Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

PCCB's are a drag....

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 12:05 AM
Michael Russell
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PCCB's are a drag....Now with video

I mean litterally. As I continue to learn about my "new" 2007 gt3 I Learn I dont know as much as I thought!

Anyway, It sounds like the pads are not fully retracting and you can hear the brakes just constantly dragging, like they're on a lathe. I noticed too when I was inspecting the front pads that with the front wheel in he air, you can spin it by hand, but there is noticeable drag.

Normal?

Thanks
Michael

Last edited by Michael Russell; 09-08-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:12 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know but I'd take it to you local Indy or dealer that you trust to have this looked at ASAP. I do know that tapering of the pads is worrisome if it is occurring as rotors can be damaged and that is $$$ with these. On Friday my shop is going to show me how to check my pads. Still I may next year change out for giro discs or similar depending on my tracking schedule and my opinion of the PCCBs under threshold and trail braking
Old 09-03-2012, 12:19 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Russell
I mean litterally. As I continue to learn about my "new" 2007 gt3 I Learn dont know as much as I thought!

Anyway, It sounds like the pads are not fully retracting and you can hear the brakes just constantly dragging, like they're on a lathe. I noticed too when I was inspecting the front pads that with the front wheel in he air, you can spin it by hand, but there is noticeable drag.

Normal?

Thanks
Michael
Not normal Michael.. but.. when working, and without considering the replacement cost, PCCBs are perfect.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:23 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Never heard of dragging pads, sumtin wrong..
At least nothing a little slaloming can't fix.

Whats a lathe?
Old 09-03-2012, 01:30 AM
Michael Russell
Rennlist Member

Well, thats not great to hear. I plan on bleeding them this week, perhaps that'll help. If not, I'll pull the calipers off and take a look at the pads and such.

TRAKCAR -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lathe
Old 09-03-2012, 06:46 PM
Michael Russell
Rennlist Member

Well, I took the right front pads out to take a look, and I think they look just fine:

Right Front - Inside pad:

Right Front Outside:

Those rivets at the bottom concern me a bit. Lots of pad material left, why do they show?

Anyway, after inspecting everything, buffing all contact points for the pads, and re-assembling, I went for quick ride, came back, and....its exactly the same as before and hour and a half of work!

If someone with pccb's could lift a front corner, and just tell me if there is any resistance at all turning the wheel by hand I would GREATLY appreciate it. I can easily spin the wheel, but it is obvious that the pads are resting on the rotor causing resistance, and the wheel stops as soon as I take my hand off it, there is no residual spin.

Michael
Old 09-03-2012, 07:28 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Post a pic of the rotors.
I think you are fine for street use, has the car been tracked? Your measurements are including the backing plate?
Old 09-03-2012, 07:34 PM
Michael Russell
Rennlist Member

Measurement is just the pad material, not the backing plate at all.

I'll get a photo of the rotor and put it up as well.

Thanks TRAKCAR

M
Old 09-03-2012, 08:11 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

If someone with pccb's could lift a front corner, and just tell me if there is any resistance at all turning the wheel by hand I would GREATLY appreciate it. I can easily spin the wheel, but it is obvious that the pads are resting on the rotor causing resistance, and the wheel stops as soon as I take my hand off it, there is no residual spin.

Just went and lifted my front end. Spins with hand pressure although not "freely". Spins about a 1/4 rotation when I take my hand away. Is fine when I drive it. 07 GT3 RS with pccb
Old 09-03-2012, 09:52 PM
Michael Russell
Rennlist Member

Thanks Tasman, I appreciate you doing that. So can you hear the pads on the rotor?

M
Old 09-03-2012, 10:29 PM
tasman
Race Car

Well, I took the right front pads out to take a look, and I think they look just fine:

Right Front - Inside pad:

Right Front Outside:

Those rivets at the bottom concern me a bit. Lots of pad material left, why do they show?

Anyway, after inspecting everything, buffing all contact points for the pads, and re-assembling, I went for quick ride, came back, and....its exactly the same as before and hour and a half of work!

Michael
Thanks Tasman, I appreciate you doing that. So can you hear the pads on the rotor?

M
No I can't.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:18 PM
Michael Russell
Rennlist Member

Ok, thanks again Tasman
Old 09-03-2012, 11:27 PM
tasman
Race Car

good luck with everything michael.

tal
Old 09-03-2012, 11:47 PM
Michael Russell
Rennlist Member

Thanks Tasman, I'm thinking master cylinder at this point. If its multiple corners I can't see what else it could be.

Has anyone ever had a master cylinder issue?

M
Old 09-04-2012, 03:25 AM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another possibility is that the calipers need to be rebuilt. When you have the pads out, is it easy to press the pistons back into the caliper?

Quick Reply: PCCB's are a drag....