Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RSS or Champion Dog Bones and Toe steer kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 03:28 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RSS or Champion Dog Bones and Toe steer kit

Trying to make a decision between the RSS bits or the Champion. I know Champion is using Aurora bearings, does anyone know what the RSS is using? I also happen to like the dust boots that are included with the champion pieces. Just wanted to get others opinions on the two and if you were considering both which you went with and why.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:01 PM
cbweaver1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can only write that I installed RSS in my car and am very satisfied for the following reasons:

1.) The last time I checked RSS did all of their own mfg. in Califronia. You should ask where these parts are made before you order. Some are made in Taiwan and rebranded. This was important to me.

2.) I had dog bones in my car for about a year and realized I didn't need them because of the alignment I like to run. I sold them right here on RL and got just about what I paid for them over a year before. Yeah, they were in good shape but the buyer (I got several hits) trusted RSS in the suspension area because this is a specialty for them and they've been doing it a long time.

3.) If they're good enough to go into Leh Keen's GT3RS they're damn well good enough to go inot my GT3, LOL!

I hope this helps and I wish you luck in your decision.

* I have no affiliation with RSS other than a retail customer.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:00 PM
kingleh
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 17 Posts

I have experience with the RSS and they are great!
Old 05-23-2012, 06:11 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I toured RSS in January and RSS makes all their own stuff except the rod ends. I think they use FK which are really good too. There is high end FK and Aurora and there is mid grade too from what I found out when looking into this type of stuff. I know many people using RSS with no issues...RSS makes a lot of product for other company's too...RSS is top notch product and the guys that run RSS are great.

The adjustment part of the Champion is different that the way all other dog bones are done from what I've seen.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:18 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My Cayman has RSS LCA at all corners, and RSS toe links, much better quality than the OEM stuff, and the car handling has gone from stupid boring to fun.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:09 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 210 Posts

My brand new RSS dogbones are for sale, if you're interested.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:47 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,603 Likes on 2,342 Posts

RSS!!!!
Old 05-24-2012, 05:48 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have all RSS with no complaints and the service was spot on
Old 05-24-2012, 06:18 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I have no experience with Champion products, however I have over 30,000 miles on my RSS pieces and couldn't be happier! They are as tight as they where when new and have had no problems.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:01 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The pinch bolt style arms that Champion designed are the way to go- they are based on a proven race car design used in prototypes and formula cars. The pinch bolt puts a lot less stress on the heim threads compared to a locknut and they make adjusting the arms far easier, turning it into a one Allen wrench affair. In tight spaces that counts for a lot.

There are different grades of Heims from each source. Check and compare before buying. If I could do it again I would go with the Champion ones...
Old 05-30-2012, 07:23 PM
997driver
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Go with RSS. They are proven. If you need dust boots, let them know and they will probably send you some with your arms.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:28 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

+1 RSS!
Toe links, dog bones and tarmac series control arms in....and all good!

Old 05-31-2012, 11:57 PM
zweebach
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I do like the locking mechanism that Champion have incorporated on their links. As far as I can tell, the benefit is that when the linkage is locked down, it's less likely to change the adjustment versus a jam nut style in the RSS. That being said, the jam nut style has been around for quite some time and seems to be effective. I do however like that The RSS parts are manufactured in the U.S. I have even a third brand on my car, so I have no preference between the two. The Champion pieces are more expensive and don't indicate where they are manufactured. The choice seems clear to me - RSS.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:17 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
My brand new RSS dogbones are for sale, if you're interested.
Sold.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:36 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zweebach
I do like the locking mechanism that Champion have incorporated on their links. As far as I can tell, the benefit is that when the linkage is locked down, it's less likely to change the adjustment versus a jam nut style in the RSS. That being said, the jam nut style has been around for quite some time and seems to be effective. I do however like that The RSS parts are manufactured in the U.S. I have even a third brand on my car, so I have no preference between the two. The Champion pieces are more expensive and don't indicate where they are manufactured. The choice seems clear to me - RSS.
The Champion ones are much easier to lock in, as someone who adjusts rod arms on a kart every race weekend can attest (up to 10 times a day for three days a weekend sometimes), jam nuts suck- the settings migrate from when you adjust them to when you lock them down, necessitating an approximation of where you want to end up rather than actually being dead on immediately. The pinch bolt eliminates that margin of error and saves a lot of time- each arm with jam nuts in reality probably gets adjusted (loosened, then cinched up again) at least twice before ending up where you want it to be.

Of course it's all a moot point if you (generally, not specifically) don't really care about such things, since a vast majority of owners don't do their own alignment (including me... I am also speaking as someone who also has third party components, neither RSS nor Champion suspension arms).

Quick Reply: RSS or Champion Dog Bones and Toe steer kit