Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Rumormill - 991 GT3 to come with PDK only

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 02:03 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aerokitted

What do the cup cars and rsrs come with?
they both come with a manual gearbox
Old 06-09-2012, 02:30 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Trackers looking for the latest performance upgrade? Lol, what does that even mean? Any way you look at it It's false. The most common upgrades at the track are brakes, clutch, suspension and maintenance items, not the latest performance upgrades. People want the stuff that has been proven reliable and is the least expensive but still durable option.

Generic statements like that make me think you are just guessing what you think guys like and don't actually spend me at the track.
Excuse me for using generic language like "performance upgrades" instead of making a list of all the upgrade possibilities and defining their potential uses and advantages. Exactly why do trackers do upgrades for brakes, suspension, tires, exhaust, aero, increased displacement, etc. Just for looks? For reliability sometimes, but also for increased performance. After all, if performance isn't important and you're just looking for the most inexpensive and reliable option, why not just spend $15K on a used Miata, hit the track, and have some fun instead of spending $100-200K+ on a GT Porsche?

I've drag raced, tracked, taken driving schools, and autocrossed at various times for over 40 years. No doubt I don't have your level of track experience but I think I have a pretty good idea that most people driving their cars in competitive venues welcome more performance, or the "latest performance upgrade" as I casually stated it. PDK is another way to significantly increase performance and therefore, IMO, it will have appeal to some, but not all, on that basis. That was my point.

Obviously, feel free to disagree, but I see no reason why you should try to insult me as a poser simply for expressing an opinion that is different than yours.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 06-09-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:40 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

Calm down guys.

Everytime when manual and PDK come into the same sentence, it will always lead to some heated arguments.

I'm a manual guy. I admit that PDK can shift faster and offers faster track times. But so what? Do I really care if I am not competing in a race for price?

Nissan GT-R turns in faster track time than a lot of GT3s. Why do people still pay more for a slower car?

For those who claim that PDK is faster and therefore manual should retire is very naive. Life is good because we have choices to make. It does not always have to be good choices, but at least they are my choices.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:14 PM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You know, as far as GT cars go, the Cup's and the R's and RSR's are considered much more difficult to drive than their Lambo, Ferrari etc counterparts. Despite the R and RSR having paddle shift (although the sequential is still next to you and looks like its being controlled by a demon. Fascinating to watch when you're in the car).

I think even with PDK, the GT3 will still reward a good driver more than other cars. I don't really think PDK is the issue here, I think people are afraid that the car will become more like a GT-R. Which I can understand.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:19 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Calm down guys.

Everytime when manual and PDK come into the same sentence, it will always lead to some heated arguments.
I'm calm. There's no reason to argue about PDK vs. MT AFAIC. I've owned both (MT's for much, much longer), and I get why people might prefer one or the other; each has their advantages and disadvantages, neither is "better" IMO. I do object when people (not you) stoop to innuendo when trying to make their point. 'Nuff said......

Last edited by Mike in CA; 06-09-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:41 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your passion for the stick and **** makes you sound a bit... Cantankerous.

The only area where the manual has the advantage is in the realm of nostalgia.

What do the cup cars and rsrs come with? If they could go faster with a stick shift they'd be equipped as such. Automated transmissions are faster, more efficient and arguably more fun. The market demands it. Porsche is following suit.

And you know what's really fun? Winning. The manual transmission has been driving down the road to extinction carrying with it the DVD, MySpace, landlines, Paris Hilton, 9to5, halogens, etc.

If PDK is this good now, imagine the progress made in even just a few more years. I understand and enjoy the 6speed manual, but soon it'll be time to move onward. The entire driving package will be designed around it. Just win.
Like I said homework, I'm putting the same clutch in manual track car that goes into the cups. These clutches will not go into a pdk. What does that tell you?

Cup sequentials and rsr transmissions are not automated. But you'd have to actually know something about race cars to know that.

