Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Need some advice on tires for my RS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 01:32 PM
Streetking
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Need some advice on tires for my RS?

I'm not new to tracking/ racing but new to the Porsche side of it. I have a 2010 GT3 RS and have taken it out twice on the track. Still learning the car, but need some advice on tires. So far I have GMG center section, GMG roll bar, Harnesses, BMC air filter, stainless brake lines, SRF fluid, track alignment. I have run it only on the stock tires but just ordered a set of 18" BBS wheels. What size/brand tires you you guys recommend? I did a search and lots of different opinions.

Thanks,

SW

Old 10-01-2012, 01:35 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

I think you need to clean your garage.

Pirelli Trofeo R's have been getting some good reviews. Some still use the cups. Do you want a combination street tire or a track only tire? Some people swear by hoosiers R comps. just depends on what you want. I'm sure others with more experience will chime in.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:45 PM
Streetking
Instructor

Originally Posted by tasman
I think you need to clean your garage.

Pirelli Trofeo R's have been getting some good reviews. Some still use the cups. Do you want a combination street tire or a track only tire? Some people swear by hoosiers R comps. just depends on what you want. I'm sure others with more experience will chime in.
No, just for track only. I have run on Hoosiers in my ZO6 and Pirelli slicks on my 430 Challenge car. I have alot of experience driving those, but not much on a P-car. I really like the car and want to learn it. I took it to Texas World Speedway a few weeks ago and felt like I could drive it 7-8 tenths, but I need ALOT more time in it...

SW
Old 10-01-2012, 01:53 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Hoohoo R6
335/30/18
255/35/18
Old 10-01-2012, 01:57 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 66 Posts

Like GT3DE said, if your not budget conscious, Hoosier is way to go. They just tend to heat cycle out sooner than other tires, but the grip is addicting.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:01 PM
Streetking
Instructor

Originally Posted by GT3DE
Hoohoo R6
335/30/18
255/35/18
Originally Posted by The Greek
Like GT3DE said, if your not budget conscious, Hoosier is way to go. They just tend to heat cycle out sooner than other tires, but the grip is addicting.
Thanks guys. I know every track/ condition is different, what cold/hot tire pressures do you like to see? Also, what alignment specs do you guys like to run?

thanks for helping out a newbie...
Old 10-01-2012, 02:09 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 552 Posts

I put an open-to-public for editing google spreadsheet out there to compile the options for tires and recommended alignments.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...zY0WGZrZ3BHakE

It's missing the Tofeos....
Old 10-01-2012, 02:18 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

I would suggest running a stock tire or R compound until you get used to the car. You want a tire that has lower grip so you learn the dynamics of a Porsche at a lower limit. Slicks will give you more grip, but less warning. So if you're experience is limited in the Porsche, it will be much harder to control and stay safe once you reach the limit. Don't waste more $$ on mods. You've got a solid set up... good call on safety. Now get used to driving the beast and pushing yourself at your own pace. Your RS will be harder to drive at the limit vs. your Ferrari/Vetter, but will be more rewarding once you tame the beast.... some even prefer the driving dynamics of the rear-engine vs. mid-engine.... there are benefits once you know how to work it.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:23 PM
jparker36
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hoosier if you want the best for sure.
NT01 starting end of the year when they release the new sizes, though those will be a bit narrow for a RS if they only give us a 305
Old 10-01-2012, 03:07 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 66 Posts

If they produce NT01 rears for our car, that will be the best DE tire bar none. Excellent grip, lasts forever, and doesn't need to be shaved. 1 heat cycle and your good to go....

Good advice above on running Super Sports or Trofeos. GT3 is a different animal to drive, so are good audible tire will help with learning. DeputyDog runs SS on certain track events, and he speaks very highly of it. Hoosiers will give you zero warning if they lose grip.

About setup, best to run Hoosiers at 30-32 psi HOT. At least that's what I remember people saying. For a good R compound, 33-36 is a good sweet spot. It really depends on the specific tire and how stiff the sidewalls are. For alignment, again matters greatly what tire you run. Hoosiers require more agressive camber infront. Say -3.5 to -3.0. Rear is good at -2.0. For a R compound, -2.2 to -2.5 is the average. Rear is -1.7. Toe should be 0 degrees front, -2mm each side rear.

I'm throwing numbers that I have played with, and also what other members have run. Really, it depends on how you drive, and what feels best for you....
Old 10-01-2012, 03:08 PM
Streetking
Instructor

Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
I would suggest running a stock tire or R compound until you get used to the car. You want a tire that has lower grip so you learn the dynamics of a Porsche at a lower limit. Slicks will give you more grip, but less warning. So if you're experience is limited in the Porsche, it will be much harder to control and stay safe once you reach the limit. Don't waste more $$ on mods. You've got a solid set up... good call on safety. Now get used to driving the beast and pushing yourself at your own pace. Your RS will be harder to drive at the limit vs. your Ferrari/Vetter, but will be more rewarding once you tame the beast.... some even prefer the driving dynamics of the rear-engine vs. mid-engine.... there are benefits once you know how to work it.
I hear you, what do you think of the BFG R1's? I liked the old ones when I used to run a Viper...
Old 10-01-2012, 03:25 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

R1's Are not that great IMO.. I feel Hoosier R6 are better.

I have limited experience on the new R1's though...

Nice Garage BTW!!
Old 10-01-2012, 03:25 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
Agreed....stick with stock till you establish comfort with the RS.
I use Hoosiers they stick like glue but if you are prone to spins you will flat spot them.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:27 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by The Greek
Not a Wallmart shopper IMO
Old 10-01-2012, 03:35 PM
onelove
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

SW You'll be fine on R6s, you have more than enough seat time in your other cars to have the "feel" to make proper adjustments.

Get some RSS Toe Links for the rear to help keep things in alignment. If you're going to track it a bunch and want to go all out (like you usually do) check out some of their control arms and other suspension bits that are a great addition if you're going to be on slicks.

Quick Reply: Need some advice on tires for my RS?