Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT2 Bucket seats harness options (for Carrera)

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 10:16 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Thanks, so if I went for this, I don't need the other harness bar?
Don't mean to horn in, Larry, but to answer the question, if you get those 4pt belts you won't need the sub bar that mounts under the seat. You'll need everything else.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:18 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the Porsche OEM harness with GT2 sport buckets. I'm pretty sure the Porsche harness is actually made by Schroth. Mine came with 3" shoulder belts and I ended up replacing them with 2" Schroth shoulder belts for use with a HANS device, although I understand 3" belts are OK, too, for HANS. I got just the shoulder belts from HMS Motorsports. I have the RSS bolt-in roll bar with the B-K sub bar and it all works nicely.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:23 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake951
I'm pretty sure the Porsche harness is actually made by Schroth.
+1
Old 08-16-2012, 02:35 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,630 Likes on 2,357 Posts

I *think* there is another significant difference between the Porsche "Schroth" belt and the "generic" Schroth belts worthy of discussion!

I believe that the Porsche version has, sewn into the lap belts, an eyelet that is intended to bolt to the seatbelt mount on the transmission tunnel side, and to the seat (or seatbelt mount on the door sill) on the door side.

these eyelets are no removable.

If you want to be able to clear the lap belts out of the car when not tracking, if you use the "generic" Schroth belts you can also use clip-in attachments from BK to make the lap components removable.

This is not the case with the Porsche version.

Of course, the clip-in style may not be approved by the body with which you track ...

just, fyi.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:36 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Don't mean to horn in, Larry, but to answer the question, if you get those 4pt belts you won't need the sub bar that mounts under the seat. You'll need everything else.
honk honk!
Old 08-16-2012, 02:42 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I *think* there is another significant difference between the Porsche "Schroth" belt and the "generic" Schroth belts worthy of discussion!

I believe that the Porsche version has, sewn into the lap belts, an eyelet that is intended to bolt to the seatbelt mount on the transmission tunnel side, and to the seat (or seatbelt mount on the door sill) on the door side.

these eyelets are no removable.

If you want to be able to clear the lap belts out of the car when not tracking, if you use the "generic" Schroth belts you can also use clip-in attachments from BK to make the lap components removable.

This is not the case with the Porsche version.

Of course, the clip-in style may not be approved by the body with which you track ...

just, fyi.
Thanks... so, which is more flexible then? Seems like the Schroth, right?
Old 08-16-2012, 02:47 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

they are both "Schroth" one is the generic, and the other is specifically made for Porsche GT3 ... but the generic is a little more flexible...
Old 08-16-2012, 02:55 PM
taffin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the Schroth has a rotary dial type release whereas the Porsche has a push button type.

I like the rotary type as in an emergency I think it is easier to use.

Also I would recommend getting the HANS specific Schroth, if you going to the expense and trouble of the seat etc, spend the extra $ and make sure you get a HANS as well.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:57 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by taffin
the Schroth has a rotary dial type release whereas the Porsche has a push button type.

I like the rotary type as in an emergency I think it is easier to use.

Also I would recommend getting the HANS specific Schroth, if you going to the expense and trouble of the seat etc, spend the extra $ and make sure you get a HANS as well.
Isn't HANS just too much? for DE events on a Carrera 4S?
Old 08-16-2012, 02:59 PM
taffin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't DE but track, as I only have one head, I do not find it too much.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:04 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by taffin
Depends on the car.
My GT3 came from the factory with Porsche belts with a rotary dial type.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:51 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

You can't just think in terms of individual items - think of the entire safety system.

For me, there are three options:
- use the stock seatbelts with the airbags and all the other mandatory factory items.
- use the 4-point ASM belts (if approved by the organization). These allow the body to flex and rotate just as the stock belts do. Therefore, no roll bar is needed. A HANS or similar will add to the system.
- use 5 or 6 point restraints in conjunction with a roll bar (at a minimum, a cage or half cage is better) and HANS. If you go with this system, the Schroth GT3 specific belts are the easiest to use.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:24 PM
rubber_ducky
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
You can't just think in terms of individual items - think of the entire safety system.

For me, there are three options:
- use the stock seatbelts with the airbags and all the other mandatory factory items.
- use the 4-point ASM belts (if approved by the organization). These allow the body to flex and rotate just as the stock belts do. Therefore, no roll bar is needed. A HANS or similar will add to the system.
- use 5 or 6 point restraints in conjunction with a roll bar (at a minimum, a cage or half cage is better) and HANS. If you go with this system, the Schroth GT3 specific belts are the easiest to use.
How is it that the 4-point ASM belts allow you to bend in a way that the 5/6 points don't? I can see how they might allow you to submarine yourself, but I can't see that happening (unless it's unintentional) while going shiny-side-down.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:26 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by rubber_ducky
How is it that the 4-point ASM belts allow you to bend in a way that the 5/6 points don't? I can see how they might allow you to submarine yourself, but I can't see that happening (unless it's unintentional) while going shiny-side-down.
That's the way they are designed and why they must be installed correctly - they come in 'right' and 'left' versions. There is an 'energy converter' in the inboard shoulder belt that allows that belt to stretch and your body to rotate.

From the Schroth web site:
The patented SCHROTH asm system offers an unique safety advantage for 4-point harnesses. asm is the acronym for anti submarining. The risk to submarine (sliding underneath the lap belt), a well known phenomenon during frontal impacts, is significantly reduced by the asm safety system. The energy converter is located in the inboard shoulder belt. Therefore make sure you purchase left and/or right harnesses. Severe injuries or death are possible using 4-point harnesses without the SCHROTH asm safety system or an anti-sub strap. SCHROTH harnesses designed for use on public roads (FE push button models) or those likely to be used as 4-points come with the asm safety system. The performance of the SCHROTH asm safety system has also been positively tested in conjunction with airbags.

Quick Reply: GT2 Bucket seats harness options (for Carrera)