Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Need some advice on tires for my RS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 03:40 PM
tripleblack
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

R6's are not prone to sudden fall-off when managed well. They are a lot of fun at much lower operating costs than full slicks - without the need for a street-unfriendly suspension set-up.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:30 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetking
Thanks guys. I know every track/ condition is different, what cold/hot tire pressures do you like to see? Also, what alignment specs do you guys like to run?

thanks for helping out a newbie...
There are 3 very different philosophies about Hoosier R6s by people on this board - I would say given your own experience with these tires you will already have an opinion:

1) 40psi HOT all 4 corners - some people swear by this, Hoosier talks about this, many, many on this board think this is crazy

2) 33f,36r HOT - something like this seems to be were Most people fall

3) 30psi HOT all 4 corners - some of the fastest guys on here, especially in warmer climates, but certainly not all, like 30psi HOT all corners. Others here would say that you can get a funny wear pattern (rippling) if you do this.

I have run 40Hot and my personal taste is that if feels slippery, most often I have run with choice #2 - I have also tried 30psi Hot all corners and really liked it.

In terms of alignment for a track only setup on Hoosiers that also varies but on 12" rear rims it would seem that the very aggressive rear numbers of old have been reduced. Clearly it is skill and track related but the general track setups seem to be:

1) Extreme Track Only Setup (non slicks)
- don't see many doing this
-3f,with 1mm per side toe-out
-2.5r with 2mm per side toe-in

2) Track Only (non slicks)
-2.8f, with zero toe
-2.3r, with 2mm per side toe-in

3) Mostly Track / Occasional coffee run
-2.5f, zero toe
-1.9r, 2mm per side toe in

4) 50/50 Track / Street (hybrid)
-2.3f, 1/16th toe-in per side
-1.7r, 2mm per side toe in

There seems to be some honest debate even among pure track cars if anything more than -1.9 rear camber is required on a 12" rim with 325 type rear width tires unless you go with Slicks. So, somewhere in the 2 - 3 range above you will find, in my experience, most Track setups on the GT3/RS of the last few years - depending on local track feedback / tire wear etc.

I have no idea about a setup on the track you mentioned but someone here definitely will.

If I had to pick one alignment given what you have said in your post, I would say start with #3 (you will like it for sure) and start with the #2psi recommendations and go from there - then try higher and then lower
Old 10-01-2012, 06:12 PM
Streetking
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
There are 3 very different philosophies about Hoosier R6s by people on this board - I would say given your own experience with these tires you will already have an opinion:

1) 40psi HOT all 4 corners - some people swear by this, Hoosier talks about this, many, many on this board think this is crazy

2) 33f,36r HOT - something like this seems to be were Most people fall

3) 30psi HOT all 4 corners - some of the fastest guys on here, especially in warmer climates, but certainly not all, like 30psi HOT all corners. Others here would say that you can get a funny wear pattern (rippling) if you do this.

I have run 40Hot and my personal taste is that if feels slippery, most often I have run with choice #2 - I have also tried 30psi Hot all corners and really liked it.

In terms of alignment for a track only setup on Hoosiers that also varies but on 12" rear rims it would seem that the very aggressive rear numbers of old have been reduced. Clearly it is skill and track related but the general track setups seem to be:

1) Extreme Track Only Setup (non slicks)
- don't see many doing this
-3f,with 1mm per side toe-out
-2.5r with 2mm per side toe-in

2) Track Only (non slicks)
-2.8f, with zero toe
-2.3r, with 2mm per side toe-in

3) Mostly Track / Occasional coffee run
-2.5f, zero toe
-1.9r, 2mm per side toe in

4) 50/50 Track / Street (hybrid)
-2.3f, 1/16th toe-in per side
-1.7r, 2mm per side toe in

There seems to be some honest debate even among pure track cars if anything more than -1.9 rear camber is required on a 12" rim with 325 type rear width tires unless you go with Slicks. So, somewhere in the 2 - 3 range above you will find, in my experience, most Track setups on the GT3/RS of the last few years - depending on local track feedback / tire wear etc.

I have no idea about a setup on the track you mentioned but someone here definitely will.

If I had to pick one alignment given what you have said in your post, I would say start with #3 (you will like it for sure) and start with the #2psi recommendations and go from there - then try higher and then lower
Thank you, this information really helps..

