Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

lyin' sack of feta
Old 07-20-2012, 12:51 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
I doubt this has much to do with it 24Cr... If anything, the RS wheels are offset further outward yet same size as non RS, particularly in the rear so by my non engineer thinking, they should place even greater leverage on the attachment point...

Maybe RS owners follow instructions better?
Are you sure about that? I agree that the RS is a wide-body, which the non-RS is not, and the wheels have a different offset as a result. But take a look at this explanation of wheel offset:

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/...jsp?techid=101

Now consider the fact that the offset of the non-RS car's rear wheels is 63mm, while the RS car's rear wheel offset is only 48mm. 15mm of additional leverage is not a lot, but maybe that's just enough to explain the difference. It's possible that I am not accurately representing the offsets, or maybe they are actually negative offset which would make the RS the one with more leverage.

Again, I would appreciate anyone else with some technical chops to chime in and explain in more detail.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:41 PM
mdrums
Race Director

What I've noticed is on a regular Carrera S for example you can put on a 14mm spacer on the rear and the wheel will be offset right out the the edge of the fender. On a GT3 (same narrow body tub) an offset of 15mm outward will put the same width wheel out past the fender. A RS wheel will not work on a GT3 on the rear.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:09 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Are you sure about that? I agree that the RS is a wide-body, which the non-RS is not, and the wheels have a different offset as a result. But take a look at this explanation of wheel offset:

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/...jsp?techid=101

Now consider the fact that the offset of the non-RS car's rear wheels is 63mm, while the RS car's rear wheel offset is only 48mm. 15mm of additional leverage is not a lot, but maybe that's just enough to explain the difference. It's possible that I am not accurately representing the offsets, or maybe they are actually negative offset which would make the RS the one with more leverage.

Again, I would appreciate anyone else with some technical chops to chime in and explain in more detail.
I'm pretty sure this is the case!!! If you key the specs of the two wheels into an offset calculator, the GT3 wheel is actually inset 15mm relative to the RS wheel... ie less offset equals wheel sticks out further!

Give it a try here! http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp
Old 07-20-2012, 07:40 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think until you gain access to every instance of failure (which is not possible unless you have a mole at Porsche), you have no idea what your dataset really looks like. And therefore this is all just mental masturbation.

I am totally friendly towards the idea of rear wheels (of any CL car) being far more likely to fail simply due to the much greater loads imposed. But other than that, this speculation is not productive. No offense to anyone and all said unemotionally.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:35 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
I think until you gain access to every instance of failure (which is not possible unless you have a mole at Porsche), you have no idea what your dataset really looks like. And therefore this is all just mental masturbation.

I am totally friendly towards the idea of rear wheels (of any CL car) being far more likely to fail simply due to the much greater loads imposed. But other than that, this speculation is not productive. No offense to anyone and all said unemotionally.

I just want a formal apology for anti - Greek rhetoric. Bailouts accepted (No Amex allowed)
Old 07-20-2012, 11:20 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by The Greek
I just want a formal apology for anti - Greek rhetoric. Bailouts accepted (No Amex allowed)
I second that even though it wasn't directed at me, lol...
Old 07-20-2012, 11:26 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by The Greek
Not until I get a piece of Baklava!
Old 07-21-2012, 01:48 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy

I am totally friendly towards the idea of rear wheels (of any CL car) being far more likely to fail simply due to the much greater loads imposed. But other than that, this speculation is not productive.
Bro, I get the spirit of your message. But I think there's utility in raising awareness of these issues. If there's an analogy, this CL $hit taco is like a potentially life-threatening medical condition. Those who share the same gene pool are susceptible and should be made aware of the symptoms and risks.

I also think there's utility in documenting the inherent faults of these cars. Like the RMS and coolant pipe issues, these are totally relevant concerns that should've been addressed by Porsche in the first place. PAG should know better than "playing deaf" to problems of this magnitude. If they won't do the right thing, our only recourse is to start protecting ourselves.

The more we document these issues, the more we empower individual owners come that moment of confrontation, whether on commercial or legal grounds.

Quick Reply: CL Failures - Any Known RS Failures?