Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Cancelled EasyCare today - Lesson learned

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 08:32 AM
mikemdd
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
The cost of that rim is nothing special, especially when sourcing parts from a Porsche Dealership. Should not have been surprised when they said $3500 when dealing with a supposed insurance claim.

When it came to the part the "Service Writer" just simply wrote in $3500 because he figured they would pay it.

The crap that some of these buttholes do at the dealerships really give the industry a real bad name.
You hit the nail on the head....that is exactly what happened.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:37 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How did the tread depth compare on the other 3 wheels? I agree with others that "techincally" the warranty company can nitpik the details. But if the other tires had plenty of tread, how can the insurance company presume one tire would be drastically different. Any evidence of the condition of the tires when you purchased the vehicle? Were they new? Since the purchase was only a year ago, how many miles been put on the car? I guess I'm looking for ways to argue that the "missing" tire was otherwise the same as the remaining 3 on the car.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:45 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

id go find a used tire like the one you had and show them..... tell em you found it!
Old 06-29-2012, 09:16 AM
mikemdd
Racer

Originally Posted by aj986s
How did the tread depth compare on the other 3 wheels? I agree with others that "techincally" the warranty company can nitpik the details. But if the other tires had plenty of tread, how can the insurance company presume one tire would be drastically different. Any evidence of the condition of the tires when you purchased the vehicle? Were they new? Since the purchase was only a year ago, how many miles been put on the car? I guess I'm looking for ways to argue that the "missing" tire was otherwise the same as the remaining 3 on the car.
PPI done by the dealership when I bought it

Total 8,000 miles on the car now

Approx. 1700 miles driven since the policy was purchased

They did not ask, but I showed them the other 3 wheels, along with the window sticker showing that the wheels were special order wheels when the car was new.

Anyway, it's done, I've calmed down and looking forward to driving to work today. I love this car and am very fortunate to have the resources to do whatever needs to be done, if necessary, in the future.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:07 AM
BerryS
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike, sorry to hijack the thread but would you perhaps be interested in set of cobalt blue wheels?

https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...ml#post7451452

$3500 for all 4 wheels rather than just 1.

BerryS
Old 06-29-2012, 02:28 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,632 Likes on 2,315 Posts

take the car, hit the same pothole a few times, have them pay all 4 wheels.

i mean it seriously.

thread depth has nothing to do with hitting pot hole and bending wheels.

and what about low air pressure? what if you ran over pot hole with zero pressure and desgroy all four wheel. what is the evidence of proof?
Old 06-29-2012, 03:04 PM
mikemdd
Racer

Separate to this general discussion, I am learning a lot about painted wheels. On my window sticker, the wheels are listed under Options as follows:

“Wheels painted in Dev. Color”

I called Suncoast (who was extremely helpful) and they looked up my VIN number. It said the wheels were “silver”, noting the painted option. Apparently, at least in this year of GT3, all wheels start life as silver and are painted whatever color you want as a one off option. In other words, you cannot order a black, glossy wheel off the shelf…it has to be painted. RS’s, on the other hand, can actually be ordered off the shelf as either orange or black (different offset from GT3’s). They saw the same 3 wheels in Atlanta that the dealer here referenced, and confirmed they were silver. Apparently, the dealer was quoting me the cost of a silver wheel and adding in stupid money for painting it black to match my other wheels. Suncoast quoted me an excellent price (albeit still a lot) that is a fraction of the dealer quote. Even with painting, it would be a LOT less than the dealer was telling me. In any case, I still think I will try to see if a good wheel repair shop can repair the bulge in the middle of the rim sufficient for normal road use.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:33 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,898 Likes on 1,717 Posts

Originally Posted by aj986s
THIS!

Originally Posted by mooty
take the car, hit the same pothole a few times, have them pay all 4 wheels.

i mean it seriously.

thread depth has nothing to do with hitting pot hole and bending wheels.

and what about low air pressure? what if you ran over pot hole with zero pressure and desgroy all four wheel. what is the evidence of proof?
AND THEN THIS!

DO IT!

Reimbursement can still happen.

Quick Reply: Cancelled EasyCare today - Lesson learned