Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Wheel Manufacturer Info: Finspeed

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 07:32 PM
Finspeed
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wheel Manufacturer Info: Finspeed

I know several of you personally and look forward to getting to know many more. I’d like to take a little time to tell you about Finspeed and what we do.

With the economic downturn, there were several talented individuals in our area that were out of work or just looking for a different direction. Over the last few years we have been able to put together a team of journeyman machinist, welders and engineers (B.S. Mechanical Engineering, M.S. Mechanical Engineering, and M.S. Aerospace Engineering) that feel things can be done better, and we can do it at a price our customers can appreciate. We have also formed a valued relationship with the University Of Missouri School Of Engineering, their Formula SAE program and several team members (of which have turned into excellent interns).

Our production guys understand engineering and our engineers aren’t just engineers, they are former machinists, welders etc., that have production and fabrication experience. Some are Porsche guys, some Corvette others Nissan, but they drive on the track and have a true understanding of what our cars are capable of, and what our wheels need to be capable of.

Today’s distributor/dealership networks can be so convoluted that a manufacturer can lose connection with the person they are making the product for, and lose their valuable feedback. As a manufacturer, you can also lose control of how your customer is being treated, so we decided to go a different direction - we deal directly with you. Treating people how you want to be treated applies to everything we do, and there is no-one better to answer questions and give advice than the individuals that make your wheels.

We begin with the highest quality material available. Several wheel makers are using cast, flow formed or rotary forged blanks, often sourced from overseas suppliers to save on material costs. They claim to be forged, but simply put, they are just not strong enough.

We use traditionally forged 6061 T6 blanks, forged right here in the USA.

Our machining follows the same philosophy - we purchased new precision machines and tooling manufactured in the United States. Supporting American industry is as important to us as making high quality parts. We cannot expect our customers to invest in American craftsmanship if we aren’t willing to do the same.

To make sure our products meet our own internal standards, all manufacturing takes place on site. Wheel strength is the priority, followed closely by removing any material that doesn’t add to the integrity of the wheel. When your focus is on strength and saving weight, you tend to end up with a beautiful finished product and we are doing just that.

We’ve also decided as a company to support a cause that we believe in. With one of our interns leaving last month to study nuclear engineering and keep us all safe from well below sea level, we decided to donate 5% of the purchase price of every set of wheels to the Wounded Warrior Project. We have had customers oppose, but we are firm on this and it is without exception.

We know you work hard for your money and understand you want value for every dollar you decide to spend. We truly appreciate your consideration and please do not hesitate to share your thoughts.

http://www.finspeed.com/

Last edited by Finspeed; 10-17-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:52 PM
islandsnow
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you have any centerlock application for the GT3RS with PCCB clearance?
Old 08-31-2012, 09:26 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

F11
18x9
18x12
Weight with standard 5 lug configuration?
Old 08-31-2012, 09:42 PM
Finspeed
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by islandsnow
Do you have any centerlock application for the GT3RS with PCCB clearance?
We do.

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
F11
18x9
18x12
RT model or standard model (RT is a track model and does not accept a centercap)?
Old 08-31-2012, 09:45 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

RT model please
Old 08-31-2012, 09:53 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

By the way - they look great and I 100% agree with the pro America philosophy
Old 08-31-2012, 10:50 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Welcome to the forum.....do you supply any race teams with your wheels?
Old 09-01-2012, 03:05 AM
Finspeed
Former Vendor

F11
18x9
18x12
F11-RT
18x9 = 19.9
18x12 = 22.6

Originally Posted by mdrums
Welcome to the forum.....do you supply any race teams with your wheels?
Not until 2013.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:13 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Thank you - they look great
Old 09-01-2012, 03:33 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,783 Likes on 2,371 Posts

good stuff you making and it appears that you have assembled a great team to bring quality products to mkt.

but....

there are reasons for outsourcing...

1. 3rd world country is cheaper. this is business decision. cheap labor makes profit... note i didn't say the products are good. i am simply stating why many american company, some very good ones, outsource. they will eventually suffer as quality will kill them.

