Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Question on GT2RS vs GT2

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 04:34 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rad:

Now here are some real shifts, and I'm not powershifting. Below what you see is my fastest lap from Road Atlanta. I only upshift 5 times at Road Atlanta over the course of a lap. No cup car cables, and a factory SSK, which still has a long throw, no short gear ratios, and the 996 TT clutch engagement is crap, and at this point, no tiny clutch either.

Pay attention to just after the 117.7 marker, that is the short back straight between turn 5 & 6 and if you can't tell anything else, that is much faster than Peter or Randy's shifts you have posted recently, and then after that is the long back straight (7-10a), my shift from 3-4th you can't even tell it happened. I short shifted 4th-5th because I was looking at the predictive lap timer and trying to subtract from my fastest lap up until that point to see if I was going to beat the lap record. Forgot to watch the revs.

But I'm not even power shifting here, there are quicker shifts to be had, that I'm sure of. But why risk the gearbox for hundreths of a second right now? The gear ratio gap from 3-4th is not ideal in my stock gearbox or my acceleration would be even better. My new 5.5 Tilton Metallic should help.

I have videos that show no gapping as well from sequentials.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:02 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You shift faster than Trakcar, but I can see the gap on upshifting, look at the 77.787 point, and the 147.787 point, if your car had a sequential box, the acceleration curve would grow continuously at the same parabolic rate. You would need to overlay the car with the sequential box to the car with the manual box.

From your velocity vs. time graph, I took two upshift points, using the same curve, I just moved it to the point where the upshift would occur with a PDK transmission.

In the first point, you lose 5 mph, essentially at the same time you would be going 5 mph faster, and that pays off for that entire acceleration section. In the 2nd one you lose 3 mph (using the Traqmate scale of 6 points every 20mph).

Last edited by NJ-GT; 08-13-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:49 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are smoking if you think I would gain 5 mph or even 3 mph. Very selective of you to pick my two slowest shifts when the point here is that the shifts can be done way faster. And like i said this is not even power shifting either. And you can't even make a graph for my 3-4 shift on the back straight. The point is that it can be done and I just showed you.

The difference in speed is small, very small even on my slow shifts.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:35 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,403 Likes on 748 Posts

+1
Old 05-25-2012, 09:39 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 92 Posts

The advantage with a pdk or f1 is not necessarily the quicker shifting, just the assurance that you won't lock up the rear in braking that costs way more during recovery than a few tenths.

I am not the best shifter and can shift a 996 cup consistently in 200 ms.

Quick Reply: Question on GT2RS vs GT2