Saddest RS photo

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 07:24 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Personally I would buy both as salvage title and use for track ******. So many people are terrified of wrecked cars, but both of those could be fixed and made quite fast.
I know you speak from hands-on-the-wrench experience. For most, this cavalier "I'd fix it" is foolish nonsense. But I agree that a battered and bruised 997 GT3 can be restored to perfect geometry (Gods willing) and we can only hope the occupants escaped with similarly good prospects.

As for talk of "swap a tub" that's the option for race teams and the GT3 Cup or a half million dollar Carrera GT (when the factory had a tub to sell, but no more.) As far as I know, for a street car, the VIN dies with the chassis to which it is riveted. There's no facility to "re-tub" a 997 street car and call it good in the same way one can take a new tub and rebuild a factory race car.

As for the cause of the accident it should be illegal and banned worldwide with severe penalties for violators. Not drink-driving ... cheap Chevrolet econo-boxes.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:24 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,312 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I know you speak from hands-on-the-wrench experience. For most, this cavalier "I'd fix it" is foolish nonsense. But I agree that a battered and bruised 997 GT3 can be restored to perfect geometry (Gods willing) and we can only hope the occupants escaped with similarly good prospects.

As for talk of "swap a tub" that's the option for race teams and the GT3 Cup or a half million dollar Carrera GT (when the factory had a tub to sell, but no more.) As far as I know, for a street car, the VIN dies with the chassis to which it is riveted. There's no facility to "re-tub" a 997 street car and call it good in the same way one can take a new tub and rebuild a factory race car.

As for the cause of the accident it should be illegal and banned worldwide with severe penalties for violators. Not drink-driving ... cheap Chevrolet econo-boxes.
Last I heard, you can still buy bodies in white in Europe. Unless you are a certain manufacturer in a bizarre on-again/off-again relationship, that is. Over here, I believe you are correct: race car retubs, only.

Would be curious to hear from our European friends if anything has changed?
Old 07-12-2012, 06:35 PM
TTurbine
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Last year my brother totaled his 3.8 RS , 3rd Party insurance, Tub was damaged, dealer said he can source it from Porsche , Cost to fix the car was close MSRP.. He stripped of the engine/tran for his own use and sold it for good money
Old 07-12-2012, 07:38 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TTurbine
Last year my brother totaled his 3.8 RS , 3rd Party insurance, Tub was damaged, dealer said he can source it from Porsche , Cost to fix the car was close MSRP.. He stripped of the engine/tran for his own use and sold it for good money
It would be great to see the quote from the dealer including the part number for the body-in-white shell. I wonder how they handle the VIN reassignment or if they leave it as an exercise for the DMV to create one of those "mystery" cars that never seem to get back into the system. I'm sure your brother did well to buy back the remains and part it out -- still a lot of work, but a fun project
Old 07-13-2012, 04:15 PM
TTurbine
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It would be great to see the quote from the dealer including the part number for the body-in-white shell. I wonder how they handle the VIN reassignment or if they leave it as an exercise for the DMV to create one of those "mystery" cars that never seem to get back into the system. I'm sure your brother did well to buy back the remains and part it out -- still a lot of work, but a fun project
Wish i had the invoices so that i could share them , The repair bills was close to 110k unfortunatly the sales manager who has very close connections with Stuggart has also left the company and it would be difficult to dig out part numbers since the rest are clueless.

The sales manager also repaired a totaled Carrera GT here , Tub was not damaged for what i know but it costed 300k The owner who is the dealer also told me mechanics from Stuggart flown in with laser devices to check if the car is repairable or not , once they indicated it can be done they repaired the car and it looks like brand new now
Old 10-22-2012, 04:11 PM
sonny1
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did this long time ago on a 964,ordered a body in white from Porsche,(it comes vinless) with local DMV permission I re-stamped the VIN, and vuala brand new car.
Sonny1.

Last edited by sonny1; 10-22-2012 at 09:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Saddest RS photo