2010 GT3 options

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 04:41 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 315 Posts
Default 2010 GT3 options

Hello,

I've been looking at both 2008 GT3 RS and 2010 GT3 cars, hopefully purchasing soon. I've posted before, asking for tips on buying the car out of state, private/dealer etc.

gt3rsregistry.com has a lot of info on car options, but looking at the 2010 cars I'm having a hard time comparing options-porsche.com has a configurator(it was not available online due to website maintenance last time I checked, and I think they only have it for the current 4.0 car)

So looking at cars listed for sale, some of the options I like (and of course affect the price in comparing)are dynamic engine mounts, PCCB, extended navigation, etc
I've seen some posts where rennlisters were able to see the complete list of options if the VIN is available-will dealers have this list if I ask for it when shopping for a car?

Examples of some 2010 cars I've looked at:

Black, existing warranty, not sure how long:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...25763111&Log=0

Red, already has the extended warranty for 6 years/100,000 miles

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...24291661&Log=0

Another red one, has dynamic engine mounts(I believe this car was previously for sale on rennlist), CPO 'til 2016:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...22453441&Log=0

White, nice options, Dynamic engine mounts, existing warranty goes 'til december 2013, then I can CPO to extend it:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...83380180&Log=0

Thanks for your input
JB
Old 07-14-2012, 08:37 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts

You know you can retrofit the DEM, so don't let the stop you from getting a car that has everything else you want.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...rofit-yes.html
Old 07-14-2012, 08:50 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

DEM a must.

PCCB too expensive to replace, and other than weight no performance benefit.
Must be more careful when changing wheels.

Nav. I have it. It's a total waste, but not as annoying as the nav in my new bmw 550i
Old 07-14-2012, 09:38 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JB911
Hello,

I've been looking at both 2008 GT3 RS and 2010 GT3 cars, hopefully purchasing soon. I've posted before, asking for tips on buying the car out of state, private/dealer etc.

gt3rsregistry.com has a lot of info on car options, but looking at the 2010 cars I'm having a hard time comparing options-porsche.com has a configurator(it was not available online due to website maintenance last time I checked, and I think they only have it for the current 4.0 car)

So looking at cars listed for sale, some of the options I like (and of course affect the price in comparing)are dynamic engine mounts, PCCB, extended navigation, etc
I've seen some posts where rennlisters were able to see the complete list of options if the VIN is available-will dealers have this list if I ask for it when shopping for a car?

Examples of some 2010 cars I've looked at:

Black, existing warranty, not sure how long:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...25763111&Log=0

Red, already has the extended warranty for 6 years/100,000 miles

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...24291661&Log=0

Another red one, has dynamic engine mounts(I believe this car was previously for sale on rennlist), CPO 'til 2016:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...22453441&Log=0

White, nice options, Dynamic engine mounts, existing warranty goes 'til december 2013, then I can CPO to extend it:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...83380180&Log=0

Thanks for your input
JB
The last car is mine. Any questions please ask, PM or otherwise.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:44 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by LehmanZ06
DEM a must.
Not really, just semi sold mount the engine

I have been thinking of removing mine
Old 07-15-2012, 01:31 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

^ concur
once you figire out how to fool the computer that you no longer have DEM, let us know.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:00 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 990 Likes on 369 Posts

If the DEM's can be programmed to turn on in retrofit cars can't you just reverse the coding to turn off? Have to imagine the guys at Suncoast Motorsports could provide the codes

Back on topic, everyone told me when I was looking for my '10 that DEM was a MUST have. The major tuner shops all said no way, go semisolid if the car doesn't have them vs retrofitting. I love my car just fine without 'em. For me, if I had to do it all over:

Primarily track: sport buckets
Primary street: nav, sound pkg, ipod, axel lift

All else is not necessary or can be added after. My $02.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:40 AM
MarkG123
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

DEM..... another Porsche "must have" option for those who think that something else will give them better lap times. Marketing like the golf industry, a new set of clubs will take 10 strokes out of your game. I have heard DEM is a "must option" from people who are in real need of lessons. The "I drive flat out" crowd.