2. some time business outsource b/c other regions of the world has the expertise that USA simply do not have. that's also a business decision and one that will make the business stronger.

so outsource isn't always bad and blindly buying american aint very smart either. i dont support amercian products, japanese products, irish products etc, i support quality products. i cannot care less if they are made by martians with green skin. afterall, porsche is german.

finally, i hate it when ppl follow the news and comment on "working condition" of other countries. what appears to be "bad conditions" to the western culture may be just fine else where. i was a child laborer since 6. i didn't get paid. i just get food. i see no problem with that. i work hard i get to places. my dorm in factory has cockroaches and rats. i share food with flies. it's FINE. i am still alive. i feel that's the way to teach kids. kids today are weak and soft. leave no child behind, what does that mean. i work my child, my childrens' friends. train them young get them to work while they are in diapers. no work no food. my kids understand that. and often times i simply do not feed them when work aren't done right. they either do it over and over and over until they get it right or just goto bed hungry, wake up hungry and do it right or will continue to be hungry. i have no interest in promoting the "entitlement generation. children earn their keep, they are entitled to nothing.

just making a few observations, it's best we stay off touchy topic and let's discuss where your wheels are available how custom you can make them, wt and most importantly delivery time and not about "outsourcing", "american superiority", or "working conditions".
Old 09-01-2012, 05:51 PM
Finspeed
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mooty
good stuff you making and it appears that you have assembled a great team to bring quality products to mkt.

but....

there are reasons for outsourcing...

1. 3rd world country is cheaper. this is business decision. cheap labor makes profit... note i didn't say the products are good. i am simply stating why many american company, some very good ones, outsource. they will eventually suffer as quality will kill them.

2. some time business outsource b/c other regions of the world has the expertise that USA simply do not have. that's also a business decision and one that will make the business stronger.

so outsource isn't always bad and blindly buying american aint very smart either. i dont support amercian products, japanese products, irish products etc, i support quality products. i cannot care less if they are made by martians with green skin. afterall, porsche is german.

finally, i hate it when ppl follow the news and comment on "working condition" of other countries. what appears to be "bad conditions" to the western culture may be just fine else where. i was a child laborer since 6. i didn't get paid. i just get food. i see no problem with that. i work hard i get to places. my dorm in factory has cockroaches and rats. i share food with flies. it's FINE. i am still alive. i feel that's the way to teach kids. kids today are weak and soft. leave no child behind, what does that mean. i work my child, my childrens' friends. train them young get them to work while they are in diapers. no work no food. my kids understand that. and often times i simply do not feed them when work aren't done right. they either do it over and over and over until they get it right or just goto bed hungry, wake up hungry and do it right or will continue to be hungry. i have no interest in promoting the "entitlement generation. children earn their keep, they are entitled to nothing.

just making a few observations, it's best we stay off touchy topic and let's discuss where your wheels are available how custom you can make them, wt and most importantly delivery time and not about "outsourcing", "american superiority", or "working conditions".
I appreciate your input.
High quality parts can be manufactured anywhere in the world, just like low quality parts. Our tolerance standards and pricing were the first decisions that were made. The tolerances could be met by outsourcing, and the pricing could be met by outsourcing.....but not both. For us, the only way to hit our targets was to handle everything.
We can make anything that will fit inside the forging, weight depends on what you want to do, and lead times are approx 2 weeks.
We will not be the absolute lightest wheel on the market. Our wheels are very strong, very light and IMO a very good value.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:24 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,783 Likes on 2,371 Posts

good lead time and it's great you do everything inhouse, very few manufacturers do that and you know how that goes when delays occur.... it's always upstream suppliers' fault.

you sell direct or you have dealer net work? love to see some in person.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:26 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Factory direct
Intriguing
Buy some f11rt in 18
Old 09-04-2012, 04:16 PM
Finspeed
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mooty
good lead time and it's great you do everything inhouse, very few manufacturers do that and you know how that goes when delays occur.... it's always upstream suppliers' fault.

you sell direct or you have dealer net work? love to see some in person.
No dealer network, I bear full responsibility for how our customers are treated.
I would be happy to send you some.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:45 AM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Factory direct
Intriguing
Buy some f11rt in 18
I was thinking the same thing. Will likely have to sell my Fikse's to do it...

Quick Reply: Wheel Manufacturer Info: Finspeed