Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Trackrat High-Desert Invitational DE/TT Oct 26-28 Registration is Open.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 09:29 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that pic is of mooty driving STRAIGHT FLATOUT at pikes peak
Old 10-29-2012, 09:59 PM
inverterman
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by drl
Laps 3 and 4 in my vid are 2:42.8 and 2:42.9. I think those are fastest but not 100% sure.

No data on video yet. I have not played around much with my solo dl and gopro and have yet to master these basics.

Yes I believe you are spot on and showed the fastest "posted" time. 4Porsh (Joe) on Nittos, was .67 seconds off of your reported transponder time showing second fastest as of lunch on Sunday. What a great time
Old 10-29-2012, 10:09 PM
inverterman
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by chasen1211
Mike u would like this track, lots of corners you can drift on... Trust me
Yes, and I saw the corded Hoosiers to prove it

Surface eats rubber.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:30 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,063 Likes on 390 Posts

Did anyone running their own timing/acquisition run faster? Also, are the times still up? I can't get them thru the app anymore for Sunday.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:38 AM
Eric S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 4porsh
It was cool putting a name/face/car to the RL persona.
Great to meet a bunch of you guys I have only known as Rennlist posters. Was really bummed I got sidelined by a damn JRZ shock seal that we couldn't resolve Who'd have thought to double check what we had just shock dyno'd before installed with all new alignment and ride height setup.

What a cool bunch of like minded track nuts, wish I could have played!

Thanks to Pete, Doug and all who helped out with track support and for putting this on. Felt like open track time and all the room you could wish for.

Surely a track that makes you work for it and try to find that line!

Looking forward to more adventures soon.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:44 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,886 Likes on 2,408 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Did anyone running their own timing/acquisition run faster? Also, are the times still up? I can't get them thru the app anymore for Sunday.
NOT faster, but i didn't have the AMB thing.

solo DL on my car
nitto chasing joe sy 6gt3: 2:43:82
R6 chasing DRL 7.2RS: 2:43:17
Old 10-30-2012, 03:47 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,886 Likes on 2,408 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric S
Great to meet a bunch of you guys I have only known as Rennlist posters. Was really bummed I got sidelined by a damn JRZ shock seal that we couldn't resolve Who'd have thought to double check what we had just shock dyno'd before installed with all new alignment and ride height setup.

What a cool bunch of like minded track nuts, wish I could have played!

Thanks to Pete, Doug and all who helped out with track support and for putting this on. Felt like open track time and all the room you could wish for.

Surely a track that makes you work for it and try to find that line!

Looking forward to more adventures soon.
too bad your shock failed.
but for more track time, PCA GGR is doing LS on the tue and wed before thanksgiving. tell wife, you will behave with the in-laws as long as you get those days on track.
the monday before turkey day is PCA diablo region at LS.

i think i will be there all three days.
got to make that turkey pay for it.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:35 PM
DJN
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 52 Posts
Default What an amazing 5 days!!!!

Wow, it was great to meet all the guys of RFR. What a fun weekend! I had the pleasure of meeting Savyboy and drl previously, but it was great to meet mooty, Chris F, Eric S, Chromium24, and many others I could not match name, car, and rennlist handle (Jason (and Mike's car, nice and fast!), Orlando, Paul, John and other yellow Porsche....and more....please remind me if I forgot your name - I had 8 students to remember too - brain overload!).

It was great also to see some other true enthusiasts (Lar and John) switching to 5-lugs, and truly loving it! It is like having a new car, Enjoy Gents!

I kept my nose clean all weekend and stayed "on track" in the "B" group as I needed to drive the same street tires 6.5 hrs back to Las Vegas (although I had a couple a hairy moments when my car went into "ice-mode" a couple of times in the tricky bumpy brake zone for turn 15). That grabs ones attention!!! Whew, gathered her up! Still I managed some decent times on the RE-11's in the low 2:53's, some 10s off the fastest BIG BOYS in group "A" on slicks, due to lack of grip and mostly tiny plums! She's a wicked race track.