Last edited by MarkG123; 07-15-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:01 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
Not really, just semi sold mount the engine

I have been thinking of removing mine
Originally Posted by mooty
^ concur
once you figire out how to fool the computer that you no longer have DEM, let us know.
Exactly. I have DEM, use the car almost exclusively on the track, but probably won't tell the difference if someone unplugged my DEM in a blind test.

Incidentally, those who'd swear they can tell a difference having DEMs in their cars and whom I really know, aren't the ones whom I really respect when it comes to knowing their cars and pushing them to their limit.

No offense to the other posted who thought this is a must--for me it's something nice but certainly not something I can't live without. My backside's too numb to tell the difference 80% of the time.

Go solid mounts if you intend to track the heck out of this car. One fewer point of failure if you think about it. Some owners have already started reporting problems with their DEMs if you search around.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:06 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MarkG123
DEM..... another Porsche "must have" option for those who think that something else will give them better lap times. Marketing like the golf industry, a new set of clubs will take 10 strokes out of your game. I have heard DEM is a "must option" from people who are in real need of lessons. The "I drive flat out" crowd.
LMAO. Flat out! A year ago when I purchased my car, I asked the "must have" crowd to provide any proof or lap times showing them as faster. I got crickets. Still happy to be proven wrong.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:18 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,864 Likes on 964 Posts

Just because you can't feel it doesn't mean it won't be faster. Trakar added dive planes and couldn't feel the difference but lap times clearly showed they worked.

If your bias is towards track use then controlling the mass out back - especially in transitions - matters, whether via DEM or semi-solid mounts.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:24 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have PDEM and I can really tell a difference under 3 situations: shifting over payment transitions, shifting in corners and going over bumps. In both shifting cases, the rear end stays perfectly inline. When shifting in corners, which I don't do often, the transmission feels different without them. I usually have problem shifting particularly from 2nd to 3rd while cornering hard like the transmission is binding. With PDEM it is dead smooth. Going over bumps you will notice an extra bit of softness.

PDEM is not an easy retrofit as it is not just a couple of mounts. You will have to rewire the car for the new harnesses and have the ECU reprogrammed to support it. PDEM are active mounts, not just 2 modes, that work similar to magnetic shocks continuously adjusting. If you are looking at a car without them, I would advise buying an 07-08 instead.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:31 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
PDEM is not an easy retrofit as it is not just a couple of mounts. You will have to rewire the car for the new harnesses and have the ECU reprogrammed to support it. PDEM are active mounts, not just 2 modes, that work similar to magnetic shocks continuously adjusting. If you are looking at a car without them, I would advise buying an 07-08 instead.
With the exception of early '10 cars, all 10-11 GT3's are pre-wired for PDEM's already. There is a pair of pigtails sitting above both "dumb" mounts in my engine bay. For a car that is not pre-wired, you are correct. It would be a huge undertaking; one I wouldn't even consider. For a car that is (most), the retrofit consists of putting in the two mounts and some PIWIS coding to enable them. The programming, as I understand it, is already there.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:18 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,602 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
I have PDEM and I can really tell a difference under 3 situations: shifting over payment transitions, shifting in corners and going over bumps. In both shifting cases, the rear end stays perfectly inline. When shifting in corners, which I don't do often, the transmission feels different without them. I usually have problem shifting particularly from 2nd to 3rd while cornering hard like the transmission is binding. With PDEM it is dead smooth. Going over bumps you will notice an extra bit of softness.
+1

+1
Old 07-17-2012, 03:19 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,602 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Just because you can't feel it doesn't mean it won't be faster. Trakar added dive planes and couldn't feel the difference but lap times clearly showed they worked.

If your bias is towards track use then controlling the mass out back - especially in transitions - matters, whether via DEM or semi-solid mounts.
+1

the advantage of PDEM over traditional mounts is that the PDEM is stiff only when needed, and not all the time ... stating the obvious.

Quick Reply: 2010 GT3 options