Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

PCCB's are a drag....

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 09:18 AM
Michael Russell
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's possible I suppose. They seem to move back in smoothly with reasonable effort. It would make sense if one or two needed a rebuild, but all four at the same time? I just find that hard to imagine.

M
Old 09-04-2012, 09:59 AM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Russell
It's possible I suppose. They seem to move back in smoothly with reasonable effort. It would make sense if one or two needed a rebuild, but all four at the same time? I just find that hard to imagine.

M
Using your own logic of assessing possibility from probability, if all four wheels behave exactly the same, why do you believe it is anything but normal? Sure it is possible that all four corners have the exact same problem to the exact same level, but just not very probable. Sounds like everything is fine to me.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:24 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Considering the cost of these PCCBs is there someone knowledgable local you trust to sort this out? Telemedicine (as an example)works for some things not for others. You might benefit from having someone else reassure you all is ok or that there is an issue here. Good luck.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:04 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Post a pic of the rotors.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:27 PM
Michael Russell
Rennlist Member

Savyboy - I will get that up this afternoon, maybe a video of the drag to go with it.

SEAPAR - problem is availability, in that nobody has any for 2 weeks...But you're right I do want an expert opinion.

Statman - Its a fair question you ask. I think its called Paranoia with acute anxiety!!
Old 09-07-2012, 11:53 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

No noise or drag at any wheel on my 07.

I would do a Brake Fluid flush ..
Elliot
Old 09-08-2012, 10:12 PM
Michael Russell
Rennlist Member

Ok, so I Bled all four corners today, and it still does this:

Thoughts?
M
Old 09-08-2012, 10:42 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Mine definitely spin easier than that.

Tal
Old 09-09-2012, 08:58 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

That is definitely dragging. Not normal.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:41 AM
Gibbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not good!

Is it doing this on all four and whilst driving?

Get it too Porsche as clearly there is an issue somewhere and if that's happening whilst driving it will ruin your disc by overheating them.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:24 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

bring it to the dealer!
Old 09-09-2012, 01:43 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,645 Likes on 763 Posts

If all 4 do that, something is wrong upstream..
Thanks for the video, much clearer to me now.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:04 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Whoa,
I is hard to tell how loud that is , but it is normal for a slight contact and minor noise. ... you should not be able to hear or feel it in normal driving. your disc looks fine. If the car is rolling freely I believe you are fine and all is working well.
I might change pads, as the recommendation is to do so at 50% wear.

I suspect if you went to dealer you would get the same answer, but a big bill !
Elliot
Old 09-09-2012, 05:37 PM
Michael Russell
Rennlist Member

In searching the inter-tubes I came across this from a forum on motorcycles, but thought it was still relevant:

"Edit: This is a common problem, but what needs to be pointed out here is if you have this problem, your brake fluid has serious contamination. This 'fix' should ONLY be considered as temporary; you can attempt flushing the system to get rid of the contamination, but that is rarely a long-term repair; the only sure way to eliminate this is to completely disassemble the system and fully clean it, refilling with new fluid. Another cause of dragging brakes is internally corroded calipers; corrosion behind the caliper piston seal can 'expand' the seal, preventing the piston from retracting when the brakes are applied. To determine which issue you have, if you have a dragging brake try 'cracking' the bleed screw on the brake caliper; if the brake releases, it's in the master cylinder, if it doesn't it's a caliper problem. In either case, it's HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that you COMPLETELY disassemble the ENTIRE brake system, thoroughly cleaning everything and replacing parts as needed for safe, trouble-free brakes."

So i went back out to my favorite front wheel, cracked both bleed screws and....nothing, no change what-so-ever. At this point im think of rebuilding one of the calipers, and seeing if it makes any difference. I am going to be back at the dealer that did the PPI for me, and will show them the video I made tomorrow, and ask them for their thoughts, (if not my $350 back!!). If it weren't for the fact that I live 600 miles from this dealer id have the car in there asking for some other sort of recompense. Anyway, i don't want to get off on a tangent about the dealer, I just want to keep pushing forward to find a solution. I am in the camp that this is way too much drag, judging by the amount of brake dust all over the wheels and side of the car. I havent seen this much dust from standard steel brakes! But maybe im wrong.

M

Last edited by Michael Russell; 09-09-2012 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quick Reply: PCCB's are a drag....