Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Question on GT2RS vs GT2

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 06:23 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Aerokitted
Not sure what you're smoking, no offense, but a couple of tenths is car lengths at speed. No human can "neutralize" the advantages of a Porsche transmission robot doing it for you via a dainty pull of a paddle up and down the gears let alone lap after lap after lap.

It is akin to having someone tell you to keep working on your jump shot and you will neutralize Kobe on the courts. Dreams. Hate or love it, but I think Im stating the obvious that PDK and future iterations of it will be the preferred trans choice simply because the consumers will prefer what's fastest. And all the electronic wizardry will be designed around it to make it a slam dunk.

No one enjoys being passed and no one likes throwing out excuses because it makes you look like a dweeb. I love manuals, but the writing is on the wall.

P.S. gt2rs is special to me. Modded gt2 is a modded gt2.
I meant a couple of tenths over the course of a lap. Porsche hasn't even run faster times in the Pdk vs manual themselves. Do your homework.

And I'll just keep right on smoking.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:05 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I was chased by a ZR1 last month at Sebring, 638Hp of big American muscle V8 with a supercharger. I have been chased by Viper ACR as well, and multitude of Aero Beetles, every time they shift gears I build a small gap, and we go through multiple shifts in one lap.

My F1 tranny shifts in 60ms, the PDK has no power interruption so it shifts even faster. The standard F430 shifts in 200ms. A manual transmission car with a fast drover can't shift faster than 250ms (destructive powershift), with average drivers doing it in 400ms-500ms (0.4-0.5 secs).

So, every 5 upshift in my Scuderia, the car with a manual transmission being power shifted is off the gas by a full second. At Sebring I go through 12 upshifts at full power (I should do 14 upshifts instead), compared to a car with manual transmission and same gearing, the manual transmission car would be off the power by 2.5 secs if powershifted, and 5 seconds if normally shifted. Being off the gas on acceleration sections for 5 seconds would make the laps slower.

NASA uses a penalty for cars with a sequential transmission. Using a 2010 GT3 RS as an example (3,300 lbs with driver and low on fuel, and 425 whp), the penalty is the equivalent to removing 84 lbs from the car, or adding 11Hp, if the car is equipped with a sequential transmission. 100 lbs removed from a car in the 3,300 lbs range, drops close to 0.8 secs a lap at Sebring.

I think the difference at a track like Sebring is 0.5-0.7 secs.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:13 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Do your homework
You just got schooled.

(coughcough)
Old 05-24-2012, 07:35 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
I was chased by a ZR1 last month at Sebring, 638Hp of big American muscle V8 with a supercharger. I have been chased by Viper ACR as well, and multitude of Aero Beetles, every time they shift gears I build a small gap, and we go through multiple shifts in one lap.

My F1 tranny shifts in 60ms, the PDK has no power interruption so it shifts even faster. The standard F430 shifts in 200ms. A manual transmission car with a fast drover can't shift faster than 250ms (destructive powershift), with average drivers doing it in 400ms-500ms (0.4-0.5 secs).

So, every 5 upshift in my Scuderia, the car with a manual transmission being power shifted is off the gas by a full second. At Sebring I go through 12 upshifts at full power (I should do 14 upshifts instead), compared to a car with manual transmission and same gearing, the manual transmission car would be off the power by 2.5 secs if powershifted, and 5 seconds if normally shifted. Being off the gas on acceleration sections for 5 seconds would make the laps slower.

NASA uses a penalty for cars with a sequential transmission. Using a 2010 GT3 RS as an example (3,300 lbs with driver and low on fuel, and 425 whp), the penalty is the equivalent to removing 84 lbs from the car, or adding 11Hp, if the car is equipped with a sequential transmission. 100 lbs removed from a car in the 3,300 lbs range, drops close to 0.8 secs a lap at Sebring.

Rad, two points: first, I think your assumption of how long a quick crisp shift takes from a top tier drover is a bit long....pro level drivers shift VERY quickly up & down, without "powershifting" or other destructive behavior; and second, you have no idea how well or crisply or quickly the ZR1 (a car not known for an especially quick shift link mechanism) was being shifted and/or clutched.

I tend to agree with Dez that the difference on most non-Nordschleife tracks would be within the margin for data acquisition error with the same top drover on the same day.

Originally Posted by Aerokitted
You just got schooled.

(coughcough)
How so????????
Old 05-24-2012, 07:43 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

In this graph from Trakcar and my Fiat, you can notice the impact on manual transmission upshifting compared to a fast sequential. Notice that every time Trakcar upshifts the gap in speed between both cars grows drastically.

This is my Fiat data from my first event at Sebring (Winterfest 2011), back in the day, the car was on the stock exhaust and ECU, with 428 whp, and around 200 lbs lighter than Trakcar's 3.8 GT3 RS. Both cars with similar power.

Notice the acceleration is very similar (with slight advantage Fiat due to lighter weight), but as soon as shifting time comes, the gap grows significantly.

