Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

creaky steering diagnosis?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 06:33 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
it appears that the source is coming from my RSS bump steer kit, the ball sockets are tight, and as a result it requires a little force to break the friction between the ball and its teflon liner...
Bumping an old thread because I just ran into this same exact problem, RSS bump steer tie rod ends creaking while steering. The creaking was from the ball joint on the driver's side at the knuckle The joint is very tight and takes a bit of force to break the stiction with the teflon liner. I've removed the rubber protective boot and sprayed the ball joint with some silicone spray, helps a ton. Perhaps some brake dust is getting inside even with the rubber boot.

RSS is using a quality ball joint from FK part number HJMX10T. If my creaking returns I'll replace the entire ball joint. So glad it's not the steering rack!
Old 06-02-2017, 06:37 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,250 Posts

Originally Posted by semicycler
Bumping an old thread because I just ran into this same exact problem, RSS bump steer tie rod ends creaking while steering. The creaking was from the ball joint on the driver's side at the knuckle The joint is very tight and takes a bit of force to break the stiction with the teflon liner. I've removed the rubber protective boot and sprayed the ball joint with some silicone spray, helps a ton. Perhaps some brake dust is getting inside even with the rubber boot.

RSS is using a quality ball joint from FK part number HJMX10T. If my creaking returns I'll replace the entire ball joint. So glad it's not the steering rack!
in my case it was also the drivers side - same problem, overcoming stiction...

Quick Reply: creaky steering diagnosis?