,706 Likes on 2,342 Posts

lol, I was a truck, surprised I kept it on pavement

Last edited by mooty; 10-14-2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:40 PM
Kaiservon
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You know we're living in a backwards world when it's no longer safe to have a loud exhaust on the RACETRACK, but its fine for the street.

Quick Reply: Must have 997 GT3/RS Upgrades