Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Trackrat High-Desert Invitational DE/TT Oct 26-28 Registration is Open.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 01:13 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,886 Likes on 2,408 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Huge shout out to Savy for putting on the organizer's hat and providng us with a fantastic event. Just wish I could have been there. LOL
I second that, great event, technical trk

Lar, pls bring three sets of new rubber with u next time. I believe in spares.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:14 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Huge shout out to Savy for putting on the organizer's hat and providng us with a fantastic event. Just wish I could have been there. LOL
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Finally an upload

That is a bumpy roller coaster ride LOL, no wonder my 4.0 knows how to take the bumps at Sebring so well...
That's a lot of corners to learn in a couple of days, even more when everything looks the same desert camo beige..
no need to learn turns. I just jet going straight.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:15 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by aero997c2s
mooty- 08 looks amazing.. My dream RS right there.
thx
I like killer whale as well.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:18 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by chasen1211
Mike u would like this track, lots of corners you can drift on... Trust me
I think bn u and speed of light u got drifting covered.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:33 AM
chasen1211
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
I second that, great event, technical trk

Lar, pls bring three sets of new rubber with u next time. I believe in spares.
I third that!!! Great event! Great organization! Can't wait for the next one. Thanks a bunch Pete.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:07 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 217 Posts

Wish I was there but can't complain my partner in crime ie Chasen held his own : ). Wish I was there. Let me know Pete for next year I'm hoping to make it for next event!! I love that layout!!! Mike
Old 10-29-2012, 02:27 AM
racer152
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hi all.
I'm Pat. had the great privledge of working with Pete
on this event. A big thankyou for being such great &
well behaved drivers. Thank you for coming to my 2nd home
as I actually live 5 miles from the track. Hope to see you all
again real soon.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:00 AM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

Here is a vid from my first session this morning (Sunday). I set out to beat my best time from Saturday, and did! This track ate my Hoosiers alive, and getting out in the cool morning was the only hope of getting my fastest lap. This session was the tires 7th heat cycle, and as you will see they were already losing grip - a couple small slides and many many small corrections. Over the next two sessions I was 10 seconds slower and could barely keep the car on track Tires are DONE!

I planned to get down to business after the warm up lap, but got held up by some Mercedes doing a sight seeing tour (~6:55) So the fun starts with the third lap ~8:40, and laps 3-4 were my best of the weekend.

Very fun track, and very technical. It was a great weekend with a lot of awesome Rennlisters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icgHd...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by drl; 10-29-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:05 AM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

Link doesn't work...reloading...to be continued....

EDIT: OK - link fixed

Last edited by drl; 10-29-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:19 AM
chasen1211
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

try vimeo??
Old 10-29-2012, 10:38 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by drl
Here is a vid from my first session this morning (Sunday). I set out to beat my best time from Saturday, and did! This track ate my Hoosiers alive, and getting out in the cool morning was the only hope of getting my fastest lap. This session was the tires 7th heat cycle, and as you will see they were already losing grip - a couple small slides and many many small corrections. Over the next two sessions I was 10 seconds slower and could barely keep the car on track Tires are DONE!

I planned to get down to business after the warm up lap, but got held up by some Mercedes doing a sight seeing tour (~6:55) So the fun starts with the third lap ~8:40, and laps 3-4 were my best of the weekend.

Very fun track, and very technical. It was a great weekend with a lot of awesome Rennlisters.

derek is a great rabbit.
i was right behind him this session on 8HC NT01. got my 2nd best time of the week.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:15 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 785 Posts

Originally Posted by drl

Very technical track; Looks like you need to be patient!
Nice driving Derek! Did you tell the Mercedes driver he needs a bigger wing for more downforce?

Originally Posted by mooty
derek is a great rabbit.
i was right behind him this session on 8HC NT01. got my 2nd best time of the week.
So what was the best time? No data on video's? Who's in the platinum cup?
Old 10-29-2012, 11:55 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice meeting a lot of you .. wow what a technical track.
I would rate this track more technical then the ring.
When I drove the ring for my first lap, i knew what was coming up because of playstation and GrandTurismo. The game teaches you 95% of the track. This however I had no reference.
Blind turns everywhere. Hill climbs. Down hills. blinds consecutive turns, loose gravel, bumbs, horses, horse poo on the track. This track had just about every obstacle from making it a perfect condition track and that made it very challenging.

I just rolled out my 996t off the trailer with 91,800 miles on the odometer, slapped on my street tires , and to work we go. That is why i love Porsche's . Great track car, great car that i can use everyday.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:59 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Very technical track; Looks like you need to be patient!
Nice driving Derek! Did you tell the Mercedes driver he needs a bigger wing for more downforce?

So what was the best time? No data on video's? Who's in the platinum cup?
i think derek has 2:42's maybe lower. i got 2:43's.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:22 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After 12 hours of sleep I am able to start decompressing.

The bad: Friday morning was bitter cold 25f (clear air/high-desert), the track surface was brittle and for the first few sessions gravel sized pieces of the track were coming up (something I had never experienced in three years running this track) and peppering windshields and getting into wheels. Drivers with tight/non-existent caliper to wheel clearances suffered some wheel scratches and caliper paint chips. Two people chose to leave after the first session because of this and I refunded 100% of their registration fee.

The good: From Friday noon forward it warmed up, the weather was spectacular and the track ceased to release gravel. The 35 registrants had a safe and fun event and smiles were everywhere.

I had a problem Friday with internet connection but bought the repair parts Friday night and got the Race-Monitor real-time laptime feed running first thing Sat morning. I thought it was the coolest thing ever and many folks agreed.

The track workers said it was the most mutually-respectful group of drivers they ever saw. Better be after my drivers meeting Host-**** exhortations to play nice

Doug Neilson (DJN) was my 100% dependable wingman, playing the role of Chief Driving Instructor and Social Director. You are awesome my friend, I can't thank you enough for the support. Lar (Chromium24) and Joe (4porsh) contributed their time as well to right seat to help out, thank you guys!

Several of my local SCCA track friends also donated their time to right-seat and if you are reading this, thank you so much Bill, Chris, Rence, Julian, Ryan. Well done also to Pat and Paul for the awesome work on Grid, Safety and Control. Pat had the thankless task of track police but he loves the role and tied up the loose ends.

Event pics from Joe Salas of 4theriders.com photography:
http://4theriders.com/pics.php?loc=/.../10.26.12-RFR/
http://4theriders.com/pics.php?loc=/.../10.27.12-RFR/
http://4theriders.com/pics.php?loc=/.../10.28.12-RFR/

You'll see my shiny Stilo'ed head in the passenger seats of the SLS AMG Gull Wing and Lambo SV instructing newbies. I wholly respected them for exercising their $190k/$350k cars on track after I warned them they might suffer a rock chip or two. Didn't care, they were there to drive At the end of the day they were both worn out and smiling. Side note- The SV is a vicious, violent machine, it looks and feels like it wants to kill you. He opened it up a couple times and I was close to terrified

Thanks for the laps in your GT3 Chris, Doug and Lar! Got my hit of track-crack...lol.

I'm happy to have this behind me, a massive effort and time-sink, probably 200 hours of my time into organizing it and wound up thousands in the red. But it was a huge learning experience from which I will benefit and very rewarding to see all the happy faces. My next six months will be focusing on my own driving.

Quick Reply: Trackrat High-Desert Invitational DE/TT Oct 26-28 Registration is Open.