RSS VS GMG Rollbar - trying to decide

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 11:29 AM
Paul2x
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
dont over think cromo, tig mig.
look at the design and if you are an engineer, run FEA, you will see which is better.
if you are so worried about cutting welding into the car, dont bother. it's only your neck that's at stake.
Yep, it's all about design/ mounting points (shear points) .

931 is larger dia tubing and has much better mounting points- but comes at a higher cost and more weight (68lbs vs 43lbs)

really comes down to what your doing w/ the car.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:48 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
After looking at the 931, I wish I had spent the extra money and got that instead of the 930. I like my 930, but the 931 is clearly a better design.
I have 931 bar... Very well designed and built....little tight with sunroof and I thought I should have bought the 930 bar
Old 06-19-2012, 01:23 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm looking at something from here: http://www.safetydevices.com/motorsp...1998-2004/442/

Similar to the clubsport full cage but you don't have to bend over to get one. Have seen a few of them in person, quality made bits.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:40 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I have the same question as the OP but a few more- do I have to cut carpet to fit any of these? Why the beef against Vivid Racing? Their rollbar looks more unique than any of the others and being able remove the center bars (if only to clean the rear window) would be a plus IMO. I had a DAS on my previous track car (a 993) and really liked it- installed very easily. But getting to the rear window was next to impossible.

Anything you guys can add would be appreciated.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:49 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by George from MD
I have the same question as the OP but a few more- do I have to cut carpet to fit any of these? Why the beef against Vivid Racing? Their rollbar looks more unique than any of the others and being able remove the center bars (if only to clean the rear window) would be a plus IMO. I had a DAS on my previous track car (a 993) and really liked it- installed very easily. But getting to the rear window was next to impossible.

Anything you guys can add would be appreciated.
I think most people think of safety first when it comes to roll bars, not how unique it is or convenient. The trust factor with Vivid racing is not high as they have a reputation for some sub par products, and just plain copies of other products which is not good if it's not tested and developed.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:20 PM
brim
Rennlist Member

RSS has been flawless for me!
Old 06-19-2012, 05:19 PM
RS GT3 RS
Advanced

Anyone here knowing the weight between all the different ones.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:45 PM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul2x
931 is larger dia tubing and has much better mounting points- but comes at a higher cost and more weight (68lbs vs 43lbs) ...
Paul thanks for the exact specs on the weight differential. I was trying to find out.

Ranger (Sua Sponte)
Old 06-20-2012, 01:24 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,959 Likes on 1,753 Posts

dont over think cromo, tig mig.
look at the design and if you are an engineer, run FEA, you will see which is better.
if you are so worried about cutting welding into the car, dont bother. it's only your neck that's at stake.
Seeing as both the weld in bar and the bolt in bar are bolted at the front, I don't see how the bolt in bar is dangerous and life threatening.

With one you weld in plates then bolt to the plate. With the other type, you bolt into a piece of metal that is part of the car. I realize that there is a difference, but to what extent, safety wise? If there a record of bolt in bars failing?
Old 06-20-2012, 02:18 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,740 Likes on 2,349 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I have 931 bar... Very well designed and built....little tight with sunroof and I thought I should have bought the 930 bar
no, you got the right bar. you want it as tight as you can get. most pre made bars are not tight enough. you want it to push up the headliner and touch the roof. no aftermkt bar really does that unless custom. same goes with the clearance to the B pillar.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:20 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Seeing as both the weld in bar and the bolt in bar are bolted at the front, I don't see how the bolt in bar is dangerous and life threatening.

With one you weld in plates then bolt to the plate. With the other type, you bolt into a piece of metal that is part of the car. I realize that there is a difference, but to what extent, safety wise? If there a record of bolt in bars failing?
they are not life threatening. they are all better than none. but you asked which is better.
bolt to a plate vs bolt to car. force distribution is a factor.
they all have compromises. so each person pick differently
as one poster stated the wt difference. if you do AX, you need lighter bar. if you track, the extra 20lbs isnt going to many any difference.

some bars have eye bolts drilled into bar. it is a stress riser if you run FEA. will that make bar fail? probably not. but given a choice, i dont like eyebolt in the bar. i just wrap strap on bar itself.

some times even the direction of the bolt makes a difference. this is hare to explain and i dont know how to draw pix on computer....
Old 06-20-2012, 01:50 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 128 Posts

no, you got the right bar. you want it as tight as you can get. most pre made bars are not tight enough. you want it to push up the headliner and touch the roof. no aftermkt bar really does that unless custom. same goes with the clearance to the B pillar.
Thanks Mooty...that is exactly what my RSS bar does.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:06 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Thanks Mooty for the wealth of info. What bar are you running?

With all you've said, I think one can't go wrong with the RSS 931 bar. I spoke with Mike down there and if I have them do the install, I think I'll have the plates welded in.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:16 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Thanks Mooty for the wealth of info. What bar are you running?

With all you've said, I think one can't go wrong with the RSS 931 bar. I spoke with Mike down there and if I have them do the install, I think I'll have the plates welded in.
i run a custom bar that requires a LOT of welding into the car. for the sane ppl, RSS is plenty strong.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:18 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

If you purchased an off the shelf bar, which one would it be? RSS, GMG (probably not as it has the eye bolts), Tequipment if you can find one?

Quick Reply: RSS VS GMG Rollbar - trying to decide