Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

over and under steer 101

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 05:50 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
We typically do very fine adjustment such as 1-2 psi off the tire pressure (at 28 psi hot
I still stand by my statement that the first 2 are backwards - I only used 40psi as an example to make the point. I have never, ever, raised tire pressure to get more grip - ever. I lower tire pressure to get more grip at the end that needs more grip - obviously up to a point - these are small adjustments as you say.

And, this also makes sense with all the other methods mentioned as well:
- increased tire pressure = more spring = more ride height = more push (at that end)
- decreased tire pressure = less spring = less ride height = more grip (at that end)

I am removing the conversation of street tires that may need more psi because of overly soft sidewalls that basically collapse with track side loads - in that case, and from very low psi, increasing psi may in fact increase grip
Old 08-09-2012, 06:59 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
I still stand by my statement that the first 2 are backwards - I only used 40psi as an example to make the point. I have never, ever, raised tire pressure to get more grip - ever. I lower tire pressure to get more grip at the end that needs more grip - obviously up to a point - these are small adjustments as you say.

And, this also makes sense with all the other methods mentioned as well:
- increased tire pressure = more spring = more ride height = more push (at that end)
- decreased tire pressure = less spring = less ride height = more grip (at that end)

I am removing the conversation of street tires that may need more psi because of overly soft sidewalls that basically collapse with track side loads - in that case, and from very low psi, increasing psi may in fact increase grip
Sorry we did not catch the flip on the chart. Excellent point ... fixed!

Old 08-09-2012, 07:04 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Than drink more beer. Are you an enjuneer?
Don't like beer ... they don't taste good and alcohol give me gastritis. Once upon a time I was an engineer apprentice
Old 08-09-2012, 07:15 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Ok...so we all strive for a neutral car but if it goes 1 way or the other.....
who prefers and car that understeers?
who prefers a car that oversteers?
Old 08-09-2012, 07:19 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
who prefers a car that understeers?
In a street GT3 I prefer slight understeer to lessen chance of *** coming around. Total neutral in a M3 and Z06. Cup car is a different animal, there are so much grip I treat it like a 50/50 M3 so I like it neutral
Old 08-09-2012, 09:24 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Cole Trickle: Whoa. Her *** is all over the place.
Harry Hogge: When the rear end's loose, the car's fast. Loose is fast, and on the edge of out of control.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:48 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Great chart to print, take the track for a refresher or cheat sheet. One thing it leaves out is what the driver is doing to cause the OS/US and where did it first start. I see a lot of guys start chasing "handling issues" because of tire pressures or ride height but the real cause was a driver input with the throttle, brake or steering.

Be careful tuning your car as you can start making changes that will make the car worse than it already is.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:09 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
who prefers and car that understeers?
Slight oversteer. Mike
Old 08-09-2012, 11:05 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
Great chart to print, take the track for a refresher or cheat sheet. One thing it leaves out is what the driver is doing to cause the OS/US and where did it first start. I see a lot of guys start chasing "handling issues" because of tire pressures or ride height but the real cause was a driver input with the throttle, brake or steering.

Be careful tuning your car as you can start making changes that will make the car worse than it already is.
+1 that's why I would have a pro driver...a true pro that does this for a living every weekend that totally understands these things...like Seth would....drive the car and sit with me when I drive the car. I would go with settings based on their recommendations.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:01 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

If you are not driving at the limit then none of this matters and won't change a thing...
Old 08-10-2012, 04:45 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,566 Likes on 822 Posts

+2
Old 08-10-2012, 05:25 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Very true and the nut behind the steering wheel need attention most of the time. This over/under steer spread sheet is a good reference esp after making changes to suspnsion componenets or tire/wheel size
Old 08-10-2012, 06:51 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
If you are not driving at the limit then none of this matters and won't change a thing...

Old 08-10-2012, 07:07 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

better version
Old 08-10-2012, 07:28 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BECha...ayer_embedded#!

Quick Reply: over and under steer 101