Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

OT- my new MP4-12C

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 05:56 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban

really happy with the car so far- only driven about 300 miles to work and back the last few days...
"work"
Old 06-06-2012, 06:21 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Brutal
Old 06-06-2012, 08:12 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Must be getting hard to choose which one to drive into the office....
Old 06-09-2012, 03:01 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

the sad truth is that the freeway network in and around Los Angeles is a bit of a mess- so before I leave I have to log onto sigalert.com on my iphone and find out where the green zones are. I've got so many different routes to choose from between where I live and where I "work" (lol) but in either the CGT or the MP4 it allows the car to warm up a bit.

I'm really putting the MP4 through it's paces, and one thing it has over my trio of long gone GT3/RS cars is the ground clearance.

they really have made this car very usable- groceries fit in the trunk, etc.

only complaint is that the IRIS doesn't work yet- but hell for 25 free horsepower in october I can wait.

the acceleration in gear is really impressive- and because of the SSG gearbox, the freeway onramp is really my favorite place. the active aero is pretty cool so far as well- but when I'm bedding in the brakes next week I'll try to maintain focus on the road ahead and not the flappy wing in the rear view.

I don't think the car compares to the GT3RS, it's so much faster and less work to drive. On the track I'm sure I'd yearn for my old stick shift 2010 3.8RS, but in real life the MP4 is just more complete. who knows, maybe this winter at speedventures I'll get on track with the mp4 (buttonwillow) but in general my track days are open wheelers or with my mx5 team.

price wise it's obviously expensive, but as Rad points out they're cutting into F-car, bentley and aston not the 100k-150k 911 range so much.

most of us have multiple cars, and after having spent several thousand miles in the bentley, I'd say the only advantage a conti-GT has over the MP4 is luxury appointments for passengers. and the stereo system in the 2012 GT is amazing...I really enjoyed the car Bentley lent me to drive for 2 months.

vs an aston, the MP4 wins in every category except overall "classic" styling. astons look good (but that's about it.) they're not that fast and the cars are quite adept at staying in service bays

ferrari is ferrari, and if you are already in the loop and getting cars from them at MSRP, I can see how you'd keep that up- but for me the depreciation curve is ludicrous because of how frequently most buyers pay over sticker. I'd like to drive an 430Scud or 360CS on the track but the practicality of the MP4 vs the 458 or any other v8 ferrari is staggering. 22mpg combined means I don't have to stop as often for fuel so I can actually take it on road trips. the v8 cars I've driven or ridden in beat the **** out of you on anything less than brand new roads or in traffic. (but they look good right??)

my 599 was really fun but doesn't handle anywhere near as well as the mp4- it just sounds better at WOT and high RPM. it had a real trunk, which was very usable on my TX-CA roadtrip this past fall, but I'd take a bentley GT over the 599 any day (more surefooted, comfortable, just as fast on the freeway, better interior, etc)

every car has a different purpose and it will be interesting to see what the 960 does to get the game going while the 458 and mp4 have raised the bar so far.

if anyone is considering buying an mp4 you can also order a custom alcantara steering wheel (I really loved it in my gt3s!) for old time's sake.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:59 AM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

nice write-up. hope to see you at BW some day.
joe
Old 06-09-2012, 10:58 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No lap times and obviously the mp4 will walk away on a longer track

Old 06-09-2012, 11:11 AM
dfwporsche
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

How do you like the exhaust note on the MC? I hear they have improved it recently?
Old 06-09-2012, 12:33 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dfwporsche
How do you like the exhaust note on the MC? I hear they have improved it recently?
yes when you put the car in 'normal' mode it is relatively tame, but when you turn the dial to 'sport' it gets louder and 'track' it sounds great
Old 06-09-2012, 01:59 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

Siq - I'd pick the same color. Colors rainbow brite wouldnt choose.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:07 PM
dfwporsche
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

how long did this car take to get from when you ordered it? Local dealer in Dallas is quoting about 6-8 months
Old 06-09-2012, 04:09 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
yes when you put the car in 'normal' mode it is relatively tame, but when you turn the dial to 'sport' it gets louder and 'track' it sounds great
OT- my daughter who is 17 thinks you are one handsome fellow. Can u send her a photo of you with an autograph with her name on it? She wanted you to pitch for the Sf giants- me included. Back on topic- can a LSD be out on your car? Mike
Old 06-09-2012, 06:00 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Awesome new ride CJ ...enjoy.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:13 PM
bugra
AutoX

amazing daily drive & write up...
Old 06-10-2012, 02:29 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
OT- my daughter who is 17 thinks you are one handsome fellow. Can u send her a photo of you with an autograph with her name on it? She wanted you to pitch for the Sf giants- me included. Back on topic- can a LSD be out on your car? Mike
do you mean can an LSD be put in the mp4? that will be for a later model.

it's my understanding that the model releases follow this pattern:

12C coupe (now)
12C cab (coming)
smaller hp coupe (14?)
12C "GT3" (14/15?)

at least that's what the honchos from Mc- UK who just happened to be in town last summer alluded to...I was sorting through the options on my car in august or september at the Dallas showroom and they were in for some meetings. one of the guys is ex-porsche and said the development would somewhat follow the 911 in terms of various models being released.

there is also the P12 superduper mega car (918spyder rival) that will be coming out at some point. I requested to be placed on the list the second I heard rumors.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:35 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dfwporsche
how long did this car take to get from when you ordered it? Local dealer in Dallas is quoting about 6-8 months
I think that is fairly accurate. They sold me mine- Chris and I have been emailing since may '11 or earlier.

carbon engine bay panels
carbon side vane
carbon interior

iron brakes
alcantara steering wheel (non-standard option)
lightweight wheels
lightweight exhaust

passed on the carbon mirrors, chin spoiler, rear diffuser, and CC rotors. didn't think they were necessary and as I drove the iron rotors on my test drive I was plenty impressed with how it stops.

Quick Reply: OT- my new MP4-12C