Last edited by NJ-GT; 08-13-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:00 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

These are results from the 2012 Carrera S with the 7-speed manual tranny vs. PDK. Link to full article ==> http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...ed-manual.html

7-speed Manual/PDK
0-30 (sec.): 1.9 1.5
0-45 (sec.): 3.0 2.6
0-60 (sec.): 4.6 3.9
0-60 with 1-ft Rollout (sec.): 4.4 3.7
0-75 (sec.): 6.3 5.5
1/4-mile (sec @ mph): 12.7 @ 113.2 12.0 @ 116.5

Notice that from 30mph to 75mph (2 shifts required), the PDK car gets there in 4 seconds, while the manual transmission car does it in 4.4 secs, this negates any advantage the launch control and PDK have. The manual tranny car loses 0.2 secs per shift.

Notice that between 60mph and the end of the 1/4 mile, both cars run for 8.1 seconds, but in these 8.1 seconds, the PDK car gets to 116.5 mph while the manual transmission car gets to 113.2 mph both of them starting at 60 mph.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:10 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Rad is spot on. Maybe a 997 Cup Sequential would be minimal difference. The gap grows larger on boosted cars as the PDK doesn't have the boost fall off during shift as it is so fast.

Peter
Old 05-24-2012, 08:33 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

TrakCar is notoriously slow shifting, he even admits this frequently.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:01 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT

Mag drivers? Really? I'm not about to even get into that. I can post the Fifth Gear video where the manual Cayman beats the PDK one though if we are going to turn this into a joke. What times were the Vette's and Vipers running? If you are gapping them, I have to assume they are slow (for the potential of the cars). They should be blowing your doors off anytime you are near them on a straight. Peter does not powershift or anything close. So your sample data is flawed. I'm talking about somebody getting after it.

But I'll give you .5-.7 at a track like Sebring over an average shifter, but certainly not a power shifter or close to it. You will not gap me on my shifts, that I can assure you.

NASA also penalizes AWD .5 (which is why I took mine out). And that's a bigger penalty than the transmission. Do you honestly think AWD is worth almost 2 seconds (on a penalty scale compared to paddle shift penalty) of RWD (if not raining)?

Truth be told, the extra 80 lbs will negate your extra straight speed once you get to the braking zone and hold you back in cornering.

A 160lb passenger is worth 1-2 cars in a roll race. Half of that is .5 to 1 car distance. Think on that, and then getting into braking and cornering with 80 extra lbs. That's worth some time.

And we haven't even equalized the gearing (with a real driver) or clutches (with a real driver) yet. No doubt the dual clutch makes it effortless, but it's also faster in auto mode, with no input from the driver. I mean who really wants that?

Porsche had to sandbag the Manual 997.2 by fitting the PDK version with sport cups to get a gap, prior to they had none by their own admission. And the 997.2 did not have equal gearing, and did not have light weight clutch = not fair comparison = fail. Sport cups are worth that much by themselves. And there are a LOT of shifts at the nurburgring.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:09 PM
Gt3 Racer RS
Banned

This is just like the question between the GT3 RS and The RS 4.0! Is it really worth the extra 50 grand? Some say yes, some say no! Personal decision!
Old 05-24-2012, 10:46 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Gt3 Racer RS
This is just like the question between the GT3 RS and The RS 4.0! Is it really worth the extra 50 grand? Some say yes, some say no! Personal decision!
If Jeff Zwart, Chris Harris and Mooty own a 4.0L, then yes, it is worth it
Old 05-24-2012, 11:13 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

If you buy what you want and not what others want you'll be much happier in the long run.

Last edited by Nick Wong; 05-24-2012 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Damn iPad autocorrect!
Old 05-24-2012, 11:16 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
If you you what you want and not what others want you'll be much happier in the long run.
this
Old 05-25-2012, 04:01 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

it's not just buying what you want but also what is practical, affordable, usable.

if you can afford to USE the car (on the freeway or the track) vs PARK (cars and coffee- snooze) the car, that's the real question.

I can afford to drive my CGT around town, commute, etc but would rather have a GT3 or a GT2 as a track car (although I have a SRF and mazdas for racing instead as they're infinitely more practical to race) the GT2RS and GT2 have the same price in consumables, but for the 100k or so delta you can have a lot of fun, burn up your tires and brakes all you want!

let's face it- anything over 400hp is purely bling HP on the road, unless you live in montana or the isle of man, or europe and can actually stretch the legs. I live in LA, and other than some fun canyon stuff or long road trips, I'm never gonna need 600hp from a CGT or a GT2RS. GT3, GT2 in stock power format is PLENTY OF CAR.

don't buy something you can't actually afford to use, it will just cause you anxiety attacks every time you have to park the damn thing.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:11 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Which is why I race karts (cheapest form of national road racing available) and play with cars now. A weekend of karts at Daytona is 1/10th or less the cost of cars at similar levels of competition, and the ride is way more of a rush.

Quick Reply: Question on GT2RS vs GT2