Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,855 Likes on 961 Posts

Sorry, no experience with PCCBs.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:53 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would still get an independent PPI if you haven't already. May also give you some negotiating room. PCCBs should not deter you from sale. I have them just make sure they are in good working order and have at least 50% pad before track day. Leave them on if you are doing only occasional tracking. Change out to steel if frequent tracking. Save your PCCBs or sell them to fellow RLster. Learn how to check pads for taper.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:12 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

What he said ^^ !!
Old 09-17-2012, 12:22 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

The throttle is more sluggish at low rpm/part throttle on both the 997.2s I've driven, compared to the 996. I'm pretty sure it's in the ECU programming to improve low speed/street driveability.

I also didn't like it at first, but got used to it quickly.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:36 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by seapar
I would still get an independent PPI if you haven't already. May also give you some negotiating room. PCCBs should not deter you from sale. I have them just make sure they are in good working order and have at least 50% pad before track day. Leave them on if you are doing only occasional tracking. Change out to steel if frequent tracking. Save your PCCBs or sell them to fellow RLster. Learn how to check pads for taper.
Any idea who can do an independent PPI other than the dealer? I really think is right thing to do as well.

I really won't track it much. I have a Formula Ford that I race with the SCCA. I need to get it out there once, at least, so I can feel what it can do. I did that with the 968, C2S, and when I take possession of the 3. Will go and play.

Do you get this funny looking, super fine sand looking brake dust with the PCCB's. Actually, it was one of things I wanted on my new car.

THe pads now are at 80% according to the CPO's paper work.

I didn't mention this before, but when he started it in the showroom, it filled the room with blue oil smoke. It cleared right up, so I suspect some residual oil to be in the cylinders while it was sitting. Is this a function of the GT1 block?

Thanks for any input.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:40 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
The throttle is more sluggish at low rpm/part throttle on both the 997.2s I've driven, compared to the 996. I'm pretty sure it's in the ECU programming to improve low speed/street driveability.

I also didn't like it at first, but got used to it quickly.
Yes, I took a gts for a ride a while ago and I noticed on that car too.

I will get used to it for sure, I can understand the low speed drivability issue, but i didn't realize it could be the ECU programming, I wonder if that can be changed?

Thanks for the comment.

Rob
Old 09-17-2012, 10:30 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't have enough experience with the PCCBs to know if that is ok. Getting used to these great brakes initial bite and trail braking at the track. Has twice on the track PRI and ridge and will again at both tracks at the end of the month.
I would start a new thread asking RL where do they suggest getting an Indy PPI in the town the car is at . Then work out the logistics with the dealer. May cost you 300-500 depending but it is worth it if you are that close to buying it.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:26 AM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweeper
I didn't mention this before, but when he started it in the showroom, it filled the room with blue oil smoke. It cleared right up, so I suspect some residual oil to be in the cylinders while it was sitting. Is this a function of the GT1 block?
Yes, this is normal for these engines. They will sometimes (maybe even often) smoke briefly at startup.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:45 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweeper
Yes, I took a gts for a ride a while ago and I noticed on that car too.

I will get used to it for sure, I can understand the low speed drivability issue, but i didn't realize it could be the ECU programming, I wonder if that can be changed?

Thanks for the comment.

Rob
Absolutely. But putting the pedal to the metal is the easiest fix.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:18 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

smoke at startup just tells you it is alive and happy.

Not uncommon at all

Quick Reply: 2010 GT3 available in Nashua NH