Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Trackrat High-Desert Invitational DE/TT Oct 26-28 Registration is Open.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 09:28 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
We need to put together a training video like the one below and have a guy with German accent do the narrating ... "when you leave the stright right away it gets tight, first Fernley corner, do not touch the inside, you can use the curb on the outside slightly. two right hander, be careful, second one is tighter ... before T6, brake and one steering angle through 6 apexes .... "
I am actually working on just such a video for tracks all over the US and Canada, but minus the Cherman accent. You'll have to settle for my Pennsylvania-via-Texas non-accent.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:48 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, so the M3 guy in the above video was hauling ***. The config C with all the tight turns reminded me of Nürburgring ... except it's bald
Bald...lol.

The BMW video was shot in 2007, so 5 years give or take. Considering todays track surface, figure he would be approx 10 secs slower, maybe more. His line is very good though. A guy who does SCCA events with me posted a video with annotating text as you suggest but it is with a Miata so line is in many places much different than the line for a GT3 or Vette. When he suggests lifting Mr. GT3 needs a big honking stomp of brakes...haha, so I don't want to post it.

You just have to accept it will take all weekend to figure out the segments and string it all together. Fun is in the learning

Some of my local SCCA run buddies will be signing up and will be good rabbits if you get behind one of them.

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Wow - that track looks awesome!
Although 12 hours in sport bucket seats may be a bit much! Particularly in the confines of a Cayman. And gas to drive the R8 out there would run a few bucks.

Anyone from AZ with room in a hauler?
I am guilty of driving 8 hours to run Spring Mountain (Pahrump) many times in both my Spyder and GT3RS, both with buckets. Also did 12 hours straight in a GT2RS with buckets. Not bad actually. A hauler and then fly in would be sweet though
Old 07-24-2012, 12:03 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
I am guilty of driving 8 hours to run Spring Mountain (Pahrump) many times in both my Spyder and GT3RS, both with buckets. Also did 12 hours straight in a GT2RS with buckets. Not bad actually. A hauler and then fly in would be sweet though
Spring Mountain is only 6 hours from here and the trip isn't bad at all. I honestly find the sport buckets to be the most comfortable of all the seats Porsche offers.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:22 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I am actually working on just such a video for tracks all over the US and Canada, but minus the Cherman accent. You'll have to settle for my Pennsylvania-via-Texas non-accent.
Fantastic! Will look for the instruction video

Bald...lol.

The BMW video was shot in 2007, so 5 years give or take. Considering todays track surface, figure he would be approx 10 secs slower, maybe more. His line is very good though. A guy who does SCCA events with me posted a video with annotating text as you suggest but it is with a Miata so line is in many places much different than the line for a GT3 or Vette. When he suggests lifting Mr. GT3 needs a big honking stomp of brakes...haha, so I don't want to post it.

You just have to accept it will take all weekend to figure out the segments and string it all together. Fun is in the learning

Some of my local SCCA run buddies will be signing up and will be good rabbits if you get behind one of them.
I like this radical video but look like they skip all the twisties

Ariel Atoms took the twisties but another old video ...

Old 07-25-2012, 11:09 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Fantastic! Will look for the instruction video
I like this radical video but look like they skip all the twisties.

Ariel Atoms took the twisties but another old video ...
Aside from front straight those two videos show different configs. Good lines but not showing 2x-3x extra track we will be on. Two more SCCA events here before the Trackrat event, hopefully they will chose config C for one of them and I will post some video of my line.

Oh hey, I just dug around and found a video of me driving C in ole' Blue! Quality is crap but it shows you a good but not great line

http://youtube.com/PVy8OT9RWIk
Old 07-25-2012, 04:45 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Aside from front straight those two videos show different configs. Good lines but not showing 2x-3x extra track we will be on. Two more SCCA events here before the Trackrat event, hopefully they will chose config C for one of them and I will post some video of my line.

Oh hey, I just dug around and found a video of me driving C in ole' Blue! Quality is crap but it shows you a good but not great line

http://youtube.com/PVy8OT9RWIk
just fixed your video link

Old 07-27-2012, 11:30 AM
Bill Hetzel
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aside from front straight those two videos show different configs. Good lines but not showing 2x-3x extra track we will be on.
The vid with the Radical was done before the upper course was even built. The Atom vid is course F, not nearly as fun as course C.

Pete has picked the best config for the track.

BTW, Brian Redman consulted on the design of the upper track. It is busy.....but fun.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:33 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill Hetzel
The vid with the Radical was done before the upper course was even built. The Atom vid is course F, not nearly as fun as course C.

Pete has picked the best config for the track.

BTW, Brian Redman consulted on the design of the upper track. It is busy.....but fun.
Welcome Bill! One of our local "Grand Masters", who, if he gets his car back together will be one of the rabbits for the non-locals in the Oct event

I picked the config that most groups don't want to run because they say their drivers "get lost" on the course because it has too many corners

Wow, interesting background there about Redman, I did not know that? I had to go look him up on Wikipedia. Explains why that upper half is so darn challenging.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:18 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

I tried to read the configuration c map. it's worse than Disneyland. I will put gps on car so I know where the hot pit is.

I'll be there for the BBQ. make it good!

looking forward to meet some good fellowvRLster and earn a new trk. give me two years, I think I can remember how any turns for config c by then
Old 07-29-2012, 12:16 AM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

Here a track map & notes that I have from a previous trip to Reno-Fernley several years ago. It's shows the line for Configuration A, a slight deviation from the one Savyboy has selected but still some good information.

A few of us Canuck's are still looking at this but it looks like it conflicts with a NASA race date at Miller, not sure I can make it, looks like it will be a hoot.

Cheers

Russ

RFR_theline.pdf
Old 08-07-2012, 11:04 PM
c6r2006
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, so the M3 guy in the above video was hauling ***. The config C with all the tight turns reminded me of Nürburgring ... except it's bald

We need to put together a training video like the one below and have a guy with German accent do the narrating ... "when you leave the stright right away it gets tight, first Fernley corner, do not touch the inside, you can use the curb on the outside slightly. two right hander, be careful, second one is tighter ... before T6, brake and one steering angle through 6 apexes .... "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lqt8TioEDc
WOW!!! impressive video...amazing how fast the RSR tooked off.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:42 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I'll buy that video, but the accent must be authentic, no Texas rawl in my fake German please
Old 08-07-2012, 11:43 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
I tried to read the configuration c map. it's worse than Disneyland. I will put gps on car so I know where the hot pit is.

I'll be there for the BBQ. make it good!

looking forward to meet some good fellowvRLster and earn a new trk. give me two years, I think I can remember how any turns for config c by then
We have the same learning curve
Old 08-08-2012, 12:31 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I'll buy that video, but the accent must be authentic, no Texas rawl in my fake German please
LOL!
Old 08-08-2012, 01:32 AM
DJN
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

I'd be happy to do voice-overs for you in any one, or all, of my 20+ silly accents. Choose from Canadian Hoser, Outrageous French, Radical Surfer Dude, Big Tex, Big Apple, Glasgow Scot, Mrs Doubtfire (/David Couthard) Scot, Sean Connery 007 Scot, Sex-in-the-city Gay Guy (or slightly less intense), Royal (marbles in the mouth) English, Guy Ritchie movie gutter English, New Delhi-belly Indian, Loco Mexican, Zilly German Zcientist......to name a few.......

Quick Reply: Trackrat High-Desert Invitational DE/TT Oct 26-28 Registration is Open.