Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

My Video - GT3 SQS Sequential Shifter, 360 Ferrari Challenge & Evo - Sebring 7.7.12

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 11:19 PM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Boosten -pm me, I have one sitting in my shop. it fits 997 gt3. I am in a 996 cup now and decided not to use it. I bought it new direct from sqs. Pretty cool device.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:09 AM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I take it you still have to use the clutch correct, this is not a dog box with no lift upshifts?

What does an install cost or in hours?
Old 07-18-2012, 01:53 AM
Boostin
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hughp3
Boosten -pm me, I have one sitting in my shop. it fits 997 gt3. I am in a 996 cup now and decided not to use it. I bought it new direct from sqs. Pretty cool device.
PM'd you.

Originally Posted by mobonic
I take it you still have to use the clutch correct, this is not a dog box with no lift upshifts?

What does an install cost or in hours?
That is correct...still have to clutch on upshifts. Check out sequentialshifters.com if you haven't already for more info. They quote 6 hour install for qualified tech.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:52 PM
mobonic
Drifting

How do these hold up with track and club racing use?

I heard from another person that they do not hold up in racing, but want to hear first hand.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:18 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mobonic
How do these hold up with track and club racing use?

I heard from another person that they do not hold up in racing, but want to hear first hand.
Shahin- Tranny rebuilds become an annual event. Clutch must be used exactly as before on up/down shifts. No free lunch.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:48 PM
RCC GT3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup call Gavin or Stephen. Here is there website http://www.sequentialshifters.com Not sure if they fit a cayman. I love the shifter. Aside from being faster, you will never make the 5th-2nd shift like I did. Also, he always has used ones around or can get one. They cost about half as much and are as good as a new one. Good luck.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll be checking it out as I get settled in here.

I am new on this forum, why can I not "quote" a message in my reply. I see the box but am unable to select it
Old 08-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Shahin- Tranny rebuilds become an annual event. Clutch must be used exactly as before on up/down shifts. No free lunch.
I have owned my shifter for almost 2 years in two different cars and I have never had an issue with the trany. I know several people who have this product for more than 4 years with no issues whatsoever. Is it harder on the gears? Yes. But so long as your down shifts are on the money you should not have any issues. I will tell you that if you use it on the street as well it may be a bit much. I had it in my 11RS that I also drove on the street and constantly have to work thru the gears is pain and more wear.

Bottom line is 7k is bit much for the shifter, 3-4k i think its worth it. A gt3 motor is 50k and non-gt3 is about 15k. Its insurance as far as I'm concerned.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:35 PM
mobonic
Drifting

How many races do you have with the SQS in your car?
How long are the races?
Whens the last time you had your gearbox refreshed?

I have heard that these SQS shifters EAT through syncro's and it makes sense, the harder you shift through gears, the faster they wear.

Now this shifter in a dog box sounds like a good idea, and you get rid of the syncro issue.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:43 PM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

No races so far. First race will be winterfest. In my RS I did about 15 track days with it and 5 in 996 GT3. While I agree its not as hard as true racing I will tell you a beat the living **** out of the car at the track. I have not had the need to refresh my gear box as of yet. The SQS is harder on the synchros but I would not say its eats through them. Shift properly and I'm told there should not be an issue. Ultimately, I'm sure I'll need to deal with it but certainly not every year. I'll update as soon as I get racing.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:46 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Thanks Big Al, keep me posted and feel free to PM me if you like.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:13 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

I think is easier cheaper and more rewarding, to know how to drive/shift.
Don't see the point as Im yet to see one working properly for a decent period of time.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:25 PM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

I hear you. But with all due respect I don't believe it has anything to do with knowing how to down shift. I'm sure the pro drivers are not immune from a 5th to 2nd shift. Sequential is the future of GT racing.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:44 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Originally Posted by Big Al HURT123
I hear you. But with all due respect I don't believe it has anything to do with knowing how to down shift. I'm sure the pro drivers are not immune from a 5th to 2nd shift. Sequential is the future of GT racing.
I think it can happen, is a matter of being cautious, and not desperate while driving.
Sequential is the future for sure, but like you said, Sequential. BMW did a sequential I wanna be back in 1997. Basically the same approach.
I'm not really a fan, it has the negative side of the seq. without the positive which is a super fast and clutchless up shift.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:53 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
Originally Posted by Big Al HURT123
I think it can happen, is a matter of being cautious, and not desperate while driving.
Sequential is the future for sure, but like you said, Sequential. BMW did a sequential I wanna be back in 1997. Basically the same approach.
I'm not really a fan, it has the negative side of the seq. without the positive which is a super fast and clutchless up shift.
The sqs is not a sequential

It converts the h pattern, synchromesh box to a lever action

I believe a true sequential is different, with dog gears?
Old 08-03-2012, 11:16 AM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Izzone
The sqs is not a sequential

It converts the h pattern, synchromesh box to a lever action

I believe a true sequential is different, with dog gears?
You are correct not a true sequential; I also have to use the clutch for every gear change. For me it was more of an insurance policy than anything else. Not sure if I'm any quicker aroud the track but on my traqmate the shifts appear about 50% shorter. Gaurd has developed a true sequential similar to the 997 Cup that they ran in the 24h at Daytona...its 35k. Too much for me so I went with the poser trick mod instead.

Quick Reply: My Video - GT3 SQS Sequential Shifter, 360 Ferrari Challenge & Evo - Sebring 7.7.12