Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Centerlock Hub Failure Buttonwillow 5/25/12

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 10:31 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Wow...glad you are ok and I really hope you have the funds for a lawyer to fight this.

1- did you have track insurance to cover the lose of the car?

What happened to you among a few other things recently really has me re-thinking the DE hobby. I really really love getting out on the track and all the great friends I've made but with what I've been through in life and the cost of track insurance I have many other thoughts crossing my mind recently...then I read about your failed center lock hub and unfortuantly my GTS has center locks.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:32 PM
DJN
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Dear Geoff,,

I am so sorry to hear about your CL incident, but happy that you and your passenger were unharmed. Our cars are seriously fast!

Hopefully, PCNA comes to their senses and helps you out in the end.

Best regards,
Doug N

PS. The 991 GT cars will be even faster, hopefully CL delete will be an option.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:39 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Wow...glad you are ok and I really hope you have the funds for a lawyer to fight this.

1- did you have track insurance to cover the lose of the car?

What happened to you among a few other things recently really has me re-thinking the DE hobby. I really really love getting out on the track and all the great friends I've made but with what I've been through in life and the cost of track insurance I have many other thoughts crossing my mind recently...then I read about your failed center lock hub and unfortuantly my GTS has center locks.
You worry too much.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:07 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
You worry too much.
You sound like my wife.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:12 PM
NITEALB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear ur safe. Its weird because i spent most of this weekend tracking my rs telling all the ferrari boys how reliable my 911's have been. i do have one question. will pcna attempt to blame the use of non-factory wheels (ur sig says gmg wheels) as a potential cause fro this incident or is that a moot point simply because you were at the track. dont mean to be an ****, just wondering...
Old 05-30-2012, 11:14 PM
forhamilton
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Really sorry about your car. Glad everyone is ok.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:21 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default is there a pattern?

PCCB brakes marketed as racing technology - don't hold up to track use.

Center locks advertised as racing technology - don't hold up to track use.

Hmm...
Old 05-30-2012, 11:24 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Good luck.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:46 PM
bensf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow that's scary. Glad you and your passenger came out of it unharmed.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:00 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,631 Likes on 2,314 Posts

i was there to witness
I'm pretty certain CL was done correctly
OP is a very good driver
this is a mechanical failure not human error.
if racing thn sure, no warranty
but this is a DE, much like driving illegally fast on street. I don't understand why it's not covered? so we should either by these cars and drive at 5 mph in pkg lot or do 150 mph on street bc then warranty will cover it???

sorry to see the hoe on case, G. but seeing ur seed, u should just get a cuppie. rob will help with that!
Old 05-31-2012, 12:08 AM
mdrums
Race Director

With all the people on this forum all across the world you would think someone on here would know someone...like a suspension or platform engineer at Porsche...that could offer some advise on Center Locks and what could possibly be happening.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:34 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did this happen on the GMG or factory wheels? I have seen multiple posts about the nuts coming loose on GMG wheels in this forum.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:47 AM
DJN
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
Did this happen on the GMG or factory wheels? I have seen multiple posts about the nuts coming loose on GMG wheels in this forum.
It still seems fishy: "Threaded piece of hub is still contained within nut." as noted by the OP.

It will be hard to tell if the nut actually came loose. If the hub physically broke, is the thread still fully in the nut?

Hmmmm.......
Old 05-31-2012, 12:49 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike- there are a very many variables having nothing to do with manufacturing defect that could have caused this to happen. We all know it is not a fault-tolerant system. Everything has to be right or a failure can occur. None of us know details or maintenance history of OP's CL system.

Once a CL nut has for whatever reason lost torque, loads are then transferred into the hub threaded area and into the trapezoidal threads which will eventually cause the hub to break at the threads. The system is designed for loads to go from wheel flange to hub flange.

The fact is, that when properly maintained and cared for, the CL system is a strong and secure method to connect the wheel to the hub. The problems start with improper service procedures and in the case of some wheels, painted CL conical seating areas where the paint comes off under tracking conditions and the CL then loses torque.

There are other reasons that can cause a CL nut to not be torqued properly or to lose torque, none of which should be of concern unless proper procedures are not followed.

I have total confidence in my car on track because I know the CL system is and always has been properly maintained. With all this said, it is no secret I am no friend of the CL system.

Originally Posted by mdrums
With all the people on this forum all across the world you would think someone on here would know someone...like a suspension or platform engineer at Porsche...that could offer some advise on Center Locks and what could possibly be happening.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:51 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
I have thousands of track miles on gmg wheels, no worries with them

Sucks to hear it happened

Mechanical parts fail, it's part of the game. This is one real good reason to carry a track specific policy

Quick Reply: Centerlock Hub Failure Buttonwillow 5/25/12