SW
Old 10-01-2012, 06:30 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
Hoohoo R6
335/30/18
255/35/18
^this is right
I run at 38 hot on R6 and get good life out of them and even wear
I used to run the lower pressures (32-33 hot) and found that the tire was rolling over a little... faster and better wear characteristics at higher pressures IMHO but over 38 and they get loose quick

Originally Posted by The Greek
Like GT3DE said, if your not budget conscious, Hoosier is way to go. They just tend to heat cycle out sooner than other tires, but the grip is addicting.
if you are not budget conscious, the michelin cup slick is the way to go... unreal grip but alignment specs need to set to get the most out of them. I have used a few sets of these and they are simply the best I have experienced and as to their "letting go" with no warning... that has not been my experience... I feel they are manageable. they are about $2500 per set though which is what it is. I dont smoke a lot of crack but when I do, I want the best crack :-)
Old 10-01-2012, 06:31 PM
ShootingStar
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It just got real with SW coming around here, lol.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:39 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
^this is right
I used to run the lower pressures (32-33 hot) and found that the tire was rolling over a little... faster and better wear characteristics at higher pressures IMHO but over 38 and they get loose quick

if you are not budget conscious, the michelin cup slick is the way to go... unreal grip but alignment specs need to set to get the most out of them. I have used a few sets of these and they are simply the best I have experienced and as to their "letting go" with no warning... that has not been my experience... I feel they are manageable. they are about $2500 per set though which is what it is. I dont smoke a lot of crack but when I do, I want the best crack :-)
Only probelm with sticky tires is the more stick they have the more stress you put on a suspension, axle, hub ect

If one runs slicks they need to solid mount the car, slick grip will destroy a rubber mounted car.

Esentially if it is a car on slicks you now start going by cup car "time out" schedules for maintenance

The less grip on the tire teh longer parts will last (and less likely have a massive failure)

If Nitto comes out with a NT01 that fits our car I will go that way (once I run out of RA1). If not I might try the new Toyo R-comp slick

As far as hoosiers I have seen way too many tire splits ect.....I am not convinced it is designed to take multiple heat cycles in 20-25 minute groupings. More designed for a longer race than parked
Old 10-01-2012, 07:20 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went from the Michelin sport cups to the Trofeo's and was impressed by the added grip with the Pirelli's. watch you tire pressures, like others there are many opinions on what works best.
my 0.02
BTW AWESOME garage and contents!!
Old 10-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Streetking
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by onelove
SW You'll be fine on R6s, you have more than enough seat time in your other cars to have the "feel" to make proper adjustments.

Get some RSS Toe Links for the rear to help keep things in alignment. If you're going to track it a bunch and want to go all out (like you usually do) check out some of their control arms and other suspension bits that are a great addition if you're going to be on slicks.
Thanks, I forgot you had one too Got to get good with it, I think the road race part of TX2K is going to be at TWS...

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
^this is right

LOL, I know what you mean...

Originally Posted by DRPM
I went from the Michelin sport cups to the Trofeo's and was impressed by the added grip with the Pirelli's. watch you tire pressures, like others there are many opinions on what works best.
my 0.02
BTW AWESOME garage and contents!!
Thanks, I kinda like cars..
Old 10-01-2012, 08:02 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
Only probelm with sticky tires is the more stick they have the more stress you put on a suspension, axle, hub ect

If one runs slicks they need to solid mount the car, slick grip will destroy a rubber mounted car.

Esentially if it is a car on slicks you now start going by cup car "time out" schedules for maintenance

The less grip on the tire teh longer parts will last (and less likely have a massive failure)

If Nitto comes out with a NT01 that fits our car I will go that way (once I run out of RA1). If not I might try the new Toyo R-comp slick

As far as hoosiers I have seen way too many tire splits ect.....I am not convinced it is designed to take multiple heat cycles in 20-25 minute groupings. More designed for a longer race than parked
+1. A little slip angle sure is fun too....
Old 10-01-2012, 08:21 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

excellent point and thank you... Izzone is right on this
I often overlook solid mounting the car as for me it is just part of GT3 tracking... solid mounting and guard diff...

I mainly run R6s but when I get a hankering, I buy a set of slicks...
Old 10-01-2012, 08:23 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 101 Posts

Anybody ever try some V710's? They make a 315-35-18...rumor is they last longer than R6's, but aren't quite as fast.

I was at a Mid-Ohio school earlier this year when a fellow rennlister had some (.2RS), they looked like they run big. Didn't get a chance to chat with him about the tires though.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:56 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

cups don't have full solid ball joints.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:04 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
cups don't have full solid ball joints.
But they also do not have the same ball joints as a street car. They are designed for slick type grip
Old 10-01-2012, 09:25 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

18" 255/35 and 335/30 R6 with just toe links - that is all you need:
I run typical track setup (only part replacement necessary is toe-links), run R6 at 30 hot and I get 30+hc out of them. FWIW, my 2010 has over 15k track miles on it, all on R6, no suspension part failures (i.e. solid mounts and all that extra suspension stuff is not necessary). And those that have run with me know I am not taking it easy nor am I slow.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:07 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

If Nitto comes out with a NT01 that fits our car
what`s the problem with 245/315 nt01 in 18"? it was confirmed as i understood they do not cause any issues with 997 cars.

Quick Reply: Need some advice on tires for my RS?