Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Not to early to start thinking of PTS on your upcoming 991 gt3 & RS order!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 02:42 AM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

low option in white with sport buckets in black leather and alcantara.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:08 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

larry, sorry but BMW in any color any configuration is FUGLY.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:40 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default 2) Leather Interior Choices - Part 2

2) Leather Interior Choices - Part 2

The new Two Tone (BiColor) interior offerings from Porsche are worthy a separate discussion on this thread. Although Porsche offered some limited two tone interiors in the past, the ones for the new 991 and 981 are especially significant because they are also combined with very distinctive deviating stitching in 'key' upper panels. These are very similar to the interesting BiColors introduced very late in the 997.2 model range (e.g. MY2012), although one of my favorites - 'Black/Sand Beige' - was seldom ordered by customers or dealers on its debut. That is why I am highlighting these BiColor options for you today. I believe when customers get more familiar with them and what flair they offer your car's interior, they will become very popular with Porsche buyers on the 991!

These new BiColors are all color coordinated to their matching lower panel colors and look positively smashing! For a great number of prospective new owners that have often thought of ordering deviating stitching but gave up because of the complexity and color decision process, this is a ready-made coordinated package from 'factory' that has great appeal and it's easy to order! In addition, it's a bloody bargain! Depending on what seat you order, the BiColor option is $430 or $790 according to the PCNA Configurator*.

The stitching alone, if done 'a la carte', would cost nearly an extra $1200 on the coupe or $800 on a cabriolet. You get an additional rear panel top stitched in the coupe! Here are some current deviating stitching prices from Porsche for the US:
Deviating stitch dashboard 390.00
Deviating Stitching door trim 390.00
Dev. stitch rear side top panel 390.00

On the 991, you get to choose from two BiColor choices: 'Agate Grey/Pebble Grey' and 'Black/Platinum Grey' (see photo #1). The 'green' option is 'Agate Grey/Lime Gold' which is shown on Configurator available only on the 981 but which I hope is also allowed in the 991! I hope to check soon with 'Porsche Exclusive' to see if that BiColor 'Lime Gold' will be extended to the 991.

The advantages of Two Tone or BiColor are many but let me list a few:

a) It visually helps 'enlarge' the 991's cabin space by the lighter color under panels!
b) Reduces glare on front windshield since dash is dark color. A common objection to lighter color interiors!
b) The deviating stitching is just enough to make the whole interior 'pop'!
c) It is an easy, no-fuss way to distinguish your interior from the drab 'black' so often favored by Teutons over at the Fatherland!
d) Leather Steering Wheel is color coordinated to your BiColor interior!
d) It is a bargain as far as normal 'Porsche Exclusive' options go!

Next set of photos are of a 'Racing Yellow' 991 Coupe with the BiColor 'Black/Platinum Grey' option. Note the extra stitching on rear top panel barely visible on one of the coupe's interior shots! Photos taken at Rennsport IV at Laguna Seca.

Final set of photos are of an 'Agate Grey' 991 Cabriolet with the BiColor 'Agate Grey/Pebble Grey' option. Photos taken at 'Porsche of Colorado Springs'.

I hope some of you seriously consider these great new options on your next Porsche!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, Colorado

*Pricing for Two Tone/BiColor option is set depending on seat selection. If you order the more expensive 'Natural' leather, price for the 'Sport Seat' is more that the 'Sport Seat Plus' because the former has leather on the back and it will cost more to do. Fine. But if you order 'Two Tone/BiColor', it is the opposite. Cost more if you have 'Sport Seat Plus' although less is covered in leather. Doesn't make sense to me but it's a minor point.
Attached Images        
Old 07-28-2012, 04:02 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

I have never seen a GT3 or RS with a custom leather interior. Was it ever offered? Thought the most you could do was full leather and deviated stitching, aside from other bits like carbon, painted, etc.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:26 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by scott40
I have never seen a GT3 or RS with a custom leather interior. Was it ever offered? Thought the most you could do was full leather and deviated stitching, aside from other bits like carbon, painted, etc.
Not to my knowledge, Scott. I am just including these additional posts on my thread on this forum to be consistent to what I am doing over at the 991 and 981 forums. The only truly relevant post to the 991 gt3's might be the first one on PTS!

Re: your comment. On these gt3 cars, as you know, PAG initially had a 'Henry Ford' kind of mentality - any interior color you want as long as it's black! But they always allowed deviating stitching and combined it with their signature fabric reserved for its sportiest of models - Alcantara!

Only on the gt2 RS and the 4.0 Limited Edition gt3 RS did the normally staid PAG designers tripped out on some 'acid' and actually threw some color into the otherwise drab black interior via the garish use of 'red' Alcantara! Mama Mia Figaro!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, Co

*Photos taken at the recent PCA Parade at Miller MotorSports Park in Salt Lake City!
Attached Images    
Old 07-28-2012, 04:43 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 69 Posts

Actually Porsche offered Natural brown special leather on 996 GT3's

I've seen several White and one Blue 6GT3 with this interior...def better than black

wsh
Old 07-28-2012, 07:46 PM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Would go with the Birch Green PTS color!
Old 07-28-2012, 09:19 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by brake dust
Would go with the Birch Green PTS color!
I loved that color. It was ordered by Pioneer, now 'Porsche of San Diego'. They are the dealer that special order (on speculation) my 2007 Carrera S in 'Signal Green'. They are quite 'daring' in that way and I applaud their courage & guts! The salesman I know there and trust is:

Matthew Bang
Pioneer Porsche
858.695.3000 Office
760.846.0606 Cell

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images   
Old 07-29-2012, 08:39 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

