Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Daytona In December

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 10:50 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I'm mixed on HOD, I heard they got better but then I got this video 2 weeks ago, I can't imagine beeing on track with these people.
Watch till the end, it ends just like you think it will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv-_p...ature=youtu.be

I Hope the Audi club is in control!
Good old turn 10 at Homestead eats another car. Seen it happen with a lot of DE groups ie NASA PBOC CHIN HOD don't think you can blame the groups for that incident.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:54 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Good old turn 10 at Homestead eats another car. Seen it happen with a lot of DE groups ie NASA PBOC CHIN HOD don't think you can blame the groups for that incident.
No, but you can blame the idiotic driving in the previous video.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:12 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

$1200.. Ouch..
I heard great things about the event. Re-aligning car, ruining a new set of tires and suicide speeds once a year is enough for me though....
It's a bucket list thing for me. I've done it 2-3 times now. No real interest in going back. Especially for all the setup and consequences if something goes wrong. Everybody should do it at least once though.

Originally Posted by Erik
I'll go with PBOC instead. Beers at the Wing House :-))
That's the best part of running daytona
Old 06-19-2012, 11:13 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by stujelly
Just curious about this event to see what the feedback is with HOD in Florida??

I have run with HOD in other events on the west coast and they appear to be top notch.

I was going to do this event last year with Rezoom, I think, but it was cancelled.

http://www.hookedondriving.com/event...ing_Experience
I know the organizers...I have been trying to get to this event for 2 years without any luck...everyone that has been to it, raves about the weekend...
Last year 4 GT cars required engine rebuilt due to driver error at high rev/speed that most are not accustomed to.
you will need two sets of new tires to avoid a blow out I am told..
I will try for it this year again.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:21 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deputydog95
It's a bucket list thing for me. I've done it 2-3 times now. No real interest in going back. Especially for all the setup and consequences if something goes wrong. Everybody should do it at least once though.

That's the best part of running daytona
+1 Not sure if I will go this year..Maybe take the wifes car with Supersports and a speed limiter ;-)
Old 06-19-2012, 12:57 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Never had a tire issue with new R888 at Daytona. R888 has stiff sidewall that requires less camber so that works great at Daytona and when switching back to street tires.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:31 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 459 Posts

No, but you can blame the idiotic driving in the previous video.
You bet idiots come in all flavors usually Darwinism eliminates them pretty quickly.

Peter
Old 06-19-2012, 05:45 PM
gieseja
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as tire blow outs go, it is always the right rear and it is usually a hoosier on a 911. Recommend bringing 2 new sets and only using them for 1.5 days. They will still be fine to use at other tracks.

Wing house beer is not even remotely close to the best part of daytona.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:51 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Still. I'm fully committed to the Winghouse. Good memories.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:05 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,566 Likes on 822 Posts

PBOC at Daytona in October FTW. And yeah, make sure to care for alignment & pressures.

T10 at Homestead is out of commission until th edrainage construction is finished. That said, this assclown did what too many people do: used all of the T10 apex curb, which really upsets most cars with a double bump while the car is loaded on the right side. Displacing that apex by a couple feet would have prevented thhat from happening...
Old 06-19-2012, 07:07 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
PBOC at Daytona in October FTW. And yeah, make sure to care for alignment & pressures.

T10 at Homestead is out of commission until th edrainage construction is finished. That said, this assclown did what too many people do: used all of the T10 apex curb, which really upsets most cars with a double bump while the car is loaded on the right side. Displacing that apex by a couple feet would have prevented thhat from happening...
Did you see the first video?! 10x worse.

Oh, next time you coach me and I hit the wall and you tell me I did everything perfect we are gonna get bloody.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:26 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Yikes...listen to his instructor at the end.:eek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrRpd...9&feature=plcp
wow such great instruction. How funny
Old 06-20-2012, 07:31 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,566 Likes on 822 Posts

Did you see the first video?! 10x worse.

Oh, next time you coach me and I hit the wall and you tell me I did everything perfect we are gonna get bloody.
Holy crap, I just watched it! Same problem--too much curb, big bumps, failure to unload steering, ran out of talent. Saw it coming 2 laps earlier.

If I coach you and you hit the wall for any reason other thhan tire failure, I will punch you in the helmet and yell DUMBASS. That's what I would have done in the first video...

