Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Rumormill - 991 GT3 to come with PDK only

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 12:42 AM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
They'll offer both. Personally I can't wait for the pdk. I've driven a pdk car on track and loved it. No missed shifts, no money shifts, and it's a zillion times faster than you could hope to move the stick.
X2!

I drove the new Boxster with PDK last week at the Mosport DDT, lead follow exercise behind a professional in the current Cayman. His comment
in the pits was, " I thought I said 2 car lengths, Not 2 Feet" .

Next mid life crisis will definitely have PDK.

Last edited by TurboS; 09-25-2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:02 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

Originally Posted by Horstair
And I will bet you that the first iteration of the "GT3" will be a glorified Carrera S like some on this board have already suggested (there goes the "GT3" moniker), well nothing lasts forever...
Don't the F430 and Scuderia share the same engine/platform? It seems to work well for Ferrari. It doesn't make any business sense to have a completely unique engine for the GT cars.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:31 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by fc-racer
Don't the F430 and Scuderia share the same engine/platform? It seems to work well for Ferrari. It doesn't make any business sense to have a completely unique engine for the GT cars.
Allow me to throw in my two cents of nerd logic:

One might reason that the 430/458 is a "B" car for Ferrari (whereas the 599/F12 is their "A" product). Porsche, until the release of the mass-produced 918 derivative in 2015/6 (not the 918 itself, which is a halo car), uses the 911 to fill both the "A" and "B" slots: the former with TT's and GT's, and the latter with run-of-the-mill carreras. Up till now, that marketing ploy has been backed by a certain element of truth (GT1 block, tranny, suspension, weight, etc.)

I realize I'm at risk of having drunk too much koolaid myself, and I'm open to others challenging my assumption. I'm not remotely suggesting that a TT/GT is equivalent to a 599 (hell even I'm not that stupid), but one could reasonably point to very different products and price points within the 911 hierarchy when other manufacturers don't do the same.

If you accept the above logic, a Scud is a (superbly) refined product within the confines of the Fiat "B" car. All's well with customers and they know they're getting a superb B car within the Ferrari family. (Rad pls don't start flaming me, despite my love for Scuds they're just not the same thing as a 599GTO, right?)

Now, for Porsche to do the same and attempt to make an "A" car out of something that's not... that's one big bone to swallow for folks like us...
Old 06-08-2012, 03:49 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

i think porsche worries too much about nothing.
if pdk is in cup and rsr, then wins. it will sell.
there are very few true enthusiast out there. we are the minority. hard to believe, but that's the fact.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:53 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
Now, for Porsche to do the same and attempt to make an "A" car out of something that's not... that's one big bone to swallow for folks like us...
Another way to look at it is that Porsche doesn't really seek to play in the "A" market at all, except maybe when they have built cars like the Carrera GT and the forthcoming 918. This is reinforced by the price points they have chosen for their TT and GT cars which for the most part are nearly 6 figures cheaper than even the "B" cars offered by the competition from Ferrari, much less Ferrari's "A" models, and not much greater than their "normal" line models like the Carrera. For example, the last GT3 was priced within about $25K of a regular Carrera S; check a very few option boxes on an S and it was right in GT3 territory. This point is also borne out by Porsche's managment which realizes they don't really have an "A" offering, and have talked of a car to slot in-between the 911 and the 918.

One could argue that all 911's are really variations of the same theme. In that context, using the same basic chassis and engine for all the models in the line makes sense and no one should feel cheated by the fact that their supposed (but not really) "A" car shares design and some parts with it's lesser kin. Just my $.02.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 06-08-2012 at 04:40 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:12 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
One could argue that all 911's are really variations of the same theme. In that context, using the same basic chassis and engine for all the models in the line makes sense and no one should feel cheated by the fact that their supposed (but not really) "A" car shares design and some parts with it's lesser kin. Just my $.02.
Not to mention, the 996/997 is the only generation of 911 to not share drivetrain components between models throughout the range, from Turbo and RS models down to the base 911 (997 Turbos with 9A1 excepted).
Old 06-08-2012, 11:35 AM
sstjohn
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think I could order a 991 GT3 with PDK if manual is an option. I would feel like I was cheating. That being said, if PDK is the only option, it would not stop me from buying it.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:34 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

If PDK only I would prefer the 4.0.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:38 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by sstjohn
I don't think I could order a 991 GT3 with PDK if manual is an option. I would feel like I was cheating. That being said, if PDK is the only option, it would not stop me from buying it.
You gotta cheat to stay up front in GT3DE Cup.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:01 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i think porsche worries too much about nothing.
if pdk is in cup and rsr, then wins. it will sell.
there are very few true enthusiast out there. we are the minority. hard to believe, but that's the fact.
+1.
Also, most young kids these days will not know how to drive manual.
So winning or not, PDK will still sell well and account for 90%+ of all new 911s.
I am very sure that I will be faster in a PDK car than my current 3.8RS. But since I am not tracking for money and prize and even pride, I am more than happy to stick with my RS for some shifting fun.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:08 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

We could go fater today in a TTS PDK with all the go fater bits. (Mdrums!!)
YeT, I don't see many on the track.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:32 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
We could go fater today in a TTS PDK with all the go fater bits. (Mdrums!!)
YeT, I don't see many on the track.
The price penalty for features of no benefit on track and the extra 500lbs the TTS packs around has a lot to do with that, I expect.....
Old 06-08-2012, 02:20 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,864 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by RSRanger
The BMW E60M5/E63M6 issue turned out to be an abortion. The 6MT was an after thought. The S85 V10 engine is perfectly matched for the SMG III.
I own an M5 w/ SMG and have driven the 6MT and it sucks.
Fortunately this will not happen with Porsche.

Ranger (Sua Sponte)
Interesting. Have a neighbor that owned an SMG M5. Loved the car but sold it within a year because he couldn't stand the SMG. To each his own.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:31 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,602 Likes on 2,341 Posts

OK, if this is true (which I doubt), then why would Porsche offer a 7sp mt on the 991 Carerra (S) as an option?

there is no logic behind this, given all the existing generations have been mt only, and have sold to the likes of us and others, and given that the new car will be 9A1 based, presumably using the same (or slightly modified PDK box the other 991s are/will use) why would Porsche sell a "track oriented" car without the same options as the "regular" cars ...

I think this is all unfounded speculation ...

I'd be happy if they offer PDK for those that want it, I'd be unhappy for those that wanted a new 991 GT3 with mt if it is not available, but honestly, since I own the last generation of the 'real' GT3 ... do I care? - nope
Old 06-08-2012, 03:18 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No one is going to give you a prize for hamstringing yourself with an outdated transmission.

Let the manual rip. PDK is the new order. Game over.

Quick Reply: Rumormill - 991 GT3 to come with PDK only