Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Transmission Fluid Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 04:59 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Regarding the Millers gear oil, why are you using the non-LS version? I have a Guard LS differential and wondering which oil to use.

Millers says: "For plate type Limited Slip differentials use CRX LS 75w90 NT".

Thanks.

Tom
Old 01-06-2014, 06:24 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by TAI2
Regarding the Millers gear oil, why are you using the non-LS version? I have a Guard LS differential and wondering which oil to use.

Thanks.

Tom
Matt from Guard covered this about Delvac (which is also non-LS), and upon Andy's discussion with Performance Oils (who we buy it from), they agreed that the non-LS version will be better in a motorsport application.

Matt let us know that the friction modifiers in the Porsche factory fill are more for cold starts and syncros, to make shifting smoother....but the problem is that as the gear oil gets really really hot from track use, it actually becomes too slippery and doesn't do a good enough job of lubricating and protecting at high temps, which is why the Delvac (non LS) works better on track and is Cup car fill. Also, it allows the plate LSD's to lock up as they normally would. Same for the Millers Oil.

So for street only, I would say use the LS version, but for mostly track use, use the non-LS.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:54 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by TAI2

Thanks.

Tom
If you want to make your LSD lock less effectively and wear out more quickly. then by all means use an LS oil in your gearbox.

I will say it one more time. LS gear oils are put out there for OEM LSDs that are noisy and clunky. They are also for el cheapo aftermarket LSDs that use steel plates instead of a plate with a proper coating on it. LS additives are more slippery and make it more quiet. If you want your motorsports LSD to lock and perform the way it was designed to, don't put that junk in there. And by junk I mean an LS additive. Miller blends excellent oils.

30 hours of run time, 24 of which were the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona. Less than .05mm of measureable wear. No LSD additive in the oil.

Regards,

Matt
Old 01-07-2014, 09:51 AM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the feedback on LS versus non-LS formulation!!
Old 01-07-2014, 09:18 PM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

swepco 201 in every MT i own including the FF hewland
Old 01-07-2014, 09:50 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Swepco makes excellent gear oil though I prefer 210 in a race car. That's what 3R used exclusively in their Cups when they raced WC before moving over to the Volvos.

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid Recommendations?