Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Slow 4.0 at RFR This Weekend

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 10:20 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Slow 4.0 at RFR This Weekend

After watching Jesse's fire-breathing lap of Lagana Seca, my videos look to be of a rolling tumbleweed in a light breeze. Still fun !

Old 07-02-2012, 10:24 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Hey Pete, doesn't matter your having fun on the track last weekend in a real aero beetle....I was not! LOL
Old 07-02-2012, 10:51 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice! It's the Nevada Nurburgring. Do they serve Spaten?
Old 07-02-2012, 11:03 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha love the thread title!
Old 07-02-2012, 11:33 PM
savyboy
Drifting

PS- I was able to test a new pad compound Pagid is developing for ceramic brakes. Don't know what they will call it, but I call it a "P45" as it has the good qualities of both P40 and P50. Thought it was mighty fine as it was less grabby than a P40 on initial bite but without the suicidal qualities of the P50 when cold. Also doesn't abrade the rotors like a P50. Supposed to last longer as well, but need more testing to form an opinion on that.

Good modulation qualities, but quicker to release on trailbrake so have to recalibrate the wetware in that aspect. It is a great track pad. I know nothing about their marketing plan for it but hopefully it comes out in OE PCCB fitment ASAP.

The new full Movit brake system was truly heroic, rock hard pedal with same pedal feel, bite and modulation at beginning, middle and end of a session. You can see my poor friend Rence's head in the video, just violent braking ability. I'm surely costing myself time because of overbraking.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:40 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by mdrums
Hey Pete, doesn't matter your having fun on the track last weekend in a real aero beetle....I was not! LOL
It's not like you are driving a Pinto Mike

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Nice! It's the Nevada Nurburgring. Do they serve Spaten?
Lol! You make the trip over and the Spaten is on me pal!

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
haha love the thread title!
Seemed appropriate
Old 07-03-2012, 04:47 AM
AiRick
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 13 Posts

Pete here is my first attempt at the camera. You may not recognize the track as I was going a lot slower then you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4NfF...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-03-2012, 10:31 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by AiRick
Pete here is my first attempt at the camera. You may not recognize the track as I was going a lot slower then you.
Eric- GoPro for the win eh? Video turned out great! And your line looks great You nailed 9-11 and that is a tough section for folks to do well. Got to touch the tire to the berms at 13 and 15A though

More fun again soon!
Old 07-03-2012, 11:47 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Thought it was mighty fine as it was less grabby than a P40 on initial bite
Interesting comment as I thought you were going to say the opposite - i.e. there was more initial bite. It is clearly personal preference but the 2 qualities that I personally think a P45 should have, versus existing P40 and P50 alternatives is:
1) more initial bite than the P40 (more like the P50)
2) last longer than the P40 under track conditions (more like the P50)

Did you write this correctly? and if so, can you explain why they are designing it this way and why you prefer it this way? are you looking for an enduro type pad?
Old 07-03-2012, 01:00 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
Interesting comment as I thought you were going to say the opposite - i.e. there was more initial bite. It is clearly personal preference but the 2 qualities that I personally think a P45 should have, versus existing P40 and P50 alternatives is:
1) more initial bite than the P40 (more like the P50)
2) last longer than the P40 under track conditions (more like the P50)

Did you write this correctly? and if so, can you explain why they are designing it this way and why you prefer it this way? are you looking for an enduro type pad?
Sure-agreed this is personal preference

To me the OE PCCB P40 has a strong initial bite and keeps it. Sticky almost. And I can get them to fade, get some pedal softening, if I really hammer the brakes. We all know they are prone to badly cracking the friction material with track use. As I recall I got approx 5 track days out of a set if I flipped them midway to even the wear.

P50 Greens I considered to be suicidal for street use, no bite at all when cold. Under track use one had to be hyper aware for them to come up to temp over several laps, otherwise you would find yourself overshooting your brake zones. Also they were much more abrasive to the PCCB rotors. That is my recollection, I recall you have a different opinion/better luck with them?

Myself and some track pals had always wished for another option which combined the good attributes and shed the bad ones. Pagid apparently felt the same because this is what this new ceramic rotor specific compound seems to offer. Pagid supplied a f/r set to MovIt and they passed them along to me to get an opinion. Bullet points:
  • Less grabby, less initial bite than P40, but much better than P50.
  • Consistent bite/modulation across the session, no need to warm them for 2 laps.
  • No fade at all (of course).
  • Supposed to be longer wearing, only two days on them, but seem to be holding up well.
  • P50 have been known to be really noisy, P45 makes no noise
  • Same bite wet/dry. Tested from the car wash :-)

Using P40 compound I found myself locking the fronts on initial application (on track). It was challenging to execute that initial pedal spike to get 95% braking and not have the tires "bark". Much easier to control with the new pads. More logarithmic progression to 95% perhaps is a way to describe it?

Tangential comment, brake related- my rear end was solid as a rock this weekend under both straight line threshold braking and under a couple white knuckle trail-braking corner entries. Very controllable and very confidence inspiring. I think the MovIt 380mm rears contribute 80% of this and the Guard LSD the other 20% because last event with just the MovIt's it was very solid as well. T2 at RFR is a 125mph entry requiring only enough brake (avoid overslowing) to get the car turned approx 30 degrees and then requiring trailbraking approx 75 feet with steering input to the apex. It was a real thrill to hang the back end out a bit under braking the whole time.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:53 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,670 Likes on 775 Posts

I love the wing shot! from the top of the car it is much harder to get a sense of the track. That track looks fun!
Old 07-03-2012, 04:21 PM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 45 Posts

Great video quality and track! Thanks for sharing.

Quick Reply: Slow 4.0 at RFR This Weekend