So your point is what again?
Old 06-09-2012, 11:45 PM
Horstair
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Smile

Maybe the moderators just need to close this thread before it gets out of hand.. This is a forum to voice our opinions in a courteous and considerate way. Sometimes we have a bad day and that's okay but "wannabnice" (maybe that should be his screen name) was out of line in my opinion." FAIL!" Man, I hope this guy doesn't have any students anywhere and tells them "FAIL"! You're no good...
The manual vs auto discussion can go on forever. It all depends on how you're using your car. If you're living in the "middle of nowhere" which is probably most of America between the coasts -and also most of Australia, a manual is entertaining. If you use your car as a DD and don't really commute in traffic, manual is also great.
If you live among 5 million people like I do and on the way home from the track you get stuck in traffic for an hour+, clutching every 5 feet, maybe an automatic doesn't sound too bad. It also depends on the track. I never get out of 3rd gear on our tight west coast tracks except one or two hairpins. So while I love my 6-speed, I have wondered how nice it would be to keep my hands on the wheel with some nice paddles. I don't like the current PDK in the Porsches, including the 991, just not intelligent enough yet compared to what Ferrari has, but I hope that in couple of years, they'll have individually programmable/mapping auto-manuals.
For us DE guys, I don't think it's so much about about being "fast" but about having fun driving our nice cars without watching for LEOs in the rear view mirror. And THAT means many different things to many different people. So like Mike said, as long as we have options, all is good.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:08 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I take my pdk gt3 on the track and I have an issue, will they void my warranty even though all the computers are supposed to protect me from myself?

Pdk is like going to the shooting range with a laser sight - highly effective and somewhat uninvolving.

If thats your bag, then by all means have at it

Please keep the manual option if anyone is reading this from Porsche - be the last car company to offer it...hold out at least until the vette/viper go automatic
Old 06-10-2012, 01:22 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 204 Posts

PDK not the answer or existing seq on the cup or rsr. They need a v8 with trq. It's great they moved the motor/tranny for better balance but these small increments of improvement is getting old. Go ballistic PAG!!! Mike
Old 06-10-2012, 02:53 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,358 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
PDK not the answer or existing seq on the cup or rsr. They need a v8 with trq. It's great they moved the motor/tranny for better balance but these small increments of improvement is getting old. Go ballistic PAG!!! Mike
come on mike if you want ballistic in a porsche you have to go sharky or bbi or manthey 4.x L build!

haha
Old 06-10-2012, 03:24 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

I wish boring out the motor or having the rsr go unrestrict
Old 06-10-2012, 03:33 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Damn pressed by accident. Neway I wished that rsr goes unrestricted and see where they place but it's very difficult running against any car manufacturer that has more trq. Porsche's cupcars/rsr's have very small window in maintaining optimal
Trq and if u muck it ain't easy to recover. The positive of out of this-
Porsche has some of the best drivers to extract what they can. Mike
Old 06-10-2012, 09:03 AM
FINN987
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
The better drivers will still be in manuals for the most part for many years to come. Most of the people pining for pdk are the backmarkers anyways. Look at the fast GT3 guys in this forum, how many are Pdk homers? Not many.
I came from a 987.2 PDK to a 997.1 3.9L GT3 and will be in line for the 991 GT3 PDK and won't look back to the antiquated 997.

"Backmarker"? 1:58 @ Thunderhill CCW w/Cyclone; 2:06 @ Buttonwillow CW#1; 1:38 @ Laguna. 386 hp / 3380 lbs. Would do better in a PDK.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:55 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

No one is going to give you a prize for hamstringing yourself with an outdated transmission.

Let the manual rip. PDK is the new order. Game over.
PDK's biggest performance advantage is launching from a dead stop. Which racing series are you entering your 991GT3 PDK in that has starts from a dead stop? F1?

Truth is, shifting is the easiest part of a fast lap to master. On most tracks that we drive on (at least in CA), with few exceptions, there are a couple of 3-4 and 4-3 shifts on a given lap. I'll bet nobody here drives at the level where the shift time difference between a manual and PDK gets you a trophy.

However, if you are man enough to admit it, for those that are not close to the level of professional driving, PDK makes it easier to drive fast by taking a task out of the equation. If you are at the level where this helps you get into and out of turns faster, well, you are B level, and there are many people out there faster than you, regardless of transmission.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:34 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,783 Likes on 2,371 Posts

Originally Posted by FINN987
I came from a 987.2 PDK to a 997.1 3.9L GT3 and will be in line for the 991 GT3 PDK and won't look back to the antiquated 997.

"Backmarker"? 1:58 @ Thunderhill CCW w/Cyclone; 2:06 @ Buttonwillow CW#1; 1:38 @ Laguna. 386 hp / 3380 lbs. Would do better in a PDK.
jussi?
ur car is fast bc ur a FINN they have the driving gene!
think u know who I'm.
looking forward to chase u next time. I need to get my POS working right. throttle cable stuck at 81%.

btw I'm with u on PDk. I want just two pedals and preferably auto shifting. PDk I still need to shift

I assure the rest that Finn987 is not slow. most u the DE guys would be sucking his fumes.

Quick Reply: Rumormill - 991 GT3 to come with PDK only