Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Apple Macbook Air and Solo DL logging?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 04:53 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Macs are overpriced ****ty products that have constant funky compatibility issues that force you to do constant workarounds to communicate with the rest of the world. For example, exactly what you're trying to do now. Just run a simple program...They try to make it better by having all their products talk exceptionally well, but you're still stuck putting flip4mac and other weird little programs on there to make it run like a windows machine. So why not just get a windows machine? Did I mention how douchey the "genius" bar is? Anyway....

I am slowly getting rid of all things mac in my life. The only thing left is my mac air. And now that they have ultrabooks in pc, I'll probably make the switch here shortly. I have a 24" imac that is about 5 years old if anyone is looking.

I tried running boot camp. Has crashed twice now. The Greek tried it too. Same thing. Not to mention it takes up a **** load of HD space keeping two OS's on there. Which is critical when using something with so little storage as the air.

But if you must....

Try parallels. I'm using that now. We'll see how it goes. It uses boot camp too, but allows you to run both OS at the same time. You lose features when you boot solely into Windows mode. So that is nice that you get to keep most of your apple keyboard functionality.

Don't buy retail copies of Windows 7. Get a builder's edition from comp usa or tiger direct. It's generally less than half price of a regular retail copy. I don't get what the difference is, but I've bought them a couple times like that.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:04 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
he must not be allowed into DE cup group.
black berry, what kind of fruit is that?
even reter now has apple.....
Peter can barely turn a TV on. I can't wait to see him with an iphone

I still say nothing, I repeat nothing, is better than typing on a blackberry keyboard. None of this bull**** virtual keyboard nonsense. Hate it.... I miss my blueberry keyboard dearly.

Apple iphone was revolutionary 8 years now. Now they are releasing phones with features that were available on android os 2 years back. Why people keep buying iphones is beyond me...

I'm now running Samsung Galaxy S3. 10x better than the iFail 5. Apple finally gave their users LTE, finally, except they can't do data and phone simultaneously now because of the antenna design and aesthetics. Typical form over function mentality. No removable battery, headphone jack on the bottom, oddball 16:9 screen shape, apple maps, etc etc...

This commercial about sums up iphone (aka sheeple) to a tee:

http://www.youtube.com/user/samsungm...?v=2c-LZ_hraQo
Old 10-07-2012, 05:16 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paul, I use Parallels with the AIM software. It works very well except for firmware updates. I still have to use a real PC for that. Maybe Bootcamp can do firmware, but Parallels cannot. Let me know if you need help with RS2. I've been using it for a few years now and love it.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:13 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$250 Toshiba netbook from Best Buy for AIM Race Studio.
iPad with SD adapter for Contour+ 720P60FPS videos.
I also have Durametric loaded on the netbook.
Net books are cheap, and track environment can be harsh.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:19 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
Funny, I did the same thing, same computer. I use MacBook Pro or iPad for work and just don't want to haul my work stuff around to the track. If I lost it or broke it that would be a pain. If something happens to a crappy $250 laptop I use only for RaceKeeper..not to big of a deal.
I switched to Apple back in 2003. Very solid platform that has served me very well. This windows laptop PC has reminded me that I do not want to go back to a PC.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:57 AM
Maris66ol
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am just beginning to use my SOLO DL and so far really don't like looking at data on my tiny Dell laptop.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:15 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
Since using a laptop at the racetrack can have it exposed to all kinds of dirt I just bought a 300 euro 10" netbook to do the same. Costs less than a license of Parallels + a Windows license
Originally Posted by Nick Wong
Same here

Including Durametric soft.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:31 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

What do you guys actually do with the durametric software? I used to have to clear cels on my supercharged 996, but aside from that it didn't serve much of a purpose for me.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:32 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Separate device isn't bad... The little netbooks tend to be soooo slow though and it's one more device to maintain. Not to mention I work on the road and I need a full size keyboard and a 13" screen. Which means I could have to carry both. Tomato Tomatoe.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:44 AM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Maris66ol
I am just beginning to use my SOLO DL and so far really don't like looking at data on my tiny Dell laptop.
Exactly. At the track its ok, but at home you need a big monitor.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:38 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
Wow, what a timely thread. I need a new notebook but have been on the fence cause I want to do this only ONCE and chose the right platform.

So, if I get a MS Office license from work, can I install office directly on a MB Pro or Air using Bootcamp or Parallels? I.e. is it the same version of Office as the one used on PCs?

Is there ANY reason not to get a Mac?????
No, there is no reason not to get a Mac (unless you're duputy dog )

But you need the Windows operating system, not the Office software add-on. I recommend Win 7 Home Premium. I recommend Boot Camp only.

