Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Roll Call: VIR with Chin Jul 2 and 3

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012 | 12:56 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Des, seems like its been a while since you've went back to VIR. Have fun!!
Old 07-01-2012 | 02:27 AM
docdan
Instructor

Got an email from Mark Hicks tonight stating that there is NO POWER at VIR as of right now. That means all of us who have rooms at VIR will have no power and no a/c as of right now.

That said, Chin plans on going forward with the 2 day event. I hope the power comes on by tomorrow, or else there is no way I'm staying at VIR without power.

Anybody else hear anything?

Old 07-01-2012 | 05:02 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by docdan
Got an email from Mark Hicks tonight stating that there is NO POWER at VIR as of right now. That means all of us who have rooms at VIR will have no power and no a/c as of right now.

That said, Chin plans on going forward with the 2 day event. I hope the power comes on by tomorrow, or else there is no way I'm staying at VIR without power.

yuk.
Old 07-02-2012 | 12:31 AM
FLM911
Racer

We're all here and power is working just fine now. Nasty storms for sure, we a few come through between VIR and the Raleigh area this afternoon as well. Def going to be hot tomorrow. We're in garages 1,2,3 and 4. Look forward to meeting.
Old 07-02-2012 | 04:00 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FLM911
We're all here and power is working just fine now. Nasty storms for sure, we a few come through between VIR and the Raleigh area this afternoon as well. Def going to be hot tomorrow. We're in garages 1,2,3 and 4. Look forward to meeting.

I was there for that NASTY storm that went thru Friday night. We camped at the track in the premium RV spots. I was woke up a 1030pm to my 10X10 pop ups leaving for Las Vegas . . . I got my car out from under one just before the fabric was ripped off as my buddies were using all their weight to hold it down.

My buddies brand new 25ft canopy on the side of his trailer was ripped off.

We had no power that night and all day Saturday which was terrible. I have A/C in my trailer for a reason. 117 heat index on Sat . . . Sat afternoon we were told that we may not have power for days but it came on late Sat night. Too late for the a/c to cool off the trailers . . .

The whole reason I go up north in the summer is for cooler weather, not to be hotter then Florida . . . CRAZY . . . Got some good sessions in Fri though!
Old 07-02-2012 | 04:45 PM
FLM911
Racer

Originally Posted by Doc GTO
I was there for that NASTY storm that went thru Friday night. We camped at the track in the premium RV spots. I was woke up a 1030pm to my 10X10 pop ups leaving for Las Vegas . . . I got my car out from under one just before the fabric was ripped off as my buddies were using all their weight to hold it down.

My buddies brand new 25ft canopy on the side of his trailer was ripped off.

We had no power that night and all day Saturday which was terrible. I have A/C in my trailer for a reason. 117 heat index on Sat . . . Sat afternoon we were told that we may not have power for days but it came on late Sat night. Too late for the a/c to cool off the trailers . . .

The whole reason I go up north in the summer is for cooler weather, not to be hotter then Florida . . . CRAZY . . . Got some good sessions in Fri though!
Really sorry to hear this - glad your all ok though. Some crazy weather here right now. We had a major storm come through raleigh yesterday as well.
Old 07-02-2012 | 05:20 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by FLM911
Hope the heat doesn't get in the way...going to be a warm one. Good luck!
Yeah, gonna be hot one way or the other, but will be a fantastic event, the racing is pretty awesome, and my wife can chill in the room if it gets too hot (me too for that matter). I don't run full sessions anyways, so I should be ok.

Originally Posted by jenk12m
Des, seems like its been a while since you've went back to VIR. Have fun!!
Yeah, man, I've only been once, and that was that zone 2 event in 08 when I had those garbage scrub R6's I bought. Will be great to use a good set of tires on that track. Just want to run sub 2:00.
Old 07-02-2012 | 05:24 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,689 Likes on 786 Posts

Des,
In normal temps under 2:00 no problem for you, but you'll lose a lot of power in those tems right?

Have fun!
Old 07-02-2012 | 06:04 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Des,
In normal temps under 2:00 no problem for you, but you'll lose a lot of power in those tems right?

Have fun!

You'd be surprised man, my car does not die off in extreme heat. It's worse since I took the AC out, but before my car hardly skipped a beat in the heat. I have some data from 2007 in a NASA Road Atlanta event when it was 105* and the car was still going 160 mph lap after lap after lap. And that was with stock intercoolers.

Removing the AC has made the car noticeably more temp sensitive, there was something in the AC that cooled the fuel or something that gets taken out and you can tell for sure, but not overly so, I still retain power better than the Z06's and Vipers and GT-R's. And definitely don't lose 200 hp, my car will still easily overpower GT3's on the straights.

I'm more worried about the brakes, IIRC every session at VIR last time even after nearly a whole cool down lap, my brakes were still smoking.
Old 07-02-2012 | 08:22 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Sub 2min will not be an issue
Old 07-02-2012 | 08:34 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wanna911
You'd be surprised man, my car does not die off in extreme heat. It's worse since I took the AC out, but before my car hardly skipped a beat in the heat. I have some data from 2007 in a NASA Road Atlanta event when it was 105* and the car was still going 160 mph lap after lap after lap. And that was with stock intercoolers.

Removing the AC has made the car noticeably more temp sensitive, there was something in the AC that cooled the fuel or something that gets taken out and you can tell for sure, but not overly so, I still retain power better than the Z06's and Vipers and GT-R's. And definitely don't lose 200 hp, my car will still easily overpower GT3's on the straights.

I'm more worried about the brakes, IIRC every session at VIR last time even after nearly a whole cool down lap, my brakes were still smoking.
I do know that the a/c does cool the clutch and may even cool the fuel on the 997TT. When we did the clutch swap, it was an interesting cooling setup they had.

Last edited by Doc GTO; 07-02-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old 07-02-2012 | 08:58 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,734 Likes on 893 Posts

Most modern high perf cars use AC refrigerant to cool the fuel lines. Heck, this feature was on the 2000 Ferrari 550 Maranello that I used to have, too.
Old 07-02-2012 | 09:02 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Somewhat happens if you opt for ac delete?? Slower car?
Old 07-02-2012 | 09:14 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Somewhat happens if you opt for ac delete?? Slower car?
I would say more heat soak over time.... The AC compressor removes resistance from the pulley because there is one less part to turn, that actually free's up some HP. But you may sacrifice some cooling for the motor so it will heat soak quicker.

But for sure more power initially and in cooler weather. But only a couple of hp.

What is everyone else running at VIR now? Back when we went the first time 2:10 was fast. Now everybody's running 2:05? I haven't been keeping up.
Old 07-02-2012 | 09:19 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

My best laps on RA1 2:06, on R6 2:04.

I ran a bunch of hot events windows closed AC on. I could not detect the car being slower, but I do notice it being slower driving to work with AC on??? Oil temp also did not stay colder with AC one.

Quick Reply: Roll Call: VIR with Chin Jul 2 and 3