Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

London to Monaco... the GT3 way.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 11:43 AM
globed
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default London to Monaco... the GT3 way.

Rennlisters, a cross-continental update. I've decided to base the GT3 out of Monaco for the summer: it's secure and near the Cote d'Azur Airport (Nice). Rather than suffering through the French motorways, I set out to take the Dutch Auto Train... a buddy joined for the trip down, my wife flew in when the hard work was out of the way.

See pic of the GT3 on the EuroTunnel Car Train... 30 minutes across the channel, I am a big fan. Next was a cruise across Belgium and into southern Holland, as the train leaves from Den Bosch. It's a beautiful town, haven't been there since I played in an ice hockey tourney in 1986.

The Autoslaaptrein (Dutch car train) has a variety of sleeping accommodations and two-level carriages for cars (see pic). You drive your own car... the Dutch helpers took great interest in making sure I didn't ruin my wheels... it's narrow in there, with iron bars down the sides. The lock bars are meant to go across your wheels to lock the car in place... there wasn't enough clearance under the front to fit these bars... so they heaved some sandbags into place. I was of course worried about potential damage... but felt relieved when I saw a few Ferraris and some classics. Strange psychology... more expensive cars getting damaged makes me less concerned about scratches and dings to mine!

The train ride was somewhat surreal. You don't do this to save time, to the contrary it's a LONG trip. But with a buddy in tow, it was a good time. While the sleeper cars are dated from 1972, the quasi-Germanic service means great sheets and duvets. The dining car was really nice, good food, and too many bottles of wine. A snuck bottle of Jack also helped the trip. It's rather festive, as bikers make great use of this train, loads of Harleys from the UK, all great people.

Having left at 430pm on Friday, we arrived about 10am on Saturday in Alessandria, Italy... some delays along the way. A German car train had priority unloading before us... and to make matters frustrating yet entertaining, the Italians docked the German car carriages the wrong way, so all the drivers had to back out . I'm not sure what was worse... standing in the sun with a splitting headache hangover or seeing drivers trying to reverse down the length of four carriages without scraping their wheels (not all were successful). We finally did offload and away we headed to Monaco. I charted a course through Barolo country, followed by the Col Tende, Col Brouis, and the bottom part of the Col Turini (see pic).

The weather was mixed, but we had a blast. Exhaust note bouncing off stone walls, through tunnels, and across country. Just awesome, this is what it's all about. Highlights include running at speed with the windows down, having a massive insect get sucked into the window and splat onto my glasses.

We did arrive in one piece, to my buddy's surprise, at the Monte Carlo Bay Hotel & Resort. Fabulous hotel, new and modern with great pool facilities. If you've never been to Monaco, manage your expectations. A very safe place, however a bit sleazy depending on your view. No shortage of older men with models (or something) on their arms. This was a few weeks prior to the F1 race, so everything was in full glory... meaning it was AWESOME to run through the 'tunnel' and other bits with full signage and pits all around . They parked the GT3 in front of the hotel, next to it's new best friends: Ferrari, Lambo, Bentley, and what looked like a custom very race-y Spyker. Nothing wrong with being judged by the friends you keep.

Had a HUGE night out in Monaco, bar to bar, club to club, ending at Jimmy'z. Although the drinks are legendarily expensive, they are BIG pours - making it reasonable value compared to most of Europe. Thankfully we got to sleep at 6am, as I was due to swap my buddy for my wife at the airport at 10am. Against all odds I was successful, swept her away to an amazing lunch - Auberge de la Mandone in Peillon, up in the hills above Monaco, nearly made myself sick buzzing the GT3 through the switchbacks. I even managed to hold down the really nice french lunch with wine (cold sweats were unavoidable).

Another night in Monaco, with a nice dinner at Mozza, followed by a great lunch at Le Pirate in St Jean Cap Ferrat the next day. Finally parked the GT3 in it's safe spot, and took the helicopter to the airport (see pic). Until next time, which will be this coming weekend when we pick up the GT3 and head to the Ligurian coast in Italy!
Attached Images      
The following users liked this post:
ljmartyre (12-21-2022)
Old 06-02-2012, 12:26 PM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Nice! Is that a connecticut plate?? Hahaha
Old 06-02-2012, 12:46 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Great write up! Thanks!!
Old 06-02-2012, 12:56 PM
sanchezdds
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a great trip. This is what life is all about, enjoy your trip to its fullest. Keep the awesome pics coming.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:14 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

Now this is more my speed thx for sharing!
Old 06-02-2012, 01:15 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Excellent! Thanks for sharing. Anymore photos?
Old 06-02-2012, 01:29 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

What a great journey- loved reading about it!!
Old 06-02-2012, 01:35 PM
C6 ZED
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default London to Monaco

Excellent post - enjoyed the read. Looking forward to next installment. Don't be shy about posting more pics - hotels and restaurants with GT3's new friends, models on the arms of older men, etc.

Thanks
Old 06-02-2012, 02:48 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

Thanks for posting, great trip and great destination

I was there last weekend! Dont forget to go to Eze on a sunny day
What a great place, I must go back without the F1 circus in town.
Attached Images  
Old 06-02-2012, 02:56 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts

Now that's the life! Nice.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:46 AM
ELPORSCHA
Racer

Wonderful life in South of France. Just like in the movies. Sweet!
Old 06-03-2012, 08:23 AM
cbweaver1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ridin' in style, great post!
Old 06-03-2012, 12:10 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,924 Likes on 1,731 Posts

subscribed
Old 06-03-2012, 04:16 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 210 Posts

Great post!

Quick Reply: London to Monaco... the GT3 way.