^
Wish I could have seen that car in person! Interesting comment on PTS option being one of the best options to enhance long term value of the car - makes alot of sense. Seems like there are a number of people currently looking for GT3's in GR, RB or MB currently.
Thanks for posting this information!!
Old 07-29-2012, 11:52 AM
senna
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they PTS the 991 RS in Aubergine, I would be game.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:16 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by senna
If they PTS the 991 RS in Aubergine, I would be game.
You will never know unless you start the process when the 991 gt3 becomes available! That is unless someone else has already been successful requesting that color and putting it through that battery of tests by PAG & DuPont! So be brave and remember what Horace once wrote in a poem: 'Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero'. You still remember your Latin from Prep School, no?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, Colorado
Old 07-30-2012, 09:45 AM
Steven_H
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 37 Posts

I am afraid that the owners of Pioneer of San Diego have clipped Matt's wings a bit. I'd be surprised if we saw any more PTS colors ordered for inventory.

What they allowed on the interior of the 4.0 was deviated stitching, but on the seat only if one deleted the 4.0 logo on the headrest. Also center console and background of PSM unit exterior (PTS) color. Door pull straps could be had in black.

Also with PTS one can get the Porsche fitted luggage painted to match the car.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:38 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Steven_H
I am afraid that the owners of Pioneer of San Diego have clipped Matt's wings a bit. I'd be surprised if we saw any more PTS colors ordered for inventory.
Do you know this for a fact after talking to them? If so, that would be a shame. Also, are you the Steven H. that owns a PTS 'Chartreuse' gt3 RS?

Here are photos of the MY2007 'Signal Green' Carrera S that Pioneer (P of San Diego) ordered on spec and was bought by a friend of mine around June of 2007. This is the car that I purchased from him in 2011. Original owner had Pioneer add a factory 'aerokit', so the front and rear bumpers/lid were color matched to the rest of the factory paint by Pioneer in the summer of 2007.

The original 'Signal Green' was introduced in 1966/67, very early in the history of the 911's. Color code then was 'R6001'. In 1968/69 is was '6829' and in 1970/71 was '7810'. Back in the late 60's and early 70's, 'Signal Green' was a 'Special Paint Color' and never offered as a 'Standard'. It has been quite a rare color from day one and not many original paint examples of early 911's have survived to the present in 'Signal Green'. To my knowledge, it was never offered again by the factory until 1991, although it's possible someone ordered it before via Paint to Sample in the interim period.

From 1991 to 1993, Porsche did offer a 'Signal Green' in the 911, 928 and 968. That Porsche color code then for this color was 'L22S' / M1.

As far as modern Porsches in 'Signal Green' are concerned, Pioneer custom ordered (PTS) two 997's in that color in MY2007, mine being one of them! We don't know exactly what specific color the factory decided to 'copy' from its previous 'Signal Green', but most likely it was a version of the more modern '91/'93 color. 'Signal Green' has a lot of yellow in it and back in the 60's/70's quite a bit of lead was used to obtain the vibrancy of that color hue in the paint. Modern paint formulations change all the time and I am certain the formula for 'Signal Green' was upgraded in 2007. In any case, when the two cars finally arrived at Pioneer in the spring of 2007, they found that the color code that Porsche had assigned to the new 'Signal Green' paint was 'W25', not 'L22S' from '91''93!

Loeber near Chicago and Porsche of West Houston decided to order their 'Green' 997's a year later, so they were MY2008. Turns out that the Loeber car was not 'Signal Green' as previously thought but 'RS Green'. That '08 911S currently belongs to a Rennlist member in the 997 forum.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...1-c2s-f77.html

MY2008 was the first year they allowed 'RS Orange' and 'RS Green' to be ordered via PTS on models other than the gt3 RS. PAG also offered a limited edition Boxster's and Cayman's in both of those colors in that model year! Now that we found out that the Loeber car is 'RS Green', I am not as confident about the color of 'Porsche of West Houston' '08 car. That was a 997S cabriolet ordered by the sales manager as his company car. It sat there for a year unsold due to its high MSRP price due to its many options. I was heavily discounted in '09 and finally sold. It recently turn up for resale in a suburb of Houston and has since sold. I have never seen that car in person so we would have to check its 'colour code' in the gas cap to verify its true color!

Many have confused 'Signal Green' with the color Porsche developed specifically for the 2007/2008 gt3 RS. That color is officially called 'RS Green' and has more blue in it than yellow! They are easy to tell apart when side by side. I have a photo of my car alongside an 'RS Green' gt3 RS at an R Gruppe function which shows the contrast quite clearly! 'RS Green' also has a different code - 2D8 (J5). The latter is the color already approved for PTS on the 991 and 981!

Besides Pioneer, Loeber and Porsche of West Houston, the old Stoddard (now Beachwood) dealership in Ohio and Porsche of Roslyn in NY have a reputation for doing fabulous PTS colors on their 911 orders in recent years! That has been quite gutsy of them and I salute them for taking the risk involved! We have all benefited from their creativity and imagination on these unusual PTS orders! So I sure hope none of these folks' wings get clipped!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, Colorado
Attached Images     
Old 07-30-2012, 12:43 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
larry, sorry but BMW in any color any configuration is FUGLY.
dont be sorry! ... not only may they be FUGLY but they are also slower, and tend not to stop so well after not too long either!
Old 07-30-2012, 12:48 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

loved the signal green Eduardo! ... not too mention the Spyder Aqua/Red ...

Monterey and Torrance (Central) Porsche of the Lithia group got a little wild with the PTS on the .2 GT3, they ordered 2x Mexico Blue cars for inventory, both of which sat there for months until I bought one ... and someone else bought the other ...

Quick Reply: Not to early to start thinking of PTS on your upcoming 991 gt3 & RS order!