Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

OEM lithium battery

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 07:27 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Peter, look at the maintenance section on the Li-Ion battery manual.

It indicates when the battery has been damaged by exhaustive discharge, and how to determine the condition. It also provides info on the audible beep I had one time last year.

Last edited by NJ-GT; 08-13-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:34 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

I opened my windows in house and wind keeps blowing office door shut

I offer you $50, need a doorstop
Old 08-08-2012, 07:44 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
No problem. I workedout every day since Mancation, ate no carbs and yet gained 8lbs. It's futile, I'm going for a 4.2l....

Too noisy to drive every day....
Ear plugs. Make sure and get the light weight version
Old 08-08-2012, 07:47 PM
tasman
Race Car

Originally Posted by Izzone
I opened my windows in house and wind keeps blowing office door shut

I offer you $50, need a doorstop
Used up PFC rotor. Cheaper and no risk of spontaneous combustion. Or take a tire out of that pile of tires u guys have.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:47 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
No problem. I workedout every day since Mancation, ate no carbs and yet gained 8lbs. It's futile, I'm going for a 4.2l....

Too noisy to drive every day....
I've drank every day, sometimes too much

Losing weight is overrated.....I'll never be Erik size

Bought 200 lbs of lead weight, next time Erik in pits I will disassaseble his car and add weight
Old 08-08-2012, 07:52 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,658 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by tasman
Ear plugs. Make sure and get the light weight version
Lol

Used up PFC rotor. Cheaper and no risk of spontaneous combustion. Or take a tire out of that pile of tires u guys have.
Exactly

Originally Posted by Izzone
I've drank every day, sometimes too much

Losing weight is overrated.....I'll never be Erik size

Bought 200 lbs of lead weight, next time Erik in pits I will disassaseble his car and add weight

Relax. Erik just picked up trakcar 2 aka the lemon. He is 100+ pounds lighter so he needs to beat us by a full second to be concidererd the better driver. Ask Rad.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:35 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

This charger has served me well:

It looks after the factory li-ion, a Braille and various others large and small, it "understands" battery chemistries and can resuscitate a depleted battery -- it has revived jet skis, snowmobiles, SUVs, wood-chippers, etc. It's also pretty small and comes in a weatherproof box with clips and a permanent pig-tail.

Amazon Amazon
Old 08-08-2012, 10:03 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
This charger has served me well:

It looks after the factory li-ion, a Braille and various others large and small, it "understands" battery chemistries and can resuscitate a depleted battery -- it has revived jet skis, snowmobiles, SUVs, wood-chippers, etc. It's also pretty small and comes in a weatherproof box with clips and a permanent pig-tail.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008MUHKLW
Pfffffffff. Paperweight it is I guess....
Old 08-08-2012, 11:20 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

worn, tapered pad
Old 08-08-2012, 11:25 PM
tasman
Race Car

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
worn, tapered pad
Even better!
Old 08-09-2012, 10:25 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Just checked Voltage after letting battery sit overnight. 10V.
Never beeped yet.

I think Porsche should give me a new one, most likely broke due to full discharge and that was due to a bad alternator wich they replaced under warranty with 800 miles on the odo..
Old 08-09-2012, 01:56 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Battery is toast, $3k down the toilet.

Porsche warranty excludes batteries, whether the car has been tracked or not.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:24 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

^ That. Porsche won't even warranty lead acid batteries you think they'll step up to a $3k exposure?

10V may not crank your engine but still good for a bunch of poser applications in the trailer. If not, use as ramp for loading car on to trailer.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:36 PM
modoz61
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure if warranty on batteries is different here in Oz but recently had a flat lead acid replaced at no charge with Porsche road side assist support - runs for 3 years from purchase (at least original owner)
I doubt that would extend to the LiOn variety though
Old 09-26-2012, 05:32 PM
Savage42
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am hoping that this information is used just for clarification and to educate the fellow car enthusiasts, racers, etc. regarding lithium batteries. These are the facts based on my experience with lithium batteries and as a car builder and race driver. This may only be relevant to those who have a lithium battery, are looking to upgrade to lithium or want to know if their lithium battery is bad or not. Lithium batteries are just like street or track tires.....you can buy cheap ones or you can spend money getting ones that will deliver superior performance.....you get what you pay for. It's all just a choice and I am not trying to persuade anyone to buy something they don't need. At the very least, more quality information is always good when making an educated decision on what will meet our needs.

Here is how you can check to see if a lithium battery has been damaged or if it is still good. First, lithium charges at a higher voltage, so an AGM charger will charge at a lower voltage, thus not charge a lithium battery to full capacity. A charge voltage of 14.4 volts is ideal. If you charge the lithium battery to full capacity and let the battery sit overnight, the voltage should not drop below 13.5 volts or it has a bad cell(s).

Also of note, AGM batteries will self-discharge at 3-5% a month, not including parasitic draw. Lithium will self discharge at 1% or less, so they can sit on a shelf for 6 months and have almost no loss, where as an AGM battery can be down 20-30%, getting it real close to a voltage that won't start the car.

The key is having capacity! Putting a small lithium battery designed for a motorcycle is just asking for loss in life cycle and/or premature failure due to parasitic draw, lack of capacity, etc. This is also the case with small AGM batteries.

Just like anything, not all lithium batteries are created equal (build quality, cell chemistry, etc), you ultimately get what you pay for. If you are putting a lithium battery into a nice, high end car like a Porsche, I personally would feel better going with a DOT approved product. From my knowledge, the Porsche Lithium and Braille Lithium batteries are the only automotive batteries with DOT certification.

Here is a quick comparison, just for those interested in an apples to apples comparison of a few 12v Automotive Lithium (SLI) batteries:

Porsche OE Lithium battery: $3000

Braille I48CE is half the price, has double the cranking amps and 50% more capacity than the OE unit. This is a direct comparison, the Braille is a few pounds lighter, DOT approved and has a 3 year warranty (even if raced or tracked).

Braille I48CS is $500 less than OE, has 4.5 times the cranking power, 3 times the capacity of the OE model, DOT approved and 3 year warranty.

The Flying Lizard Porsche team runs the Braille I48CS in both of their ALMS GT cars. Other factory ALMS GT teams that run Braille lithium include Corvette, Ferrari, Lotus and Viper, along with most of the prototypes. They are also used exclusively in the DTM (German Touring Car) series in every Audi, BMW & Mercedes. There is a reason that all of them run Braille Lithium.

Besides weight savings, those teams have reported quicker starting, improved engine management & data logging performance and less HP draw from the alternator due to efficient charging (5 times faster than AGM).

Lastly, when it comes to capacity, I have seen a Porsche 911 (997) with equipped with the Braille I48CS sit for 6 months without a charger and still start the car. This is another benefit for those who don't drive their cars regularly, still want a light battery that has more capacity than the OE battery and has a life construction of 7-10 years. This is why many Porsche dealerships are Braille distributors, as they want to offer their customers a way to shave significant weight off the car, offer better performance and do it as cost effectively as possible, without compromise. Just my 42 cents.

Quick Reply: OEM lithium battery