Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

UHaul car trailer with a gt3 - any experience?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 04:15 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

Lol. Doesn't matter what trailer. Had one before(low profile) and very easy to load but sold it because ........ Hate it hate it hate it!!! mike
Old 07-01-2012, 01:56 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Paul, if the issue is carrying the wheels around, I'm sure that we could figure it out. Then you could just drive to the events on your street tires.

I will do Mosport and Tremblant for sure, and then back to Toronto, so let me know if any of this could work. Pretty sure that Trakcar could also fit an extra set of wheels in his rig.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:03 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Francois

Thanks for the offer - if you have the space to carry them up that would be fantastic.
The wheels will be at GTek Auto (owner Jack) on Cranfield Road of Bermondsey (DVP and Eglinton).

Send my an email - mail@pauloneil.com (cell#416.294.4973)

Appreciate the offer.

Paul
Old 07-03-2012, 01:22 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

E-mail sent.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:08 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I have loaded every nook and cranny with tires now, but we should be depleting inventory fast.
Between Clarke trailer and my trailer, I am sure we can take a binch of stuff for you.

If you can get it back from Tremblant we'll take it with us.
Francois will have access to the trailers at Mosport but also until we leave the 19th from Toronto
Old 10-07-2013, 04:22 AM
Damage
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 54 Posts

So I'm about to make a move from norcal to socal and found this thread since i"m also thinking of renting a uhaul truck with the trailer. I looked at instructions on uhaul's website along with the youtube video. My only question is how come you guys aren't backing the car onto the trailer? U haul says you want the heavy end of the car towards the front to prevent the trailer from whipping around.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:29 AM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For anyone loading a GT3, clearing the front is a beatch. Remove the front lip spoiler and drive the rear of the tow vehicle onto ramps. These will both buy you some additional clearance, but even then you'll still probably need wood to extend the ramps.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:36 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

I used long 4x4s under the ramps and 6x2 boards under the front wheels to clear the trailer lip. The front lift makes the job easier, but you should have someone guide you on. The trailer is pretty narrow - a NB 997 barely fits. An RS will not fit properly due to the wider rear track.

You don't want to load *** first, because of tongue weight concerns. The center of gravity of our cars is directly over the rear axle when loaded nose in.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:18 PM
Protocav
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I was at uhaul this weekend and I went over and inspected one of these trailers. I'm not sure if they are all the same, but I noticed that the stops on the front of the trailer which are intended for the front wheels to rest against are removable. There would still be a stop remaining, but you can take off the tall section of stop with two bolts and then just put it back on when you return the trailer. This should allow the car to be loaded with the front lip intact. I'm going to do this in a month, so I'll report back.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:46 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by Damage
So I'm about to make a move from norcal to socal and found this thread since i"m also thinking of renting a uhaul truck ....
How about this... I need to go 5o the Bay Area for work next week. Ill drive it south for you. Although a few diversions along 101 into the foothills may happen. I'll be gentle I promise! :-)
Old 10-07-2013, 10:11 PM
MirageJHU
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Protocav
I was at uhaul this weekend and I went over and inspected one of these trailers. I'm not sure if they are all the same, but I noticed that the stops on the front of the trailer which are intended for the front wheels to rest against are removable. There would still be a stop remaining, but you can take off the tall section of stop with two bolts and then just put it back on when you return the trailer. This should allow the car to be loaded with the front lip intact. I'm going to do this in a month, so I'll report back.
I did that, it's the best thing to do, my RS even without the front lip wouldn't get far enough forward to balance the trailer.

Quick Reply: UHaul car trailer with a gt3 - any experience?