Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Help me setup my C2S to handle more like a GT3 please?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 09:22 PM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

WTF is going on around here? Guys wanting to go over 200mph and now someone wanting to make a C2S a GT3?!?! Hmmm...

Please just get a GT3 and end the pain. You won't be sorry and someone else can start down the slippery slope with your car
Old 07-25-2012, 09:24 PM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

Also, please pardon the cynicism. I've been reading too many of Rad's posts of late.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:30 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lewis,

You are too agitated - there must be a nuclear emergency somewhere where you are needed - or, drive to NJ and catch the end of mancation.

Paul
Old 07-25-2012, 09:51 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by mobonic
GT3 LCA are a must!!! 80% of the understeer will go away.

I have done everything you can do and more to a C2S, so I know.

Get these mods and enjoy the car:
GT3 LCA
stiffer sway bars ( I have a set of RSS front and rear for sale off my car)
solid dog bones and toe links (will transfer to any 997 in future)
better shocks ( I have a set of JRZ RS PRO 2 way adjustable for sale)
track brake fluid ( I like Motul & Brembo)and pads ( I like PFC 08)
+1

excellent advice from experience and some of these parts are for sale!
Old 07-25-2012, 10:17 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

997GT3North, can you name all the RL in your avatar. Trying to put faces with names
Old 07-26-2012, 07:25 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From 12 o'clock going clockwise

Randy (of the infamous Randy and Peter Mancation)
Marc (part of the French duo of Marc and Francois - hosts at Mosport and Tremblant)
Lewis (distinguished gentlemen from Atlanta driving Red 2010gt3 above this post)
Clarke (the lunatic 1 hand driver from the south hooked on Mich Slicks who is psychotically fast)
me
Sly (the lovely young lady on the mancation who went over Mosport #4 without braking)
Mark (team drug money and photographer)
Peter (the other infamous part of the Peter and Randy Mancation show)
Old 07-26-2012, 08:23 AM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

Run a fatter front tire. Think you can squeeze a 255 in there. I've got some buddies who run C2S cars on the track ~20 days/yr and they are not materially slower than a well driven GT3.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:23 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

What about a 996 GT3? I guess I don't exactly know the market on your car but if a 997 GT3 is 20-30k delta then you should be able to sell you car and get into a 996 GT3 for very little money right now.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:37 AM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
From 12 o'clock going clockwise

Randy (of the infamous Randy and Peter Mancation)
Marc (part of the French duo of Marc and Francois - hosts at Mosport and Tremblant)
Lewis (distinguished gentlemen from Atlanta driving Red 2010gt3 above this post)
Clarke (the lunatic 1 hand driver from the south hooked on Mich Slicks who is psychotically fast)
me
Sly (the lovely young lady on the mancation who went over Mosport #4 without braking)
Mark (team drug money and photographer)
Peter (the other infamous part of the Peter and Randy Mancation show)
Awesome! Thanks for the names
Old 07-26-2012, 10:25 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Gibbo
Hi there

Right now the car understeers quite badly, pushes a lot and even though its quick on track, I want less push and more overall grip. Car currently has -1degree front camber and like -1.3degree rear camber.

The car is a daily driver in both dry/wet and I do 5-6 track events per year.

1. Front ARB which setting is best?
2. Rear ARB which setting is best?
3. How much front negative camber should we aim for?
4. How much rear negative camber should we aim for?
5. Any other important toe/castor settings to aim for?

With the above and the spec of the car all fitted and GEO done, can I expect quite a nice improvement in both how the car drives along with its overall grip levels etc?

What else should I consider modding on the car which could improve it more so? Is GT3 997.1 PASM compatible with my 997.1 C2S, is it any different/better, worthwhile?
any 997.1 platform can be set to run pretty damn well, 996 based racers can run very competitively against any gt3 cars, it all depends of what work was done.
settings on sway bars will depend of your suspension setup. stock street car has 2 issues: shocks are valved for soft springs, soft springs allow too much suspension travel in the corners and under hard braking.
so what you do first is to rework suspension. you have 2 options - keep non-adjustable PASM shocks and put on different springs. If you decide on that - use Eibach, they have 'lowering kit' for PASM, it does not require re-valving of shocks - or look it up here on forum what gt3north did - custom springs and then send stock shocks to bilstein for re-valving.
it will be cost may be 1/3rd of the price of a 'proper' track setup like JRZ/Moton dual adjustable PRO shocks.

then in front put gt3 or racing upper shock mounts so you could rotate them to move shocks tops inside to allow bigger wheel to be used and fatter tire. i run 275 tire in front with 335 in rear, will use 315 in rear next season but 275 in front feels very good.
on rear it is advicable to buy bump steer tie rod ends and you also need adjustable fork(thrust) arms in front to correct caster. for LCAs if you already got GT3 it is fine, RSS Tarmac would be a better deal but it is OK.

in rear axle you need toe arms, also with bump steer (if you plan to lower your car significantly). dogbones are optional, it can be done at any time in the future.

for street/track car i run -2.7deg front camber -2.2 rear, 0 toe front, 0.10 toe rear. castor can only be adjusted after you put adjustable fork arms, on my car i beleive it is set to 8.7.

what you need to think also is your motor. it requires oiling aid, if you have nothing done at all - put in those modified bafles into oil pan that tarett sells now as x51 996 oil pan seems to be gone from everywhere. preferably put in motorsports AOS unit instead of stock one. and also preferably, if you have cash - find a good rebuilder, invest $10k-$12K to rebuild your 3.8L motor into big bore racing spec engine in any good racing shop that works on grandam or koni cars - they will put in better cylinders, improve cooling passages, replace rods and rod bolts with much stronger ones and after that those motors will run with way smaller probability to explode.

Last edited by utkinpol; 07-26-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:34 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ATL Fahrer
Please just get a GT3 and end the pain. You won't be sorry and someone else can start down the slippery slope with your car
I actually agree, perhaps to sell 997.1 C2S and buy a 996 gt3 would be a very smart move to do. then spend some $ to put proper shocks into it, adjust rake and alignment, run it for 2-3 years to learn it, then rebuild motor into 3.9L and run it forever. that is a 'smart' plan.

life, unfortunately, rarely allows for 'smart' things to happen so in result people are stuck with cars like mine with little to no desire to redo it from the scratch.
like for me now it is simpler and cheaper to buy new or rebuild old motor than to go over whole ordeal with car replacement.

Last edited by utkinpol; 07-26-2012 at 10:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Help me setup my C2S to handle more like a GT3 please?