Shudder when shifting

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 02:34 PM
heyhobingo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shudder when shifting

Hey all

Had a search but can't find anything on this issue.

My GT3, 33k km, 2008 has developed a shudder at certain times, mainly when parking at low revs, and it's worse when some lock is on the wheels, and also when downshifting (not aggressively) usually from 3rd to 2nd, I lift the clutch and the car shudders. It's really bizarre.

I recently had an FVD short shift fitted, do you folks think it could have something to do with this?

Apologies, I don't have a better description on the issue

Any thoughts?
Old 06-10-2012, 08:33 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

When you say you "lift the clutch and the car shudders," do you mean depressing the clutch pedal?

A glazed clutch/flywheel can certainly create similar symptoms, but that typically happens when you have some slip (i.e. partial clutch) and never with a clutch fully engaged or disengaged.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:54 AM
heyhobingo
Advanced

I mean I have selected 2nd, and am lifting the clutch pedal, the clutch in between engaged and disengaged (not fully off the clutch)
Old 06-11-2012, 05:08 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Clutch is getting thin.

Try putting the car in reverse and doing a "garage parking" with only the clutch and no throttle. Shudder should be worse.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:43 AM
heyhobingo
Advanced

Thanks Bmardine. It was kind of in my mind it was the clutch. You are right , happens more when I am reversing out of parking space in the morning. Oh no, looks like I might need to install a GT3RS flywheel and crank pulley whilst the clutch is getting done!

Most performance places only sell LWFW but not the RS version, I would like to keep the car as Porschey as possible. Anyone know of a good source of RS parts?
Old 06-11-2012, 11:21 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Porsche and the aftermarket guys all get their gear from Sach's. You can order the OEM RS flywheel alone if you must - sonnen porsche (porscheoemparts.com) are excellent and I've taken delivery of parts from them in the past.

I had my work done at ARM, had the flywheel, clutch and pulley (and put a Guard diff in while I was at it) all at once last summer. I went for the FVD sport clutch + flywheel as per ARM recommendation, and installed the Motorsports pulley. So far no problems. You'll have to get used to shifting a bit faster, will take you a day or two to get used to it.

If you want the dealership to do it, unlikely. They will tell you that the 997.1RS crank is a different part code than the crank on the 997.1 (they are the same part code, but different index).

If you want to buy the parts yourself, Sharkwerks has the whole kit (clutch, flywheel, etc) available to buy, I think its the OEM RS flywheel but you'd need to check with them

Hope this helps.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:44 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 381 Posts

Suncoast has a LWFW conversion kit but I think it is .2 only. Pretty sure they also sell the individual parts.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:47 AM
heyhobingo
Advanced

Thanks Guys.

BMardini, on a scare of 1-10, how much improvement and increase do you think you got from the Flywheel and Pulley? definately worth it?

Its next on the list for me, and probably with a FVD Remap also.

I watched the YAS and Autodrome laps.....awesome!
Old 06-16-2012, 12:38 PM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The pulley is a safety/reliability item, doesn't really do anything for performance. The flywheel is nice, supposedly you get a fraction better acceleration in 1st and 2nd (but really, its almost impossible to notice). Where you really notice it is on downshifting, the revs pop up a lot faster than the normal flywheel.

So, to answer your question, I'd give the mod a 6 or 7 / 10.

You missed the Club night yesterday, 100 drivers in total!
Old 06-18-2012, 05:57 AM
heyhobingo
Advanced

Thanks man!

Yeah, unfortunately I had other plans. Next time though!!
Old 07-28-2012, 07:53 AM
heyhobingo
Advanced

Mardini, you heading to Yas in September?
Old 07-29-2012, 06:23 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Lightweight flywheel also dramatically increases the impact of compression braking, especially at higher RPMs. It will make the car more prone to lift oversteer which is either joyous or terrifying depending on your driving style.

Quick Reply: Shudder when shifting