Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Thunderhill Db levels, busted.... what???

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 01:23 AM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

i drink soy milk and take coffee black, so i'd prefer to run my track exhaust thank you...
Old 06-07-2013, 03:06 AM
rja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sent mail to Thunderhill track today and I'm going to take some sound measurements tomorrow at a local lapping event. See response from track below. The issue appears to be stemming from a nearby resident and the track is taking precautions to keep sound regulations from becoming overly oppressive like Laguna. I suppose an ounce of empathy is in order.

I'm not going to roll off throttle exiting turn onto main straight as a means of circumventing sound police. I can pay for 12 unrestricted lapping days up here for what it's going to cost me to make this Thunderhill trip and pussyfoot around the track. No thanks.

If tomorrow the sound as measured is w/in a couple db of limit from 50' then I'll take a chance w/ a deflector, but otherwise I'm out

Roland,

Yes, we do have a 103 sound limit and cars must run mufflers. We have always had a 103 limit so this is nothing new. However we have had to enforce it over the last few years and keep records after a longtime neighbor complained. We are diligent about it so we don’t end up with a 92 limit like Laguna Seca.

Sound is measured at a fixed location exiting turn 15 on drivers right at 50 ft. This is the same location used by the SCCA, NASA, PCA, etc.

If you are found to be loud, we will black flag you and give you an opportunity to fix the issue. We will then allow you back out and recheck the level.
If you are still over sound we will bring you in again and give you one final chance to quiet the car down. Once out again if you are still over sound
you will be done for the day.

I hope this answers your questions.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:32 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by drl
i drink soy milk and take coffee black, so i'd prefer to run my track exhaust thank you...
soy milk are made from yellow beans. the exhaust noise scares those plants and the shrivel up. soon no soy for you
Old 06-07-2013, 10:10 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by speedoflight
TH don't have a fixed sound booth like LS. but when they measure sound, the humanoid carrying the sound meter is usually at between T14-T15. so point your downpipes to the left. there are RARE days/hours that they are enforcing it. i've been meatballed once with the sharkwerks bypass. side muffler bypass will be fine. it's not as loud as center bypass.
'humanoid' factor is a big thing here, LRP has 98 or 97 dB limit and it was seen several times how that @sshole comes all the way close to the track with his meter instead of doing it from 50ft trying to 'catch' cars with deflectors, cars that he 'thinks' should be loud. some even took pictures, but it was denied by track every time people tried to raise this issue up.

I just see it as a deliberate attempt to discourage people from participating in non-club (I mean, track club) events. go figure.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:32 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,984 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by rja
I sent mail to Thunderhill track today and I'm going to take some sound measurements tomorrow at a local lapping event. See response from track below. The issue appears to be stemming from a nearby resident and the track is taking precautions to keep sound regulations from becoming overly oppressive like Laguna. I suppose an ounce of empathy is in order.

I'm not going to roll off throttle exiting turn onto main straight as a means of circumventing sound police. I can pay for 12 unrestricted lapping days up here for what it's going to cost me to make this Thunderhill trip and pussyfoot around the track. No thanks.

If tomorrow the sound as measured is w/in a couple db of limit from 50' then I'll take a chance w/ a deflector, but otherwise I'm out
So they measure the sound between turn 15 and turn 1 on the straightaway? I'll be sure to get in 6th gear and maybe pick up some pipes that turn left.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:36 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Btw, what turn/s is the sound police at LS and on what side of the car? I'm going to a Speed Ventures event with a 105db limit but I'm nerve I might trip over that limit if it's cloudy since I'm running with no side or center mufflers.

I used an Iphone DB measuring app and found that I was hitting 103db from inside the car cabinet at WOT on a clear sunny day with both windows fully opened. I'll ask a buddy to measure it from the outside next weekend.

Last edited by usctrojanGT3; 08-18-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:58 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

at LS, it's after T5 you are going up hill at track right
Old 08-19-2013, 12:04 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 723 Likes on 333 Posts

California sucks. And uh yeah so does Portland. I got black flagged on my bike last Monday for sound. What is ironic is that during the riders meeting in the morning the head guy couldn't talk because the Oregon Nat'l guard's fighter jets were taking off from PDX.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:06 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
at LS, it's after T5 you are going up hill at track right
So deflection pipes turned to the left at about LS and TH?
Old 08-19-2013, 12:57 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

for LS turn pipe left
i dont know where TH sound station is at. most cup cars pass with no prob.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:11 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
for LS turn pipe left
i dont know where TH sound station is at. most cup cars pass with no prob.
The email that RJA got from the sound police at TH said it's on the driver's right exiting turn 15 which means it's somewhere on the straightaway between turn 15 and turn 1. I'll start with the pipes turned to the left and if I get the meatball flag, I'll turn the pipes to the right. Hopefully those fabspeed small resonators keep the sound down.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:38 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

USC,

What exhaust setup are your running???
Old 08-19-2013, 01:55 AM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

USC -you have straight pipe? No center or side? You are not likely to pass either track, even with turn away tips. I was fine af th with RSS bypass, but Ppl have been black flagged at TH with center bypass.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:12 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skxf430
USC,

What exhaust setup are your running???
Originally Posted by drl
USC -you have straight pipe? No center or side? You are not likely to pass either track, even with turn away tips. I was fine af th with RSS bypass, but Ppl have been black flagged at TH with center bypass.
I'm running the Fabspeed Maxflo Performance mufflers with the side muffler bypass pipes (see picture below).

I guess I'll be needing to be short shifting and cruise past the sound check areas. I'm thinking I'll at least pass the 105db limit at LS.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:48 PM
Rob S
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I ran at Thunderhill in June with my 996-3 that has a Charles Dundon exhaust (no cats and small mufflers). It popped a 106 and I got black flagged in the first session. I asked "Turbo" (who is the track manager) where they were measuring sound and he pointed toward turn Turn 15 and indicated it was on the right. I clamped on my "turn downs" aimed them to the left, and wasn't hassled again.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Thunderhill Db levels, busted.... what???