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 06-22-2012 at 11:41 PM. Reason: typos
Old 06-20-2012, 09:31 AM
onelove
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm with others and have had great fun at the PBOC event there. Had a brand new R6 blow out last year with only 3 sessions on it, granted 600hp car, but corrected alignment and rna the pressures we were told, all in all I think between the 4 cars we were running with we lost 7-8 that weekend. If I decide to run it again I'll definitely see about getting tires specifically for this event (I know for the Ferraris we went with a few months back they had a "Super Speedway spec" Hoosier. This in addition to changing the car setup as well.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:16 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by onelove
I'm with others and have had great fun at the PBOC event there. Had a brand new R6 blow out last year with only 3 sessions on it, granted 600hp car, but corrected alignment and rna the pressures we were told, all in all I think between the 4 cars we were running with we lost 7-8 that weekend. If I decide to run it again I'll definitely see about getting tires specifically for this event (I know for the Ferraris we went with a few months back they had a "Super Speedway spec" Hoosier. This in addition to changing the car setup as well.
This is the main reason I ran Daytona (first time ever there) with specific tires for the event at a cost of near $2500 once shipped and installed.

I had some data from the Traqmate site, so I could run some estimates.

1.- Playing on the safe side, I took the high lateral g-forces detected by Traqmate at the banking and used the lower averages, they are around 1.0g. Traqmate doesn't detect downforce, so it cannot determine how much grip the angle of the banking is generating. For this missing measurement, I used the infield turns and the bus stop that are on flat surface, with peak g-forces on the 1.4g-1.6g on DOT-R R6.

2.- Using the high average g on the flat turns, and low average g on the banking, there is a 0.6g difference.

3.- For my car (09 Fiat), I used the maximum static weight, that is full tank of fuel, a passenger, total of 3,600 lbs, with a 45/55 weight distribution. This gives close to 2,000 lbs on static weight to the rear axle and 1,600 lbs to the front axle. Using the (overrated on the safe side) 0.6g added on downforce (or extra weight) by the banking, this adds 1,200 lbs to the rear axle, for a total of 3,200 lbs. The front gets to 2,600 lbs.

4.- My Fiat has lift at 125mph on the rear axle, and 0 lift in the front, so at Daytona speeds is producing lift front and rear, but I use 0 lift for these estimates. Cars with wings need to calculate the extra downforce caused by wings.

5.- At the Banking the car is under low forward acceleration, so I move front weight to the back by 10% to simulate this load. Front axle now at 2,350 lbs and rear axle at 3,450 lbs.

6.- The car is tuning slightly at the banking (based on slight steering wheel angle) so the right side is loaded, I used a 60% right load and 40% left load to estimate these values. New weights:

LF: 940 lbs
RF: 1410 lbs
LR: 1380 lbs
RR: 2070 lbs

Now, the diligence was to find a tire that could tolerate a 1410 lbs static load for the front and 2070 lbs for the rear. I found the 265/30R19 and 345/30R19 MPSC to be close to these values. The specific 345/30R19 is the tire used by the Viper ACR, a car that generates 1000 lbs of downforce at 150mph, and weighs almost 4,000 lbs with a full tank of fuel and a passenger.

Most of the blowouts at Daytona happen after NASCAR T4 when most cars develop the highest lateral load combined with the highest speed. By the start/finish line the speeds are higher, but lateral load have been reduced drastically.

The correct procedure (rather than using estimates), is to apply zip tie to the shock rods at each corner on static weight with a full tank of fuel, driver and passenger. Drive the track, and measure how much the zip ties have moved from static. Knowing your corner weights, and your spring rates, you will be able to determine how much extra weight the track added to each corner. For example, let's say Trakcar's 3.8RS has a Right Rear corner weight of 1,100 lbs, and he runs 600# springs, the zip ties moved 40mm after a Daytona track session, so the track applied 950 lbs to that corner and the tire took a load of 2,050 lbs (1100 lbs static and 950 dynamic). In this case, the rear tires should be able to handle a 2,050 lbs load.

The typical Hoosier sizes used by the GT3 have loads in the range of 1400 lbs, and surely such loads are exceeded at Daytona, so despite of Hoosiers tolerance above the maximum load they assign to their tires, exceeding the load substantially will cause a tire failure. When I hear people saying: "I ran XX tire at Daytona and the car was fine", I just think how lucky they are.

Cording tires is the less of the worries. Daytona requires less camber, -1.5 degrees at most, with -1.0 ideal on the rear axle. The major problem is overloading the sidewalls and causing a total tire failure.

Choose your tires wisely, and you'll be safer.

Quick Reply: Daytona In December