Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Looking for data to compare a 2007 and a 2009 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 11:57 AM
Tejas500
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the 7.2 3.8L GT3 is the best all around without throwing down another $30K+ for the 7.2 RS. However, If I were going to buy just one P-car to keep until I am old and grey and it weren't going to be a DD then I would save $10K and buy a non-Nav 7.1 RS.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:27 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
Really CGT? Why do you consider the 3.8 GT3 "unremarkable"? Just curious...

Sure the 997.1RS may be more exclusive but technically, "out of the box" the 997.2 3 is better in every way... More downforce, torquier, faster in every way and easier to live with in everyway as a non track car... It certainly ***** over a 997.1 3 by a mile and yet it ranks lower in your opinion... Just wondering what makes it so unimpressive in your opinion?....

ps. a pro V8 supercar driver took mine out for a few laps at phillip island and pulled a 1.46 flat on standard fact spec alignment and MPSS... He said that with a set of slicks he was certain he would be doing a 1.40 flat!! I may just shell out for a set of 19" slicks and put him to the test one day... To give you some idea of how impressive that is, the lap record for a cup car there is in the high 1-36-1.37 for a non-pro and a high 1.34 in the hands of a pro... He was MOST impressed by this car's pace....
Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
i'm impressed too.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bVZf...yer_embedded#!

i think cgt was just referring to the rs badge snobbery...haha
i'd take a 993 though.
Strewth! Stone the crows, you two bludgers! Don't come the raw prawn with me. Bruces, I didn't say your girlfriends are ugly, just that they remind me of Joh Bejelke-Peterson about to sneeze. Kidding!

In the line up of GT3's and RS's, at least in the US market, the 997.2 GT3 arrived to a luke warm reception. It brought the nose lift and that was about it. It's incremental in the 911 way. The thing I liked most about it was the absence of a sunroof (not a big deal in other markets) and i think it brought the GT2 seats to the option list.

I don't mean anything derogatory by "unremarkable" -- the car simply didn't bring anything all that remarkable. When I had the 997.1 GT3, I couldn't find the motivation to update. If someone was looking to buy a GT3 or RS from '99 to 2011, there are some remarkable ones. If someone was looking to buy a 911, circa 2010, I didn't see any reason to argue against the .2 GT3 per se, nor did I see cause to update from the .1 at the time.

It's a sequence of cars. For years, I really couldn't differentiate between the 997.1 GT3 and the 996.2 GT3. I had the '04 and the '07 at the same time because I was not immediately convinced to give up the 996.2. There were also people paying up for the 997.1 GT3, so I managed to drive mine for most of two track seasons and sell for effectively zero cost. In retrospect, I'd take the 996.2 "warts and all" -- the cabin is just not my cup of tea with all the swooping oval shapes and hard plastic, but mine had full black leather and carbon froufrou bits that I think went a long way to making it a nicer place to find yourself sitting after spending US$99K+.

When the 997.1 GT3 came along, it appealed to my 993 tendencies. The 997.2 tended to add bulk and heft. It certainly is a quicker example in the lineage, but it didn't win me over. I positioned it as more street oriented, the 997.1 more track oriented. Just subjective.

Then I had the luck to get a 3.8 RS and that was that -- there's really not been a 911 like it and it really raised the bar on all counts from handling to raw power, the setup of gearing, the performance out of the box, the appearance (once the stickers are off it) and it really is remarkable. So in that line-up, again, the 997.2 GT3 was a bridesmaid, never the bride.

I've chosen GT3's as track cars, with secondary duties for street driving only on occasion. I dislike the 3.8 RS as a daily driver and perhaps the .2 GT3 wins out over the .1 GT3 (some locals here like mjones drove his .2 GT3 like a grand tourer and racked up cross country road trips for no more cause than to be driving the car.) I found the .2 a bit loud in the cabin for the long haul, to say the least. Around town, it's just too much car -- on public roads, there's no way to use it to its potential.

So again, I don't mean anything especially critical or negative and I realize that .2 GT3 owners, some of whom on Rennlist I count amongst my friends and fellow track junkies, are not exactly crying themselves to sleep. : )
Old 06-24-2012, 06:39 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

lmao... No offense taken CGT... We are all entitled to an opinion and I was trying to understand on what basis you ranked it a you did...Now I understand your thinking! Agreed, there were very few innovations that came with the .2 gt3, they just seemed to tidy up most aspects of the earlier cars and make it a more rounded performer... )

Quick Reply: Looking for data to compare a 2007 and a 2009 GT3