Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Hesitation in power delivery between 5k-6k?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 01:46 AM
madporsche
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hesitation in power delivery between 5k-6k?

Once I give a full throttle from 2nd gear, I get a hesitation in acceleration between 5,000-6,000rpm. Actually, the RPM shortly goes down in the range @ WOT. If I gently control the gas pedal though, the symptom doesn't bother me. Besides the range I mentioned, my 07 GT3 runs great without any power loss or hesitation.

Is it caused by bad MAF? Any ideas?
Old 06-10-2012, 02:10 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Misfire. Ignition coil / camshaft actuator / plugs / fuel pump. Had the same thing, similar rev range, same car. In my case it was the fuel pump one time, then the fuel relay, then the ignition coil. Was irritating as hell to fix it because it was an intermittent problem but eventually was sorted. You're probably losing 20hp or something too. Hard to feel but comparing track data before and after I would reach about 5kph higher top speed at the end of the straight on the track.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:23 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

If it was a 3.8 gt3 or rs I would say cam actuator. Is the valve train making any more noise than usual?
Old 06-12-2012, 03:06 AM
madporsche
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No more noise than usual
Can GT3's racing gear ratio cause the issue?
Old 06-12-2012, 05:22 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

no
Old 06-12-2012, 06:42 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by madporsche
Once I give a full throttle from 2nd gear, I get a hesitation in acceleration between 5,000-6,000rpm. Actually, the RPM shortly goes down in the range @ WOT. If I gently control the gas pedal though, the symptom doesn't bother me. Besides the range I mentioned, my 07 GT3 runs great without any power loss or hesitation.

Is it caused by bad MAF? Any ideas?
Don't keep asking the engine to suffer through this problem it could turn ugly in a big bang.

Originally Posted by bmardini
Misfire. Ignition coil / camshaft actuator / plugs / fuel pump. Had the same thing, similar rev range, same car. In my case it was the fuel pump one time, then the fuel relay, then the ignition coil. Was irritating as hell to fix it because it was an intermittent problem but eventually was sorted. You're probably losing 20hp or something too. Hard to feel but comparing track data before and after I would reach about 5kph higher top speed at the end of the straight on the track.
These points of failure make sense, but mid-range torque can be all kinds of gremlins or evil hobgoblins -- if the engine had an over-rev, it can be in the valve train or the big end and getting worse. If it's electronic, it can be as simple as a mouse chewing into a wire and causing voltage faults. If it's in the engine system loops, it would throw emissions codes and you'd get an OBD2 CEL.

Since the engine is losing rpm (that's a worry) then regaining and building power, I'm guessing it's a known problem with the engine at this age and mileage, maintenance history, fuel and driving habits. It's time for a diagnostic trip to the dealer -- they'll probably pick up the fault without guesswork since it's repeatable and has a dramatic symptom.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:11 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Absolutely. A durametric check will reveal everything, including overrevs. When they did my check, they were pretty exhaustive; they swapped coils, plugs, did leakdown tests, checked each fuel injector, and so on.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:59 AM
TTurbine
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Check Flywheel ,

Had a similar problem but with misifire and the car would run like it's on 4 cyl , They dealer and a reputable swiss tuner thought that it was a Cam related problem , Durametric throwed out a camshaft related fault , turned out to be a flywheel bolt

Quick Reply: Hesitation in power delivery between 5k-6k?