on this thread in fact....
Old 09-19-2012 | 12:01 AM
paver
Rennlist Member

does he have dirt track experience?
Old 09-19-2012 | 12:13 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

If you are smooth leave it on and see where it assists or saves you. I always leave it on when I get to a new track. Gives me the confidence to try a bit harder earlier and I never found it ate my rear brake pads too bad. If it comes on all the time and it really slows you down, you are not doing it right unless you are Ricky Bobby..

Some corners you can cheat it will make you faster, if you really have a track nailed and you are within a couple of seconds of pro drivers it will usually slow you down.
Old 09-19-2012 | 12:22 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

With it off saving a car has to be instinct......if you wait to think the rear will already swap with the front

Learn to drive too quick without out it, once turned off it will be difficult to fix a mistake

I keep it off
Old 09-19-2012 | 12:59 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Smooth is fast. You should be able to go quickly without much intervention from TC. Like others mentioned, try to fix what you're doing wrong to cause it to kick in.
Old 09-19-2012 | 03:20 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

TC is fine methinks. On or off it ain't doing that much. Although if you do get the tail out its frustrating to feel the cut-out. I never have it on.

SC is another story. I've seen many a driver lose 3-5s/lap instantly upon switching SC off and then pit their cars with their confidence in tatters. I think a lot of people responding are actually extremely good drivers and are undervaluing how good this system actually is.
Old 09-19-2012 | 11:08 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

the gt3 is a great system in that the intervention threshold is quite high.
other cars intervene very early and put a damper on the fun.
turning off nannies will make the car rotate.
you can use some minor rotation on slow corners to get better exit angle.
too much rotation, and you can spin. your foot controls the amount.
Old 09-19-2012 | 11:22 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

SC off seems more natural from apex to track out. Back end doesn't tuck in by itself (which is a weird feeling) and balance is easier to maintain with smaller throttle and hand inputs. I actually think my diff works better with SC off. Haven't driven enough with SC+TC off to give an opinion, especially since I only recently got my car handling right.

On my car I only have the option of SC off, or SC+TC off, no TC off only.
Old 09-19-2012 | 11:26 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Old 09-19-2012 | 11:36 AM
drl
Rennlist Member

I leave them on at a new track or if i am feeling off my game.

TC seems much less regularly intrusive than SC. It only kicks on when a suvstantial mistake is made and in those instances you know it is on - you can feel it, you can see it on th dash. And in those instances i can appreciate it.

SC on the other hand affects the cars handling characteristics on a more regula and subtle basis. Often i feel like i am driving a tank with it on. I cant adjust the cars movement cause i cant feel it. My first session ever at laguna i left both on and ended up pitting after several laps thinking something was wrong with the car, esp when going through the corkscrew and turn 9. Chatted with a friend about what was going on, turned SC off, and car was perfect.

As i have progressed TC activates less and less frequently. And i can usually predict when it will. SC off the car is way more fun to drive and gives way better feedback.

These are my observations from personal esperience and i have no hard data to support any of it.
Old 09-19-2012 | 12:19 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
the gt3 is a great system in that the intervention threshold is quite high.
other cars intervene very early and put a damper on the fun.
turning off nannies will make the car rotate.
you can use some minor rotation on slow corners to get better exit angle.
too much rotation, and you can spin. your foot controls the amount.
The key to rotating a GT3 is to do it with brakes, not throttle or steering...it is quite happy to do so with all nannies turned on. The challenge is developing the skill set to be able to use the technique.

Old 09-19-2012 | 02:55 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Amazing in the rain - our 3.8s pray for rain as their times drop while 6s rise alot!
Old 09-19-2012 | 07:53 PM
73CarreraRS
Intermediate

my opinion - a pretty simple question of

1 - are you more focused on refining your driving skill -- turn it all off and drive the tire/car (even in rain) - that way you know what the car is doing in response to your inputs

2 - are you more focused on just having fun -- leave it on - the car will help you up to a point, but sometimes difficult to figure where and how it is overcoming your deficiencies (or countering what you are correctly trying to do near the edge)

either way .... better than a day in the office....
Old 09-19-2012 | 09:33 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by savyboy
The key to rotating a GT3 is to do it with brakes, not throttle or steering...it is quite happy to do so with all nannies turned on. The challenge is developing the skill set to be able to use the technique.

true, true!!!
the brakes are an even more advanced method. especially fun when you got brakes with bite.
Old 09-20-2012 | 06:32 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

I would get some drift lessons first. Learn to control the car as it goes in oversteer, not only to recover it asap but to also learn to slide and hold the oversteer. If you can manage that you are ready for then the back steps out on the race track. This is something that is hard to learn on an open parking lot. You actually need a "track" with corners to drift through so you have an objective to accomplish.

Quick Reply: SC/TC Off or On