Originally Posted by drl
yep! i had it in my head that solo only would work with pc, and was thinking about buying something a laptop or even a desktop to have bigger monitor - looking at track data on itty bitty work laptop is no fun. yes, i probably would have figured it out before buying anything...but now i will look into this software for my mac.
I use several MBA's at the track on Boot Camp with Race Studio 2, MoTeC i2 Pro and TraqStudio to crunch hi-def video Theoretical Best Laps with no trouble. I have heard of firmware updates going screwy due to port translation issues with the emulation software; Parallels or VMWare. Also, the GPU capability of the Mac is not fully utilized and leveraged unless it's running Win-Doze in a native (Boot Camp) state.

Originally Posted by fc-racer
Paul, I use Parallels with the AIM software. It works very well except for firmware updates. I still have to use a real PC for that. Maybe Bootcamp can do firmware, but Parallels cannot. Let me know if you need help with RS2. I've been using it for a few years now and love it.
Yes.

Originally Posted by Maris66ol
True dat.

Thanks, Rad! Appreciate the kind words. It's been a pleasure to see you use these great tools well!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-09-2012, 12:30 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

We may be talking soon again but this time for myself.

I convinced = promised beer for install demo and training session from Rad first ;-) in 4 weeks getting coached and shown VBox.
Just not sure I want to splice Traqmate in my new car, love Obd2 and have the oils and water temp. And the buyer of my car need timing as well through Winterfest to see if we can get him in the gold or platinum cup
Old 10-09-2012, 10:42 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking forward to it ... I wouldn't splice the harness on the car. No need to do so.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:29 AM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
I am slowly getting rid of all things mac in my life... And now that they have ultrabooks in pc, I'll probably make the switch here shortly... I tried running boot camp. Has crashed twice now. The Greek tried it too. Same thing... Try parallels. I'm using that now. We'll see how it goes. It uses boot camp too, but allows you to run both OS at the same time. You lose features when you boot solely into Windows mode. So that is nice that you get to keep most of your apple keyboard functionality.
I went through a MacBook Pro and Air lately. Great hardware, but I need MS Office for PC. Gave MS Office for Mac a shot and none of my MS Excel shortcuts worked. I was lost and all productivity for the day was lost trying to figure this out. So, I tried Parallels and it crashed far too often. It got increasingly worse along with my colleagues'. We're both anti-Mac for work now.

I am on a Dell XPS 13 for $999 with a 128MB SSD drive. Great value! I also bought a Samsumg Series 9 15". Another fantastic computer at a fraction of the Apple product's price. This is the way to go for me.

Originally Posted by deputydog95
I'm now running Samsung Galaxy S3. 10x better than the iFail 5.
+1

I lost my Galaxy Nexus a couple of weeks ago and replaced with with GS3 instead of iFail 5. GS3 is a winner!
Old 10-09-2012, 04:57 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
We may be talking soon again but this time for myself.

I convinced = promised beer for install demo and training session from Rad first ;-) in 4 weeks getting coached and shown VBox.
Just not sure I want to splice Traqmate in my new car, love Obd2 and have the oils and water temp. And the buyer of my car need timing as well through Winterfest to see if we can get him in the gold or platinum cup
What would oil and water show you as far as improving lap times? FYI, the OBD feed from Porsche is verrryyy slow. So be warned.

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
Looking forward to it ... I wouldn't splice the harness on the car. No need to do so.
See above. Vbox is instant if you're willing to start cutting. Clark and Grady are very pleased but according them they did have to attach to ECU wiring somehow. Didn't get into specifics though. I'm okay with lag as I don't plan on winning the DE cup

Originally Posted by SSTHO
I went through a MacBook Pro and Air lately. Great hardware, but I need MS Office for PC. Gave MS Office for Mac a shot and none of my MS Excel shortcuts worked. I was lost and all productivity for the day was lost trying to figure this out. So, I tried Parallels and it crashed far too often. It got increasingly worse along with my colleagues'. We're both anti-Mac for work now.

I am on a Dell XPS 13 for $999 with a 128MB SSD drive. Great value! I also bought a Samsumg Series 9 15". Another fantastic computer at a fraction of the Apple product's price. This is the way to go for me.

+1

I lost my Galaxy Nexus a couple of weeks ago and replaced with with GS3 instead of iFail 5. GS3 is a winner!
Finally. Someone smart enough to not fall for the hype

It is so weird that the Mac and PC versions of word are different. So much so I have a hard time switching between them.

I'll check out that Dell. If I can dump my mac air, I'd love to apply the funds to a PC only ultrabook. Prefer to find another brand though as Dell's customer service blows these days.

Quick Reply: Apple Macbook Air and Solo DL logging?