I enjoyed helping the newbies and I acted as Chief Instructor for classroom sessions ....and had to teach the Lambo guy from scratch on Sunday. Nice car, and he loved tracking that monster. I scared the crap out of him in my gt3 on some "moderate" orientation laps. Ha Ha!

I got back to Las Vegas at Sunday dinner time and then found out I needed to get my car cleaned up because the ClearPlex guys needed a car for their booth at SEMA (their planned car fell through last minute). So race track Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Car Show Monday....its there all week in Booth 12519....I'll put some photos on Rennlist on Friday. It took me 5 F'ing hours to clean up! She cleaned up good!

I want to thank Pat and his team of Track Marshalls for keeping us safe all weekend. Great to meet you Sir!

Finally, all of this adventure could not be possible without the HUGE effort of Pete (savyboy!) who by doing his homework (every day for 2 months) pulled off a great event. Excellent job Pete, well done, and thank you for your hard work! You are a real gentleman.

Best Regards,
Doug N

Last edited by DJN; 10-30-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:01 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,063 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
NOT faster, but i didn't have the AMB thing.

solo DL on my car
nitto chasing joe sy 6gt3: 2:43:82
R6 chasing DRL 7.2RS: 2:43:17
Crap! Damn you and your flat out driving style. Missed you by .6 But seriously, nice driving. It was a blast following you in the last session. Video came out but it's crappy and tilted too low in the cabin so you see a lot of Mooty wing but not so much Mooty. Trying to get it uploaded today.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:38 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

I had transponder and solo dl, and times were identical.

Hoosiers were probably not the best choice for that track. Yes they are faster, but only with ideal conditions (morning). My times in all the afternoon sessions were much slower. Last session saturday the temps dropped slightly when a breeze picked up and i got a quick time. Really only got a couple fast sessions out of those tires and i was shocked how quickly they got trashed. After 7 hc they had no grip, and i often run these tires up to 20. I bet the nittos and trofeos gave more consistent times thru the day, and they certainly held up better.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:08 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by drl
I had transponder and solo dl, and times were identical.

Hoosiers were probably not the best choice for that track. Yes they are faster, but only with ideal conditions (morning). My times in all the afternoon sessions were much slower. Last session saturday the temps dropped slightly when a breeze picked up and i got a quick time. Really only got a couple fast sessions out of those tires and i was shocked how quickly they got trashed. After 7 hc they had no grip, and i often run these tires up to 20. I bet the nittos and trofeos gave more consistent times thru the day, and they certainly held up better.
Everyone whom I spoke to whom had soft compound tires got them chewed up. Mine lasted 3 sessions. This track EATS tires.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:22 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
Everyone whom I spoke to whom had soft compound tires got them chewed up. Mine lasted 3 sessions. This track EATS tires.
No Doubt. Surface is now as rough as I have even seen it. Been a lot of discussion and track management is aware that it needs to be sealed before we run there again.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:04 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Just thinking out loud here...but how about next year we do it again but at Buttonwillow? Great track, and the location will pull in a lot of folks from both norcal and socal. I loved the fernley track but it us very far for so many of us and the surface condition might scare some folks away.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:11 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by drl
Just thinking out loud here...but how about next year we do it again but at Buttonwillow? Great track, and the location will pull in a lot of folks from both norcal and socal. I loved the fernley track but it us very far for so many of us and the surface condition might scare some folks away.
If only we could get a Porsche day at laguna seca with no noise limit... and same Pete organized the event...that would be the perfect event.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:14 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Yes but that would be wildly expensive. BW is awesome track and cheap! Chuckwalla would be even better and cheaper...but norcal boys would not make the trip and lodging is 45 minutes away. No clue why they built a track way the fk out there.

Quick Reply: Trackrat High-Desert Invitational DE/TT Oct 26-28 Registration is Open.