Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Thunderhill Db levels, busted.... what???

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 09:04 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

Thill is 103 db which is not bad IMO compared to ls(90 db-wtf?)now that's a joke but I agree it's a damn race track in the middle of nowhere. There use to be a 360 challenge car running all the time there with ncrc race at thill and it got nailed at 107 and had to have mce(on track shop) fabricate turn pipes to make it the weekend. He never got nailed prior to any of the race events. Total downer. Havent seen him this season. Mike
Old 06-27-2012, 11:18 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drl
What are opinions of the mikymu mod in regard to what has been posted above? I have spoken with 3 mechanics from 3 reputable shops who suggest there should be no damage running this for an occasional event.
If at high rpm's your car won't rev because you have a potato shoved up its butt it can't be good. Rad is 100% correct on his comments. Restricting the exhaust is restricting both the air pump and the heat evacuation. Will it damage the engine or OE exhaust to run one event? A lot of variables- I don't know and don't want to be Guinea Pig on this one. Too much at stake.

I suspect if Thunderhill and the surrounding community were to experience a 50% reduction in revenues, the one or two a-hole farmers who started this mess would get run out of town. But trackers have to vote with their wallets for that to happen.

Laguna is another story entirely and nothing can be done there other than to let it die and be subdivided out for building lots by the people who are behind the sound limits. It is a f-cking state park! You think the workers there have any power or desire to fight the residents or give a crap about you and your loud Porsche? Get real.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:28 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

meter at TH is a joke.
there is no way your RS get to 107.
yes, they busted my foot powered road bicycle at 110db. their reading is not accurate.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:45 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
meter at TH is a joke.
yes, they busted my foot powered road bicycle at 110db. their reading is not accurate.
I agree, there is no way. I forgot to mention, I was there 3 weeks earlier and had no issues.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:59 AM
Rob in Potomac
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seriously. Good point. Airplanes are not banned from approaching over surrounding neighborhoods, likely cause those folks don't have money to support such efforts. Not so in Monterey.
Actually, noise is one of the most debated issues for many airports and landing patterns are challenged - and even sometimes adjusted - based on complaints. Prime example is National Airport outside of Washington DC. With regard to sound monitoring at tracks, the worst example I have seen was at Lime Rock; watched woman who lives next to the track walk around testing sound levels and reporting to track officials.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:31 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rig up some type of "TRAPP" exhaust?

I hate to be a selfish ******* here but I don't want to be concerned with people and their auditory-comfort. They are the ones who chose to move next to a race track. That's not my problem. Just like living in Bakersfield, please don't move here and start complaining that it smells like cow**** outside when your happy-*** knew this was cattle, and light crude, country.

Laguna has been where its been long before the complainers moved in next door.

/exiting my soapbox
Old 06-28-2012, 11:57 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum

I hate to be a selfish ******* here but I don't want to be concerned with people and their auditory-comfort. They are the ones who chose to move next to a race track. That's not my problem. Just like living in Bakersfield, please don't move here and start complaining that it smells like cow**** outside when your happy-*** knew this was cattle, and light crude, country.

Laguna has been where its been long before the complainers moved in next door.

/exiting my soapbox
Well said, everyone. Not sure what to do now. I really like thunder hill.

I have not been to infineon yet, going there in september.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:26 AM
ShootingStar
Racer

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum

I hate to be a selfish ******* here but I don't want to be concerned with people and their auditory-comfort. They are the ones who chose to move next to a race track. That's not my problem.
From my understanding, this is from a buddy of mine a few years ago. Laguna Seca used to be sound level free. It wasn't until some contractors came in, bought land and built developments around it. People moved in, started complaining, and the county made Laguna Seca enforce a sound limit.

Now, if that's true or not, I'm not 100% sure.

If it is 100% true, that neighborhood could kick rocks, have people who enjoy Laguna Seca buy houses in there. People who don't care about sound.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:34 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by stujelly
Well said, everyone. Not sure what to do now. I really like thunder hill.

I have not been to infineon yet, going there in september.
infineon is the best. LS is boring as hell compared to infineon. but take it easy there. you spin, you will hit something.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:01 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

meter at TH is a joke.
Originally Posted by stujelly
I agree, there is no way. I forgot to mention, I was there 3 weeks earlier and had no issues.
They need to figure out this issue. My buddy with a totally stock 997.2 GT3 was flagged for sound at Thill....???

infineon is the best. LS is boring as hell compared to infineon. but take it easy there. you spin, you will hit something.
Agree, but the fear of hitting a wall takes some of the fun away. If you're fearless, you're good to go
Old 06-29-2012, 10:52 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

It's a long drive from the Bay Area, and it's god awful hot, boring and depressing to be there, but... Buttonwillow is my all time favorite for a challenging track! It's constantly moving, and it has quite a few sections where (as David Hobbes would say) you need a set of "large attachments".
Old 06-29-2012, 10:53 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Oh, one more thing. Just to keep the thread on-topic... NO SOUND LIMIT!!!!
Old 06-30-2012, 03:03 AM
FINN987
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Buttonwillow is my all time favorite for a challenging track!
Hear, hear! If only there were more three-day PCA/POC events there.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:06 AM
FINN987
Intermediate

Originally Posted by savyboy
It happened to me and caused $5000k of damage.
Wow. $5,000,000 in damage is pretty bad… Did you total a few 599XX's and 918 prototypes in the process?
Old 06-30-2012, 09:07 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by FINN987
Wow. $5,000,000 in damage is pretty bad… Did you total a few 599XX's and 918 prototypes in the process?
Lol! My bad... $5,000.

What's $4,995,000 among friends anyhow?

Quick Reply: Thunderhill Db levels, busted.... what???