Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Harry's Lap Timer vs Traqmate

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 01:56 AM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

Can you clarify problem with gopro and solodl? I have gopro and thinking of getting solodl.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:24 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I use trackvision, then post process with adobe premiere elements 10
Thanks, but am I right to assume your "dash" from trackvision stays only with one video (i.e. if you transition from the front to back cam in Premiere you won't be able to get the trackvision dash to show in the back cam?)

Originally Posted by drl
Can you clarify problem with gopro and solodl? I have gopro and thinking of getting solodl.
Sorry I didn't meant to suggest there'a problem whatsoever, it's just that GoPro vids and Solo data are separate streams which need to be brought together to create a more elaborate final product... HLT (and SmartyCam) try to do this to some extent, but they end up being neither here nor there...
Old 06-12-2012, 02:26 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
Rad: without the aid of external GPS, HLT isn't half as good. Give or take half a sec in my experience just suction-cupping my iPhone to other people's cars. More importantly, the lack of accurate datapoints relegates it to a simple timer (i.e. track plots incomplete and straight/corner speeds missing)

The data rate for TomTom is only 1Hz, but that already gets me to within 0.05–0.1s of my SoloDL. Haven't tried the other external sensors mentioned above but I surmise that anything above 1Hz will suffice.

As an OT: I am earnestly struggling to make sense of my setup. I used to run only a SmartyCam (with data) and HLT for visualization of laptimes and immediate post-run timing. Problem is that SmartyCam is horrible with video quality and HLT limited with data. So I got additional GoPros and a SoloDL. Now I have data and video and data feeds coming out the wazoo but no logical workflow around all that...

I see a potential solution in Trackvision, but that doesn't do proper video overlays and transitions like dedicated videoediting tools... Has anyone seen tools that generate only a "dash" with data which can then be imported into the likes of iMovies or Premiere?

Easy fix. After 8 years using Traqmate, Trackvision and different cameras, I gave up. Video quality is irrelevant when YouTube kills the quality anyway.

Get a cable that connects the AiM Solo DL to the SmartyCam, and have the other cable that goes from the Solo DL to the ODB2 port. That's what I'm using these days in the Fiat and Coxster. Automatic recording, videos are already merged with data overlay so no editing required, just trim them in QuickTime and ready less than 3 minutes editing, small files too, .MOV format, 16Gb gives you 8 hours of track time. The ODB2 cable recharges both the SOLO DL and the SmartyCam, no need to charge batteries. The SmartyCam retrieves all the data from the SOLO DL, including vitals from the car, TPS, Brakes, RPM, gear, GPS info, etc.

The Race Studio 2 software is the Pro level stuff AiM uses for the $$$ data loggers (MXL, Evo3, Evo4, Pista), and it is fully compatible with the SOLO DL.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:51 AM
9972RS
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

yes, I agree, the workflow with a solo DL and smartycam is simple and easy. No post-processing at all. You can even view them on your iPad immediately after a run.

My only complaint is that I've never felt more of a schmuck by spending $1K for a camera that only produces standard def videos. I knew this and I did it. what a shame.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:26 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
Thanks, but am I right to assume your "dash" from trackvision stays only with one video (i.e. if you transition from the front to back cam in Premiere you won't be able to get the trackvision dash to show in the back cam?)
You can address that issue by processing everything in Premier first, and then use trackvision to overlay on your final product. This is what I usually do since I run several cameras.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:21 PM
rubber_ducky
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 78 Posts

I love my HLT/Dual electronics GPS combo. I don't like having HLT in sight when lapping, so it sits (not charging) in my center console. You'd be surprised by how much longer the iphone's battery lasts when the internal GPS isn't being used by HLT.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:55 AM
doctp12
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Big decision, I need the most simple data acquisition system with HD camera system.
I love the Aim Pista and was ready to buy but discovered that it only works with Smarty Cam at 720 I ... $1000. For the the camera only.
Traqmate uses the Go pro 2 camera at 1080P($300.00), but ? Doesn't plug into Ecu?
My car is 2011 gt3Rs
I need all the potential info from direct plug into Ecu, track overlay, and go pro 2 camera??
Simplicity, with minimal or NO post processing.
Does this exist????
Tom
Old 06-24-2012, 11:24 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by doctp12
Big decision, I need the most simple data acquisition system with HD camera system.
I love the Aim Pista and was ready to buy but discovered that it only works with Smarty Cam at 720 I ... $1000. For the the camera only.
Traqmate uses the Go pro 2 camera at 1080P($300.00), but ? Doesn't plug into Ecu?
My car is 2011 gt3Rs
I need all the potential info from direct plug into Ecu, track overlay, and go pro 2 camera??
Simplicity, with minimal or NO post processing.
Does this exist????
Tom
Take a look at RLC track commander or micropod. ECU connectivity plus integration with gopro camera with trigger cable.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:33 AM
Paul2x
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems to be a few different versions of the Harry's Lap Timer app. Which are you all going with?

Also Will you get the same results with the phone mounted anywhere else vs. winshield? Dash, cubby in front of the shifter, etc with the external GPS Devices?

Last edited by Paul2x; 06-25-2012 at 02:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Harry's Lap Timer vs Traqmate