Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Clearplex Windshield Protection Film

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 08:29 PM
Precision Auto
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NBTBRV8
So am I wasting my time by leaving it on or will it dry out to normal clarity?
Let it dry in the sun for a few days...then send me a pic to pawparts@gmail.com. Let me see what I can work out with ClearPlex on next steps. I'll do my best to rectify.

Gus
Old 04-30-2013, 08:33 PM
Precision Auto
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ELPORSCHA
If and when you do get stone chips, while having ClearPlex on. How do you go about repairing the damage to the film? If that is possible!

Would stone chips, say double edged stone hits the windshield, and from the feel of it, seems like somewhat of a semi-strong impact - did the chip/scratch go beyond the film? Or only film been damaged.

How to tell if it damaged the film only, or went glass deep?

Again, how do you go about rectifying such situation!
The film can get damaged. However, that is good news to you since it wasn't your windshield. For most cases, only the skin is usually damaged. Go to clearplex.com to see some videos on the strength of the film.

Usually to rectify, you will need to replace the skin. Most people wait for multiple hits before doing so. I have people that track all the time and replace every 6 months.

I hope that helps. If you can prove to me that you had ClearPlex on your car, I would be happy to offer you a "return customer" price. Email me at pawparts@gmail.com.

G
Old 05-01-2013, 03:16 AM
ELPORSCHA
Racer

Originally Posted by Precision Auto
The film can get damaged. However, that is good news to you since it wasn't your windshield. For most cases, only the skin is usually damaged. Go to clearplex.com to see some videos on the strength of the film.

Usually to rectify, you will need to replace the skin. Most people wait for multiple hits before doing so. I have people that track all the time and replace every 6 months.

I hope that helps. If you can prove to me that you had ClearPlex on your car, I would be happy to offer you a "return customer" price. Email me at pawparts@gmail.com.

G
Thanks Gus. I'll wait for more incoming hits before considering replacement.

Cheers.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:43 AM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gus, PM me.. i need installer in socal
Old 05-01-2013, 05:53 AM
NBTBRV8
Racer

Originally Posted by Precision Auto
Let it dry in the sun for a few days...then send me a pic to pawparts@gmail.com. Let me see what I can work out with ClearPlex on next steps. I'll do my best to rectify.

Gus
Thanks I think it is getting better slowly, but I doubt it will be as good as it should be.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:03 AM
NBTBRV8
Racer

Just an update, Precision Auto has been able to discuss my situation with Clearplex and they have stood by their product and have helped me out with a good outcome.

Thanks Gus & Clearplex, hopefully this will lead to many years of ClearPlex use across various cars.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:55 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Just an update, Precision Auto has been able to discuss my situation with Clearplex and they have stood by their product and have helped me out with a good outcome.

Thanks Gus & Clearplex, hopefully this will lead to many years of ClearPlex use across various cars.
What was the good outcome? Can you take a pic of the view out of your windshield so we can see what it looks like on the road?
Old 12-25-2014, 09:58 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I've had Clearplex on all my track cars and they were also daily drivers.
When applied correctly you can't tell it's there.

It lasts about 20-50 track days before it's too shot blasted to look through
Windshields all like new underneath

Great support from Gus if you have any questions
Old 12-26-2014, 03:00 AM
madmurdock
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts

I have to find a good clearplex installer in socal. My windshield had like 20 air bubbles. The installer told me it's nearly impossible to do it without bubbles, but I now know he just does **** work
Old 12-26-2014, 01:43 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Try these guys in Santa Ana. They do excellent work on clear bras and they install Clearplex as well.

http://www.protectivefilmsolutions.com/windshield.php
Old 12-26-2014, 03:20 PM
madmurdock
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by skxf430
Try these guys in Santa Ana. They do excellent work on clear bras and they install Clearplex as well. http://www.protectivefilmsolutions.com/windshield.php
Thank you! Will call them next week.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:50 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Looking for more input from people who put this on for a DD car.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:28 PM
NBTBRV8
Racer

Originally Posted by jem7v
What was the good outcome? Can you take a pic of the view out of your windshield so we can see what it looks like on the road?
The outcome was good, it dried out and became clear.

I ran mine on my car as a DD the it definitely saved the screen. The issues I found were:
  1. They last about 12 months max (to be expected)
  2. When they age they start delaminating i.e. you can see the top layer of the film peel away from the next layer down creating patches all over the screen.
  3. When they get pitted by a rock the film is damaged, so eventually this damages the wiper blade as it runs over it and then creates a scratch arc in the film as you use your wipers.
  4. As they age they need more polishing. I used Clearplex plastic cleaner, but expect to have to do it at least once a month, if not more.
  5. you get some very minor distortion with polaroid lenses in the upper tinted windscreen band, but not enough for it to be a problem.

I will definitely get one for my next car as I have just sold mine and don't have a replacement yet. Gus was great to deal with.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:32 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

The outcome was good, it dried out and became clear.

I ran mine on my car as a DD the it definitely saved the screen. The issues I found were:
  1. They last about 12 months max (to be expected)
  2. When they age they start delaminating i.e. you can see the top layer of the film peel away from the next layer down creating patches all over the screen.
  3. When they get pitted by a rock the film is damaged, so eventually this damages the wiper blade as it runs over it and then creates a scratch arc in the film as you use your wipers.
  4. As they age they need more polishing. I used Clearplex plastic cleaner, but expect to have to do it at least once a month, if not more.
  5. you get some very minor distortion with polaroid lenses in the upper tinted windscreen band, but not enough for it to be a problem.

I will definitely get one for my next car as I have just sold mine and don't have a replacement yet. Gus was great to deal with.

Sounds like they have a lot of issues, especially if it needs to be replaced every year.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:49 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had Clearplex on my track car gt3 2007 for 2 yrs. still looks good.

Just had it applied to 2015 gt3. Apply sealant once a month or two. Prevents spidering in windshield. Nothing better than oem windshield imo.

Quick Reply: Clearplex Windshield Protection Film