market comparo: RS vs. Cup?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 07:55 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,783 Likes on 2,371 Posts

Originally Posted by K964
Love it!!! The 6/7 Cups will be the new weapon of choice for Lemons and Chumpcar!!! I can't wait!!!
lmao
hey enjoy ur 993 and it's ur fault now I added holt
Motorsport to my book mkt. I can see my work our increase by an hour per day to surf holt and sould my wallet suffer, I will blame u.

the diamond blue 88 and white 89 are NICE. I like
Old 07-15-2012, 08:09 PM
plima
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW, I think the Cup car and RS maintenance costs will be nearly identical IF DRIVEN THE SAME WAY. What scares people about Cup maintenance frequency and cost is the assumption by PMNA that all the hours on the drivetrain are at full race load (i.e. no "street miles") If you drove an RS that way, it should be maintained that way as well.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:12 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
lmao
hey enjoy ur 993 and it's ur fault now I added holt
Motorsport to my book mkt. I can see my work our increase by an hour per day to surf holt and sould my wallet suffer, I will blame u.

the diamond blue 88 and white 89 are NICE. I like
U are welcome!!! I love the white '89 as well but wanted to go just a bit more modern. BTW, I know of a white 6-3 u might be interested in---check your email!!!

Mike
Old 07-15-2012, 10:26 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,888 Likes on 973 Posts

Oh boy, here we go again....

Don't expect any difference in maintenance costs for a 996 GT3 and 996 Cup driven the same way. If anything, in terms of pure track use a 996 Cup will be less costly to maintain than a 996 GT3. The only difference in terms of motor is the Cup car does away variocam - otherwise you're maintaining the same lump.

996 Cups have bottomed out in the $50k-$70k range depending on year and condition.

Early 997 Cups are well below $100k and will likely bottom somewhere just north of 996 Cups. Tranny issues are overblown for an experienced driver using a blipper. All depends on whether the extra 2sec/lap on average track that the sequential affords over a 996 Cup matters to you.

FWIW, 964 Cups have been going up in price.

BL, you can't compare driving a street car to driving a Cup car unless the street car is full stripper converted to track duty. One ride in a Cup car will make that very apparent.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:25 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wasn't referring to 996 GT3, but the regular Carrera.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:27 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by plima
BTW, I think the Cup car and RS maintenance costs will be nearly identical IF DRIVEN THE SAME WAY. What scares people about Cup maintenance frequency and cost is the assumption by PMNA that all the hours on the drivetrain are at full race load (i.e. no "street miles") If you drove an RS that way, it should be maintained that way as well.
it's kind of like that and kind of not like that.
it's MUCH MUCH MUCH more complex than that.
it's like explaining sex. you know. until you do it, you have no idea what it really is. and there are a whole lot of BS going on with this discourse about cup vs RS vs this or that.

i am not saying which is better or which cost more to run or if you are right or wrong. it really is like the sex analogy. you have to buy one and do it. then the light will go on.. some may even find that women isn't it, then they try men, apes, dogs you know.... i am not kidding, though it may sound funny

things to think about.
car cost (both rs and cup)
maintenance cost
racing venues vs DE cup
LOGISTICS
support
how quickly can you buy it and how quickly can you sell it or does that matter to you.
COMMITMENT.

WE fling is great, oops. she's now prego.... hum.... what next?

nizer is right on....
Old 07-16-2012, 01:37 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

.. some may even find that women isn't it, then they try men, apes, dogs you know.... i am not kidding, though it may sound funny
things to think about.
ROFL! I'm losing track of these analogies... which car is the ape and which the dog? Are you discriminating against certain animals?

Last edited by CRex; 07-16-2012 at 02:36 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:20 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by CRex
ROFL! I'm losing track of these analogies... which car is the ape and which the dog? Are you discriminating against certain animals?
i dont know...
i havent had cardinal knowledge with animals...
i'll brief you when i get that desperate....
mean while i just play with cars.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:11 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont know...
i havent had cardinal knowledge with animals...
first thought you'd mispoke.....carnal...for cardinal....and then it punned....

wicked.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:17 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,888 Likes on 973 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
I wasn't referring to 996 GT3, but the regular Carrera.
Then my points on maintenance costs are even more valid. Stock 996 Carrera motor will not hold up to track use as well as a Mezger lump.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:04 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Then my points on maintenance costs are even more valid. Stock 996 Carrera motor will not hold up to track use as well as a Mezger lump.
True to some degree but m96 is way cheaper and with about of $10k basic rebuild with better rods/bolts/accusump people beat the hell of spec 996 cars with no remorses. I look at it now from very simple angle - for DE car does not matter, more power and more grip not going to make anybody a better driver.
As it comes to racing it all goes straight into money. You look at class you want to be in, look at top cars in that class and then look into your wallet.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:09 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Frankly, I see guys all the time base 996's running times similar to 996 Cups (a tad faster than DE cup) far less running costs, and far less replacement costs.
To run competitive grip in corners any 996/997 should get full cup car suspension pretty much, hubs, uprights, arms. stock geometry in 996/997 base does not allow to drop it way low how cup car sits.
As soon as you got cup car suspension you get all same maintenance.
Costs are all same, only level of ignorance differs.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:45 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
From what I've seen they hold up just fine, and the price delta for rebuild/repleace is huge on the engine let alone the transmission. All the carrera needs is ims done and its good to go.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:19 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

M96 & M97 hold up great for track duty, even with slicks if you are diligent about services and oil quality and fill levels.

But the replacement costs of these engines is increasing every month it seems. Now to buy a crate motor the cost is more than $15-18k and they will not last as long as a dry sump motor for track duty with grippy tires.

a street GT3 and Cup car shares 90%+ of the same parts, the main differences are in axles, engine and trans.

The budget for a 997 Cup driver in DE and a 997 Cup driver in club racing is night and day and cant be compared. The tire budget for a full season racer will be more than the yearly budget/cost of a DE driver. Then triple that cost for a pro 997 Cup driver gping for a championship from a club level.

The faster you go, the faster **** wares out.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:37 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 168 Posts

Regarding the initial question (values in 5 years) Here are my thoughts: Both will be still depreciating assets, weapons grade collector cars at best unless the cup car has significant (winning) race provenence. Porsche has built way too many of both of them for their values to approach what 1960's and 1970's racers are bringing from collectors. Maybe in 50 years that will change as their numbers will be diminished. For the forseeable future the value of both cars will be based on what you can do with them. In the longer term say 10-15 years, the cup car will always have a place in vintage racing as it is a factory built race car. Porsche still supports many older race cars and it will probably make parts as long as it is profitable due to the (relatively) large number of cups built.The street RS will always be a good DE car and hold its value as long as it isn't too modified and will always be welcome at club events and concours. Pushing the timeframe to 25 years out, the problem will be getting gas and at $25 per gallon that will limit how these cars are used. Perhaps there will be retrofit kits to add modern propulsion systems like fuel cells to "classic" cars like these.

Quick Reply: market comparo: RS vs. Cup?