Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Trackrat High-Desert Invitational DE/TT Oct 26-28 Registration is Open.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 03:39 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm bummed I can't come as it conflicts with our POC Sears Point Race weekend and I have been dying to drive SP.

I hope you guys have a blast and I will make the next one!
Old 07-20-2012, 03:50 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikymu
Pete, is it safe to leave the Z06 on the track overnight like Thunderhill and do you recommend brining canopy for cover? Will bring up Z06 Friday and maybe Cup for Saturday if I can leave the Z there.
Yes, safe.

Canopy will depend on weather - odds are that it will be mid 60's and sunny and just plain perfect in which case I would say no need for canopy. Also, I might be able to arrange for a big tent if we get enough signups, had one there for a different event last year and was a good lunch/meeting area.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:48 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Yes, safe.

Canopy will depend on weather - odds are that it will be mid 60's and sunny and just plain perfect in which case I would say no need for canopy. Also, I might be able to arrange for a big tent if we get enough signups, had one there for a different event last year and was a good lunch/meeting area.
Hey Pete. Just registered and paid for 3 days. Don't put me in beginner group ... there is not enough room there for my ego lol

A large tent will be great for download and hang out. I would say wait till we have full turn out so you can recoup your cost for tent rental. I will most likely bring a canopy for my car(s) to provide shade.

Last edited by mikymu; 07-21-2012 at 04:19 AM.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:02 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just looked at this config C video ... wow! tons of turns! Like what you said, this config will even out high and low Hp cars and reward driver that can really drive. Will definitely set my suspension soft and tons of camber

Old 07-21-2012, 10:04 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Hey Pete. Just registered and paid for 3 days. Don't put me in beginner group ... there is not enough room there for my ego lol
Welcome! No worries, no beginners group here, most everyone will be newbies to the track though. Your ego will be free to run flatout!

Just looked at this config C video ... wow! tons of turns! Like what you said, this config will even out high and low Hp cars and reward driver that can really drive. Will definitely set my suspension soft and tons of camber
Hadn't seen that video before, good find Mike! Quite good line too, that is pretty much how I would drive it.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:48 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Pete,

Anyway I can sign up for only 1 day ? Pretty sure I can't do the two day- but I would love to. Regardless I'm going to go ahead and pay if I can't and perhaps someone else can do my Saturday event if they would like ?
Old 07-22-2012, 04:02 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
Pete,

Anyway I can sign up for only 1 day ? Pretty sure I can't do the two day- but I would love to. Regardless I'm going to go ahead and pay if I can't and perhaps someone else can do my Saturday event if they would like ?
I think I have you fixed up, added single day registrations.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:19 PM
inverterman
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 184 Posts

Pete, I am definitely in. Sitting with Joe now strategizing the drive up with the RV and Stacker.

Confirming we can camp at the track Thursday-Sunday.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:41 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by inverterman
Pete, I am definitely in. Sitting with Joe now strategizing the drive up with the RV and Stacker.

Confirming we can camp at the track Thursday-Sunday.
Awesome, welcome! Yes, you are welcome to camp. No bonfires please

No hookups, water or power to plug into, plan to be self-contained.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:23 PM
speedoflight
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

**** no sound limit. i want to remove side mufflers for this event!
Old 07-23-2012, 03:49 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by speedoflight
**** no sound limit. i want to remove side mufflers for this event!
Correct. You can run six megaphones, one off each exhaust port if you want to.

Side muffler weight is huge and right over that big heavy butt.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:55 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Side muffler weight is huge and right over that big heavy butt.
LOL

OEM side mufflers are as heavy as an aircraft carrier anchor

What's a novice, intermediate and race qualify lap time for config C?
Old 07-23-2012, 04:18 PM
savyboy
Drifting

LOL

OEM side mufflers are as heavy as an aircraft carrier anchor

What's a novice, intermediate and race qualify lap time for config C?
That's a fact and I know you know very well

Hmmm, well on day one for someone not familiar with the config, it'll be mainly about figuring out where to turn and not running off track on the blind corners . It will be way harder to learn than Laguna or Thunderhill because you have to properly string together several corners at a time. That is one of the things that makes this track so addictive, you can drive it 20 times and most likely be faster each time as you figure things out.

Anyhow...At the end of the event, I'm guessing a top lap time will be in the mid 2:40's (2:43-2:48) for a high HP car on slicks. So 2:48-2:55 for fast guys and 2:60+ for the more leisurely folks who want to run for pleasure/fun.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:40 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

That's a fact and I know you know very well

Hmmm, well on day one for someone not familiar with the config, it'll be mainly about figuring out where to turn and not running off track on the blind corners . It will be way harder to learn than Laguna or Thunderhill because you have to properly string together several corners at a time. That is one of the things that makes this track so addictive, you can drive it 20 times and most likely be faster each time as you figure things out.

Anyhow...At the end of the event, I'm guessing a top lap time will be in the mid 2:40's (2:43-2:48) for a high HP car on slicks. So 2:48-2:55 for fast guys and 2:60+ for the more leisurely folks who want to run for pleasure/fun.
wow, so the M3 guy in the above video was hauling ***. The config C with all the tight turns reminded me of Nürburgring ... except it's bald

We need to put together a training video like the one below and have a guy with German accent do the narrating ... "when you leave the stright right away it gets tight, first Fernley corner, do not touch the inside, you can use the curb on the outside slightly. two right hander, be careful, second one is tighter ... before T6, brake and one steering angle through 6 apexes .... "

Old 07-24-2012, 01:40 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

Wow - that track looks awesome!
Although 12 hours in sport bucket seats may be a bit much! Particularly in the confines of a Cayman. And gas to drive the R8 out there would run a few bucks.

Anyone from AZ with room in a hauler?

Quick Reply: Trackrat High-Desert Invitational DE/TT Oct 26-28 Registration is Open.